2017 XLT 2.3 4WD Recurring Torque Converter/Transmission Issues (Customer Satisfaction Program 20N07) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2017 XLT 2.3 4WD Recurring Torque Converter/Transmission Issues (Customer Satisfaction Program 20N07)

Cruik87

Reaction score
City, State
Waterford
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer XLT
I have a 2017 Explorer 2.3L EcoBoost with 109k miles that has on several occasions been slipping, shuttering and experiencing lack of acceleration. The PCM reflash (designed to prevent or slow these issues) was performed in January 2021 (after we first noticed the issue occur). I've recently taken to local Ford dealer who confirmed issues with the torque converter / transmission. While repairs will be covered under warranty (per 20N07) I'm concerned because the entire transmission including torque converter was just replaced brand new by Ford in August 2020 by the previous owner. A few months later after we purchased was when we first noticed the slipping/shuttering and then had the PCM reflash performed in January 2021. Then a few months after the PCM reflash we STILL noticed more slipping/shuttering and issues with acceleration...

While the issue should be "fixed" as Ford will replace the torque converter (again) and repair internal transmission parts, I'm concerned that this is bound to reoccur. My only thought is maybe there's a better chance that this time the fix will hold now that the PCM reflash will have been performed (whereas the PCM reflash was not yet available when the new transmission in August 2020 was installed)?

Just trying to determine what is the best long-term option given all the transmission issues this vehicle has experienced to date.

Anyone have thoughts or similar experiences with the 2.3 Explorer?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
If the original owner used OEM replacement parts then they would have a 2 year, unlimited mileage warranty on them. I'm not sure if that includes subsequent owners.

Peter

I have a 2017 Explorer 2.3L EcoBoost with 109k miles that has on several occasions been slipping, shuttering and experiencing lack of acceleration. The PCM reflash (designed to prevent or slow these issues) was performed in January 2021 (after we first noticed the issue occur). I've recently taken to local Ford dealer who confirmed issues with the torque converter / transmission. While repairs will be covered under warranty (per 20N07) I'm concerned because the entire transmission including torque converter was just replaced brand new by Ford in August 2020 by the previous owner. A few months later after we purchased was when we first noticed the slipping/shuttering and then had the PCM reflash performed in January 2021. Then a few months after the PCM reflash we STILL noticed more slipping/shuttering and issues with acceleration...

While the issue should be "fixed" as Ford will replace the torque converter (again) and repair internal transmission parts, I'm concerned that this is bound to reoccur. My only thought is maybe there's a better chance that this time the fix will hold now that the PCM reflash will have been performed (whereas the PCM reflash was not yet available when the new transmission in August 2020 was installed)?

Just trying to determine what is the best long-term option given all the transmission issues this vehicle has experienced to date.

Anyone have thoughts or similar experiences with the 2.3 Explorer?

HIIII.

I am exactly in the same situation as you currently, my vehicle went into the shop for a torque converter recall.
And I have the same doubt, what will happen next.

Can you tell me about your experience, how was it after updating the PCM and subsequently repairing the automatic transmission, both due to the recall?

Thank you so much!

HIIII.

I am exactly in the same situation as you currently, my vehicle went into the shop for a torque converter recall.

Can you tell me about your experience, how was it after updating the PCM and subsequently repairing the automatic transmission, both due to the recall?

Thank you so much!
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I doubt that the member you quoted is around any longer. He was last seen here on September 22, 2021.
Perhaps others can answer the question.

Peter

HIIII.

Thank you so much!
We purchased a used 2017 Explorer (2.3 Eco, FWD, 77k miles) in October of 2023. I noticed a slight shutter a couple of weeks after purchasing it. I had the transmission fluid changed but it didn't help. Over the past couple of weeks the problems have progressively worsened. Last week it was flairing between the 2-3 shift and banging hard into reverse. Two days ago, it went into limp mode so we had it towed to a transmission shop. They want $5800 for a rebuild. It has codes of P2701 and P0757 indicating hard part damage with friction elements. In a moment of desperation, I started checking to see if there were any recalls and stumbled across Customer Satisfaction Program 20N07. I'm waiting for the Ford Dealership to let me know if my vehicle qualifies. I'm doubtful but it's worth a shot.

^^ Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
You should try and find out if the original owner ever had 20B27 done. The 20N07 program extends the warranty for 12 month from having 20B27 completed. If that one wasn't done, perhaps you may have a case for having it covered.

Peter

Thank you for the warm welcome. That is what I'm hoping for. The dealer has our VIN information and should be getting back to us today.

Thank you for the warm welcome. That is what I'm hoping for. The dealer has our VIN information and should be getting back to us today.
Any updates? Seems like I may be shaving. The same problem

Back