2017 XLT AWD 3.5L

davizzel

Reaction score
City, State
CHICAGO
Year, Model & Trim Level
09 jetta
Hello,

I have my eyes on a 2017 Explorer with 43k miles. I have been doing a bit of research and wondering what the interval should be on the water pump for the 3.5L engine? I will be going to look at this vehicle at Carmax and wondering if this is a good negotiation point.

Thank you,

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
There really is no "interval" for the water pump. As some have said "it's crapshoot" as to whether it will fail or not. Some have gone well over 100k miles without issues, others have had issues at half the mileage. It might be worthwhile to look at getting a Ford ESP. Also, check the lip of the hood for signs of bubbling. This may also help; List of Useful Threads - Hints for a Pre-Pick Up Inspection & Used Ex. Check List
BTW, which trim are you looking at?

Peter

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
There really is no "interval" for the water pump. As some have said "it's crapshoot" as to whether it will fail or not. Some have gone well over 100k miles without issues, others have had issues at half the mileage. It might be worthwhile to look at getting a Ford ESP. Also, check the lip of the hood for signs of bubbling. This may also help; List of Useful Threads - Hints for a Pre-Pick Up Inspection & Used Ex. Check List
BTW, which trim are you looking at?

Peter
Hi!

I am looking at the XLT trim. Thank you for the useful information.

My wife and I bought an '17 back in May. Love it. It had about the same mileage, around 41k. Only repair has been a failed front wheel bearing. With the pandemic we are not driving quite as much, but we do have right at 53k on it now. No regrets. Ours has the Sport appearance package, moonroof, middle row bucket seats, tow package, and electronics package. I suggest an extended warranty for your peace of mind. And Carmax does not negotiate...

Back