2018 / 19 XLT Explorer engine cover? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2018 / 19 XLT Explorer engine cover?

metroplex

Reaction score
City, State
Detroit, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Ford Explorer XLT
Did any of the Explorers (16-up) come with engine covers with the N/A 3.5 engine? My 2018 XLT doesn't have an engine cover and I noticed when I wash the car that water puddles on top of the intake manifold. I'm just concerned it can then drip or flood over the ignition coil packs.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My 2018 XLT with the 3.5N/A similarly lacks a cover. I’ve had a few vehicles without covers that tended to have some pooling in one spot or another, but never had an issue.

I just received a new engine cover and it is labeled as an insulator. The entire cover is soft polyurethane rubber (PUR), same stuff they use as insulation for the direct injection pumps. I'm curious if it will retain a lot of heat on the intake manifold, or is it mainly for sound insulation. The mounting points seem to be a fastener, christmas tree fastener, and the oil filler cap. I could have sworn the earlier Explorers used a hard plastic cover?

I could have sworn the earlier Explorers used a hard plastic cover?

I’m thinking they did. Parts diagrams from like 2011-2012 seem to show them, and I’m pretty sure I’ve seen one in person...

I thought the 16 3.5L had a hard cover just like my 17 2.3L EB.

That being said, 2018 is the year of the cost cutting--I've seen some cheapening of the models across the line--Escapes without low washer fluid warnings, Focuses with single instead of dual tone horns.... Explorer was slightly more impacted with the XLTs losing heavy duty calipers in the rear. Gotta go Limited or better to get that now.

All said, I'm pretty sure that cover just adds a very modest amount of sound deadening judging by the insulation on the reverse, and not much more than that.

That being said, 2018 is the year of the cost cutting--I've seen some cheapening of the models across the line--Escapes without low washer fluid warnings, Focuses with single instead of dual tone horns.... Explorer was slightly more impacted with the XLTs losing heavy duty calipers in the rear. Gotta go Limited or better to get that now.

Yeah, I see Ford getting into old bad habits on some of that, but they held off longer than usual in the cycles. I was shopping as the 2017-2018MY transition took place, so that brake change (along with deleting fog lamps from 200A) were factors in my mind.

I’m actually glad there isn’t a cover on mine, because I’ve had stuff take up residence in there on other vehicles. My 2005 Bonneville was particularly bad about collecting debris under there, too.

The new insulation cover is thick, maybe 0.5 to 1 inch thick polyurethane rubber all around.

My XLT is stripped down as it is bad the only thing I wish it had was the HD rear brakes. But after logging more miles, I think the brakes are working better. Still not what I'd cosnider good. But this is almost Jacques The Knife Nasser level of cost cutting.

That's how the parts stores show it as an appearance cover. Once the package arrives, the sealed Ford bag has the part # and label that shows "Insulation". This PUR cover has the Ford oval logo on it, but it's just an embossed logo.

For those with the engine covers on their non-Sports, how does the front of the cover secure to the engine?

On this insulator, the rear has a Christmas tree fastener that screws into the throttle body, and a push clip that retains to the intake manifold. But the front of the insulator just sits over the engine - just literally flops on top of it. I'm thinking that the airflow over the engine could cause the insulator/cover to flap around a bit. I don't want anything triggering the knock sensor. It just seems wrong that it just flops on top of the engine.

The part number is BB5Z-6N041-A

knock sensor is tuned to metallic hammering frequency only. The cover on the engine is mostly to stop sound and/or for appearance. What it does best is retain heat and cause premature age on plastic parts and help rodents stay warm.

For those with the engine covers on their non-Sports, how does the front of the cover secure to the engine?

On this insulator, the rear has a Christmas tree fastener that screws into the throttle body, and a push clip that retains to the intake manifold. But the front of the insulator just sits over the engine - just literally flops on top of it. I'm thinking that the airflow over the engine could cause the insulator/cover to flap around a bit. I don't want anything triggering the knock sensor. It just seems wrong that it just flops on top of the engine.

The part number is BB5Z-6N041-A
FYI, on mine (Ecoboost) the only thing that holds the front down is the Oil Cap.

Peter

The SHO has the same cover as the Explorer Sport, and it has the 3 ball sockets and that rubber gasket around the filler. But it's a totally different setup from the N/A 3.5

Reserved50, when I had my Crown Vic, the engine cover stud seized to the throttle body housing so I got rid of the cover. Rodents still lived on top of the intake manifold.

they will still sit up there but its not as cozy, it also makes it easier to see the mess they make and clean it out:thumbsup:

I figured out the problem.

It looks like pre-18 N/A 3.5's had this oil filler tube: https://www.amazon.com/Ford-Mustang-Explorer-Adaptor-Extension/dp/B015P1LSVI

I believe that the "lip" you see in the oil filler tube is what holds down that engine cover/insulator. On my 2018 XLT, the oil filler tube is integrally molded into the composite cam covers. The cam covers are the same black plastic material that Ford started using on 15-up SHO's (my 14 SHO had magnesium cam covers).

This probably explains why the insulator just "plops" down over the front of my engine. I guess I'll just keep it in the garage as a wall decoration.

I picked up one of those filler tubes. It seems like it just attaches to the cam cover. The lip around the filler tube is just big enough to hold down that cover.

Does the cover simply slip over that lip of the filler tube?

Update: The oil filler extension for the pre-18s fits into the cam cover on the 18. That extension holds down the front of the engine cover.

Hello,
I am new to this forum. I recently leased (May) a 2018 Ford Explorer XLT with the 3.5 liter engine. I noticed that Ford did not put an engine cover. My question is as follows. Can I purchase a 2017 engine cover? Will it fit? If it does will it harm the engine in any way. I’d like to get one only because the appearance looks nicer. Please let me know.

Thank you.

You can buy one. I did because a mouse eat through it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you have a 2018 Explorer?

Back