• Register Today It's free!

2018 3.5 xlt AWD

realscot2

Reaction score
City, State
Arlington Hts ill
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 xlt 4x4
Wondering if when in "intelligent 4WD" it automatically disconnects and defaults to FWD if you drive over 45 mph. I don't like to assume anything but the term "intelligent" might lead you to believe it will.

I do lots of interstate driving and was never sure about whether or not I can put it into "snow" mode and set the cruise at 55 or 60 mph. The vehicle is definitely heavy enough and the goodyear weather ready 245/55R20's hook up nicely .

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You could put the little intelligent 4wd display on your IPC and see what it's giving to the rear when on the highway. I would think it drops the rears until you get on the gas...that is what I have noticed.

Yes, you can put it in snow mode and cruise on the freeway, no issues with that.

I bet someone will say(I'm not saying it), "you shouldn't be using cruise control if the roads are snow covered and you need/use snow mode."

Not sure if it's only FWD above a certain speed, but if you are very light on the throttle, I bet very little power is transferred to the rear in any of the modes.

Yes, you can put it in snow mode and cruise on the freeway, no issues with that.

I bet someone will say(I'm not saying it), "you shouldn't be using cruise control if the roads are snow covered and you need/use snow mode."

Not sure if it's only FWD above a certain speed, but if you are very light on the throttle, I bet very little power is transferred to the rear in any of the modes.
Its not awd but 4wd. 4wd is when needed

I was wondering about that too and if there was a way to keep the 4wd on for the snow covered highways. My 07 had the advance trac system so in normal mode it would be rwd until needed, but I could still put in 4hi or 4lo which would keep 4wd on.

I was wondering about that too and if there was a way to keep the 4wd on for the snow covered highways. My 07 had the advance trac system so in normal mode it would be rwd until needed, but I could still put in 4hi or 4lo which would keep 4wd on.
These systems detect slipping within milliseconds. I have fwd only so sorry not familiar with the modes.

Wondering if when in "intelligent 4WD" it automatically disconnects and defaults to FWD if you drive over 45 mph. I don't like to assume anything but the term "intelligent" might lead you to believe it will.

I do lots of interstate driving and was never sure about whether or not I can put it into "snow" mode and set the cruise at 55 or 60 mph. The vehicle is definitely heavy enough and the goodyear weather ready 245/55R20's hook up nicely .

So Friends I know at Ford who do calibration got back to me on this.

No danger except for being on cruise in those conditions things go south fast with no time to recover. If you lose it over 40 mph your basically just along for the ride.

Sand/snow mode just changes the shift map to keep the wheels spinning and limits how fast the engine actually adds torque so that you don't dig yourself in. It also sends more power to the rear wheels than the fronts initially.

The PCM prioritizes not damaging components and will default back to normal mode.

Its not awd but 4wd. 4wd is when needed
It's actually a FWD biased vehicle with an AWD system as has been discussed here several times. I have also seen it mentioned (AWD) in a recent Ford article.

Peter

Back