2018 Exp. Front Hub/Axle Tinking/Ticking | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2018 Exp. Front Hub/Axle Tinking/Ticking

BettyFord58

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018, Explorer Sport
Thanks in advance for your help!

2018 Explorer Sport w/12k making multiple (2-3) sharp metal "tinking" sounds from both front hub/axle shafts when turning either direction, slowing and reversing, not to be confused with clicking or clunking but a sharp tick/tink. I've read earlier 11-15's having the issue where a thrust washer is installed as part of the TSB. I haven't seen much regarding later models (17+) with the issue. One post stated 17+ can't be fixed with a thrust washer and the axle shaft needs replacement.

I checked both front axle nuts at the hubs, both were finger tight! I found torque specs of 258lbs and tightened them up but the sound is still there. The rears were good & tight.

I'm hoping you all might have some advise or previous experience. I'm worried the axles were not set properly from the factory with the loose axle nuts and could have caused excessive wear on the hub/axle/spines. With your help, I'm trying to get supporting dialog if service comes back and says it's normal or a possible garage fix I can tackle.

I appreciate your help, FYI next time your rotating your tires double check your axle nuts.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So I was involved in a low speed collision that made my Explorer hit a car shoved into my lane recently. Main damage was the K member cracking from the rear mounting point of the control arm. I've gotten everything fixed except a leaking axle and I have this tick just like you have. The noise wasn't there prior to the accident and the only thing I can think of is either it's the axle or the EPAS.

My appointment with Ford is on 29Oct to address the axle and the tech believes that's the cause of this noise too. I'm hoping it resolves it so I can report back with my findings. Oh yeah, it's $780 to get a Motorcraft axle bought and installed from Ford. I could have done thing for around $125~ but insurance is paying on this one.

Hey Xartic, thanks for your reply. Was the dealer ever able to figure out the clicking? I'm going to schedule a dealer visit and was hoping to provide them with as much info as I could.

Can you feel this tick in your steering wheel when turning? I had a similar issue that required replacement of the EPAS gear (steering rack)

Hey Xartic, thanks for your reply. Was the dealer ever able to figure out the clicking? I'm going to schedule a dealer visit and was hoping to provide them with as much info as I could.
I'm going to tighten down my control arm to knuckle bolts and see if that's the issue. If not I already have a set of strut mounts i'm going to replace to see if that helps out with the noise.

Back