• Register Today It's free!

2018 Explorer Block Heater

Ward8

Reaction score
City, State
New Brunswick
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer Limited
After having "professionally" rerouted my heater cord for external access, my question is; will the block heater still operate plugged in but now with hood closed? I would think so unless that logic is built into the hood closed/open sensor...?? Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I never saw that didn't work with the hood closed! All the trucks that have them are designed to operate that way. I would lol if the hood needed to be open to operate.

I don’t think it matters open or closed. I live in the arctic. Have block, oil pan, and a battery heater, also a trickle charger plugged into a short extension cord under the hood. With the extension running out the grill. Just below the hood. Hood switch I believe is just so you don’t start vehicle with hood open.

I never saw that didn't work with the hood closed! All the trucks that have them are designed to operate that way. I would lol if the hood needed to be open to operate.
I don’t think it matters open or closed. I live in the arctic. Have block, oil pan, and a battery heater, also a trickle charger plugged into a short extension cord under the hood. With the extension running out the grill. Just below the hood. Hood switch I believe is just so you don’t start vehicle with hood open.
OK, thanks 👍

After having "professionally" rerouted my heater cord for external access, my question is; will the block heater still operate plugged in but now with hood closed? I would think so unless that logic is built into the hood closed/open sensor...?? Thanks.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
As mentioned, block heaters will work with the hood open or closed. They are an independent item and not configured into the vehicle's system.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
As mentioned, block heaters will work with the hood open or closed. They are an independent item and not configured into the vehicle's system.

Peter
Makes sense, thanks 👍

Can you post a picture and/or description of how you rerouted the cord? I'm still struggling to find an "elegant" way to do this. Thanks.

Back