2018 Explorer, Facts, Rumours & Speculation | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2018 Explorer, Facts, Rumours & Speculation

peterk9

Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Russell, Ontario (Ottawa area)
Year, Model & Trim Level
2023 Aviator Reserve 201A
Callsign
VE3
Thought I'd start this thread to hopefully centralize any news/posts about the possible 2018 redesigned model.

I read an article that mentioned that the 2018 will be a RWD model with AWD available. The switch to RWD apparently is to please the 'police community'.
So far this is just a rumour.

Peter

Not sure where that info is coming from but that's not even close to being true.

The Police community is, and always has been pushing for AWD.

Ford was the first, then when Dodge and GM saw the take rates they quickly came out with AWD versions of their Pursuit Rated vehicles.

Now all three OEM's sell an AWD pursuit rated vehicle.

The vehicle with the lowest take rate in Law Enforcement is the RWD Chevrolet Caprice.

The current info on the 2018 and 2017 Explorer is completely flawed. Check out this inaccurate article showing a 2016 Ford Everest and calling it an Explorer then showing 2014 pictures and talking about MyFord Touch coming in 2018.

http://newcarsreleasedates.com/2017-ford-explorer/

I've also read many articles on 2017 and 2018 Explorers where it seems they have taken the write up on a 2016 or 2015 and just duplicated it. The article that I took that from also showed that same picture of the Everest which had me highly dubious about anything it said.
I figured you'd be the first to jump in here. ;)

Peter

So, this thread could also be a vehicle to confuse the issue. There where some differences in the models being shown in that first video in the link but, mostly pictures of, I assume, the '15 model and the '16 model, along with a picture of what could be a '17 model then, going back to the '15 model in the end pick. No verbal explanation, just music. This article seems to be just something to fill a need to speculate with maybe half truths. I don't see anything really new in their 'observations'. Maybe I'm missing something? :salute:

Back