2018 Explorer Platinum Issues - UGH! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2018 Explorer Platinum Issues - UGH!

mc voss

Reaction score
City, State
SYRACUSE NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 EXPLORER PLATINUM
So I've had this for 10 days..not even 500 miles on it....I was driving Saturday am and all of a sudden chimes started dinging and I looked at the dash and it said "Transmission not in Park Vehicle Powering Off" (!!!!) I turned on my flashers, got to the side of the road w/o incident thank GOD and the car restarted fine..no issues after that all day. I don't understand the sensors...I think I need to have them checked out b/c they seem to be going off for no reason...that morning for every traffiv light the left front one kept going off but would shut off after I accelerated...

I'm going to be calling the dealershgip in a few minutes...I'm really freaking out..not only do I not feel safe anymore this water issue is pi**ing me off...I do not want to be stuck dealing with issues for the next 5 years...

Anyone else have issues like mine or suggestions?

Sorry for the book..LOL this is my first post ;) AND my first Ford..Never owned one and now I hope I don't regret it...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
This is the first post mentioning the Transmission Not IN park issue while driving. There have been several reports of a similar warning after parking the vehicle and in almost all cases it was resolved by replacing the shifter.
As for the sensor issue, I had a similar experience last night after driving on the highway in freezing rain. Everything was fine until I began to pull into a parking lot and then the front right sensor was causing an alarm and brought up the 'surround' picture of the vehicle. The sensors were all covered in ice. A couple hours later as I was pulling out, the same sensor was again causing an alarm. After I accelerated, it would go off. I haven't driven it yet today but after being parked in the garage I would expect everything to be back to normal. Were you driving in similar conditions?
NOTE: Your water leak issue was moved to the Water Leak thread; Water Leak

Peter

I know mine yesterday did the "trans not in park" after leaving a parking lot and hitting the next traffic light... I then realized my drivers door wasn't completely closed/latched and no other issues before/since.

I know mine yesterday did the "trans not in park" after leaving a parking lot and hitting the next traffic light... I then realized my drivers door wasn't completely closed/latched and no other issues before/since.
I have read that^..thank you..I never got a warning that my door wasn't latched tho, and it started up again just fine after and I didn't touch the door either...

I just came from the dealership...I called and didn't get a very good response until I told the guy I was on my way and get a loaner ready...I stopped and got my husband for back up..(lol!)..When we got there I walked in and by the grace of God the owner was there and I just started bawling..I was just so stressed out my tears came from nowhere.. and I was bawling that I was afraid of the car and to get me another one...They were all so very very nice--no dings on the dealership for sure...The owner brought it back to service himself and ran diagnostics...the only error that came up was my seat lost connection (?!) at some point...the water issue he said were the sun roof drains..apparently there is an issue with them freezing, and it is a design flaw, and there are new ones to go in..why they didn't put those in when they built the car I have no idea..but I'm not convinced it's that but who knows..the car is there and I have a vehicle to drive..but still...why did my car just shut off??!! Ugh...

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
This is the first post mentioning the Transmission Not IN park issue while driving. There have been several reports of a similar warning after parking the vehicle and in almost all cases it was resolved by replacing the shifter.
As for the sensor issue, I had a similar experience last night after driving on the highway in freezing rain. Everything was fine until I began to pull into a parking lot and then the front right sensor was causing an alarm and brought up the 'surround' picture of the vehicle. The sensors were all covered in ice. A couple hours later as I was pulling out, the same sensor was again causing an alarm. After I accelerated, it would go off. I haven't driven it yet today but after being parked in the garage I would expect everything to be back to normal. Were you driving in similar conditions?
NOTE: Your water leak issue was moved to the Water Leak thread; Water Leak

Peter
OK I'll check the water leak thread..thank you....and yes it was snowy and slushy and cold...the norm here...and thanx for responding...I had a GMC Acadia Denali before this..good electronics but no sensors like this one..jeez when you get those alerts when you are not used to it it's like WTH!!! The first time I went throught the carwash I was like OMG..what is happening..but it's the sensors..and I am beginning to realize they can be a nuisance...

1000 miles on my 18 Platinum. So far no issues, but it’s been a bit of a garage princess. Going on a 1500 mile road trip soon. I hope all goes well.

1000 miles on my 18 Platinum. So far no issues, but it’s been a bit of a garage princess. Going on a 1500 mile road trip soon. I hope all goes well.
Oh NICE good luck!!! That will be a nice run...lmk how it goes...have fun and hope all goes well..lol garage princess ;)

<making notes for after his truck is delivered in a few weeks>

Welcome to the Forum Rick.:wave:
If yours is a "garage princess" mine must be the 'queen'. 16 months 3500 miles.:)

Peter

Our Explorer was great on our trip! Spent way too many hours driving in rain in the dark. Wasn’t always happy with the rain sensing wipers. Found the shut off for that so I can disable if needed in the future.

I installed the OEM running boards which are great for my wife and I as we are vertically challenged. I was also hoping the lower step would help my sister get in but in actuality, they made it much harder. My sister has ALS and I didn’t realize how little arm and hand strength and range of motion she has left. She was unable to step onto the running boards and they also kept her from backing up closely enough to be able to fall back onto the seat.

She fell while we were visiting and slammed her head on a tile floor. Ambulance took her to the hospital, took 2 nurses to get her into our Explorer. The back bucket seat worked best as one of the nurses sat on the other seat and put her legs between them and was able to pull her in.

One of the nurses commented that she loved the blue color of the Explorer.

Eventually I will get the console but not in the near future.

We have been blessed with our 2016 Platinum. 65K trouble free (s)miles so far! I've only needed to replace oil and tires so far. (Not even brake pads) I did take it in while under warranty to reattach the front seat cover clips, but that was just a minor issue.

Welcome to the Forum Rick.:wave:
If yours is a "garage princess" mine must be the 'queen'. 16 months 3500 miles.:)

Peter

Peter, I'd definitely like to buy yours when you are ready to trade. To bad you are in Canadia...I'd like a low mileage used Explorer.

Hi all sorry I haven't updated but better late than never...they couldn't find anything in the computer as to why my car shut off..nothing...it hasn't happened since so hopefully it will never happen again...they fixed the water prob..I will update in that thread...

Back