2018 Explorer Puddle lights

DrWright

Reaction score
City, State
Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer XLT 3.5L

DrWrightNew Member
I recently purchased a 2018 Explorer XLT and want to change my puddle lights to LEDs but am having a hard time pulling out the puddle light.

I've watched many videos on the removal and it seems like the light comes out easily when the clip is released but on mine when I try to drop out the puddle light it dosnt want to come out. Any tips would be helpful and did they make changes to the puddle light for 2018 cause I wasnt able to see a 2018 removal video.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You will love the LED puddle lights... they are so much better than the stock ones! I don't remember having any difficulty with it either, just make sure the tab is fully pressed in. There's a barb-ish thing on the tab itself, so it needs to be fully depressed.

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Did you watch the video at the bottom of this page? daytimebrightlites LED puddle lights

Peter
I did watch that video which the one side of the light drops down but the top of the puddle light binds on the mirror housing and wont come out. I tried pulling on it but am afraid of breaking the bottom of my mirror plastic cause the light is binding on it. I figured maybe it was just the one side and it does the same thing on both mirrors. It has me very confused because in many of the videos I've seen it comes out pretty easily once that clip is released.

I did watch that video which the one side of the light drops down but the top of the puddle light binds on the mirror housing and wont come out. I tried pulling on it but am afraid of breaking the bottom of my mirror plastic cause the light is binding on it. I figured maybe it was just the one side and it does the same thing on both mirrors. It has me very confused because in many of the videos I've seen it comes out pretty easily once that clip is released.
Same result on both mirrors? I'm not aware of any changes made to them but then no one that I'm aware of has changed them on a 2018. There is a member who was looking to do it and I sent him a PM to see if in fact he did.

Peter

Same result on both mirrors? I'm not aware of any changes made to them but then no one that I'm aware of has changed them on a 2018. There is a member who was looking to do it and I sent him a PM to see if in fact he did.

Peter
Thanks for checking. It's weird cause the design is identical and it looks like it was designed to come out it just dosnt at least not on my 2018 Xlt.

I had a hard time getting them out, but with a bit of patience it all worked out.

Brian

Any tips?

I used a small electricians screwdriver.

1) Pry the clip in and pull down with the screwdriver at the same time.
Clip Side.jpg

2) Move to the other side, and pry towards the clip and down.

Non Clip Side.jpg

3) Finished LED Puddle Light

New Light.jpg

Hope this helps Brian

I used a small electricians screwdriver.

1) Pry the clip in and pull down with the screwdriver at the same time.
View attachment 161929

2) Move to the other side, and pry towards the clip and down.

View attachment 161930

3) Finished LED Puddle Light

View attachment 161931

Hope this helps Brian
I pried at them and I'm surprised at how stingy they were to remove. It sounded like I snapped the plastic on my mirror when they came out but I got it. The new ones popped easily in with no trouble.

I pried at them and I'm surprised at how stingy they were to remove. It sounded like I snapped the plastic on my mirror when they came out but I got it. The new ones popped easily in with no trouble.

Glad you managed to get them done :thumbsup:

Brian

I just did this and I broke the clip... My puddle lights are hanging out on one side

I just did this and I broke the clip... My puddle lights are hanging out on one side
You didnt have replacements purchased? I had my led replacements in hand in case I broke the oem ones and couldnt get them back in.

You didnt have replacements purchased? I had my led replacements in hand in case I broke the oem ones and couldnt get them back in.
Nope. I was just fooling around... I might have to get the LED's now! Do you just pull the wire out?

It's said there is a reason for everything.:)
They should just pull out. Plasti Dip Wheels + Puddle LED Install

Peter
I saved myself from dropping 50 on those Puddle lights... Got them for 15 bucks on eBay 2x LED Side Mirror Puddle Lights for Ford F150 Raptor Edge Fusion Explorer White | eBay I installed them and they are fantastic. Super bright. Save yourself the money future buyers, 35 extra $$$ doesn't justify better customer service and a potentially marginally better product (to me at least).

I'm going to give these a try. I used them for my 16 Explorer. The description dopesn't say they'll fit into an 18 but I'll give them a shot.

I'm going to give these a try. I used them for my 16 Explorer. The description dopesn't say they'll fit into an 18 but I'll give them a shot.
They will fit 100%
I busted my stock ones trying to pull them out also.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They will fit 100%
I busted my stock ones trying to pull them out also.

They arrived today just in time for me to pick up the new 18 tomorrow. Should be an easy install.

Back