• Register Today It's free!

2018 Explorer Sport speakers.

Stephen Cannon

Reaction score
City, State
DFW METROPLEX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer Sport
I went to change out the speakers for some decent Pioneer speakers. Reading from previous posts it was a fairly safe bet the 6X8's would work and for the most part be a direct fit.

I was wrong, turns out the speakers are 6 1/2" For the record I have heard that 6 1/2 conical/round speakers generally sound better since the sound comes out as a cone wave instead of blocked at the corners like common oval speakers, 5X7, 6X8, and 6X9.

Well I am glad that Ford finally got the hint and went to 6 1/2" there is one stopping point. I removed the speaker basket from the door but I can't seem to get the speaker out of the basket. I looked for any catch points in the basket frame and couldn't find anything. I saw a few locking tabs but could not release the speaker cone from the basket. I still am planning on getting a 6 1/2 pair of speakers but need to know if 1. Can the speaker be removed from the basket? 2. If no on #1 does anyone sell the bracket as a stand alone piece and attach the new speaker to the new basket.

I even checked the official online Ford parts catalog and no luck with photos or for that matter no speakers listed period. I looked under Body, Doors, Electrical, Stereo, audio section and no luck.

I have not tried the front's yet and want to get the rears changed out first so I don't get another stopping point or need to get new speakers. I am hoping the front's are 6 1/2 too but have not pulled front door panels pending the completion of the rears.

Anyone.....? Bueller....Bueller.....Bueller? Anyone?

Thanks, the site offers the adapter plates but EXACTLY the opposite of what I need. There's are 6.5 Speakers into a 6X9 mounting hole. I would be trying to get 6X8 speakers into the 6.5 mounting bracket. Back to the drawing board as they say. Did some further research and apparently the one piece design is intentional. The basket has a hook on the bottom to help pull closer to door and eliminate air gaps. My guess is a piece of foam or rubber could do the same thing or maybe DYNOMAT. Pending further review I guess the OEM speakers stay in place.

Back