2018 Explorer Sport - Towing a Travel Trailer | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2018 Explorer Sport - Towing a Travel Trailer

Hello,
Been a long time Ford owner, but about to venture into towing for the first time. I just bought a 2018 Explorer Sport (w/ V6 Ecoboost) and will be buying a camping trailer within the next few weeks.

I understand the 500/5,000 max weights in the owner manual, and am curious if anyone on here tows near the 5,000lb max? The trailer I'm looking at is 4,200lbs dry, so factoring in supplies/gear/etc, I'll be right at that 5k max weight. I'd be using a WDH as well.

I'm much more interested in safety and control (vs. fuel performance). There are some smaller trailers I'm looking at, but really like the one at 4,200lbs dry, so hoping the Explorer can handle. I'm in Washington, so will be going over mountain passes.

Would really appreciate to hear from other owners that are towing camping trailers.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The one thing everyone forgets is that the towing limit weight includes people and gear. We tend to pack pretty heavy and if we travel with 3 adults and 2 children, the weight adds up very quickly. But, if you pack light, you should be able to tow one of these.
The towing guide shows 5000 lbs under the heading "Maximum Loaded Trailer Weight". I believe what you are referring to is called the GVWR.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you considered a Trailmanor? It does take another couple of minutes to set up, but sure beats a pop-up, and falls within your 5000 lbs towing limit. It gives you a 27 foot trailer that collapses into a 20 foot trailer at about 3000 lbs. We camped in ours in wineries, camp sites, in blazing heat, rain and have always been comfortable. We haven't tried freezing cold yet, but others have.

http://www.trailmanor.com/

The one thing everyone forgets is that the towing limit weight includes people and gear. We tend to pack pretty heavy and if we travel with 3 adults and 2 children, the weight adds up very quickly. But, if you pack light, you should be able to tow one of these.

Those are quite interesting, no dealers in northern Canada tho. I have been taking into account gear and all that, with the max that trailer should have is around 3900, which sticks us under the 5000 limit. My main concern is road manners with a full-size camper. We had a tent trailer before and I will not be looking at another, just didn't like setting it up to get in and grab something or to pack it up.

If you are going to be towing a lot, or very far, or in extremely hilly areas I’d step it up to the Expedition.

I bought my Platinum Explorer to tow something very similar, up mountains and at altitude. Everything I've read tells me the engine is capable, as similarly equipped full size pickups with Ecoboost engines can tow 2x what the Explorer can. I'd stick with the most powerful engine, I've read about people towing close to 4000 lbs with the NA V6 and being less than thrilled with power and range (range is definitely the worst thing about towing with the Explorer based on logistics IMO). Based on the wheelbase of the Explorer I'd say anything around 20ft and under should be fine, in general once you go 20+ feet you want something with longer wheelbase. Like you, I wanted to stay away from body on frame vehicles due to impracticality and price premium. I'm mostly new to all this, have you used WD hitches before and if so what do you like?

On the escape we had a reese friction wd hitch,(Reese 66153 | FREE SHIPPING CANADA |Reese SC Weight Distribution System w/ Sway Control similar to this) made a world of difference towing our large tent trailer(i think it was like 20ish feet, was a big one) I towed it once without the hitch and refused to until we got the hitch. Everyone stares at you cuz it is quite noisy when you turn around, but made a world of difference towing.

It is true that I had to go to Tacoma to get mine. Opening it to get something can be a bit of a pain, but they are easier to open up than a canvas popup. Undo latches, pull the shells open, then walk in. Another minute to set up the interior to use the washroom.

A full size trailer is definitely more convenient, but I didn't have room in my driveway for one, so this was my best compromise.

Peter, what you really want to find is GCWR (gross combined weight rating) and the GAWR (gross axle weight rating). For the 2019 4WD V6 Ecoboost, the GCWR is 10400 lbs. The curb weight of a 2019 Explorer is 4458 lbs, but I cannot find the GVWR for an Explorer. If you subtract the curb weight from the GCWR, you will get 5942. This will be the total extra weight that the Explorer can handle, but not necessarily tow. They say you can tow up to 5000 lbs, which leaves 942 lbs left for the Explorer. A full tank of gasoline is about 120 lbs, 5 170 lb adults can add 850 lbs which adds up to 970 lbs. This may not be a likely scenario for you, but it illustrates that you could stay within the 5000 lbs limit for the trailer, and still be overloaded depending on how much you put in the Explorer. Likewise, it is also easy to overload the axle.

So, I would pay more attention to the 10400 GCWR than the 5000 lb towing limit. Just remember to subtract the weight of the Explorer and all the people/gear.

I bought my Platinum Explorer to tow something very similar, up mountains and at altitude. Everything I've read tells me the engine is capable, as similarly equipped full size pickups with Ecoboost engines can tow 2x what the Explorer can. I'd stick with the most powerful engine, I've read about people towing close to 4000 lbs with the NA V6 and being less than thrilled with power and range (range is definitely the worst thing about towing with the Explorer based on logistics IMO). Based on the wheelbase of the Explorer I'd say anything around 20ft and under should be fine, in general once you go 20+ feet you want something with longer wheelbase. Like you, I wanted to stay away from body on frame vehicles due to impracticality and price premium. I'm mostly new to all this, have you used WD hitches before and if so what do you like?

Properly equipped, the NA V6 can tow the same as the TT.

The NA v6 can tow as much, as in safety stop, but will be way less enjoyable to tow with, especially in hilly terrain.

Back