• Register Today It's free!

2018 Explorer XLT Oil Leak

CommandPresence

Reaction score
City, State
Massachusetts
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer XLT 3.5L NA
When I went up underneath my '18 3.5L the other night to do an oil change, I noticed quite a leak. I just rolled 9k miles, and on my 3rd oil change. I have an appointment with the dealership next week. According to the service advisor it's the first they've heard of it. Has anyone else heard anything or had similar issues? This is above the oil pan and filter so it's not residual oil from an oil change Pictures attached. Any Ford techs on here seen this yet, or any TSB's on the issue?
20180922_195755.jpg
20180922_195755.jpg
20180922_201107.jpg
20180922_195527.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Can't say I'm surprised, but I haven't had any oil leaking issues on my EX yet.

You have a 2019 Already? That's fast. Congratulations. Production just started on the 13th. Please update profile. Thanks.

Peter

You have a 2019 Already? That's fast. Congratulations. Production just started on the 13th. Please update profile. Thanks.

Peter
Sorry Peter all set

I just had my oil leaked fixed and water pump replaced last week. The tech told me that the engine was taken out in order to do both repairs/replacement. Now it runs smoooooth!

Well, it goes in on the 11th for my appointment so we shall see.

Oil leak has been resolved, is was the crank seal that needed to be replaced (obviously warranty). Just rolled 10k miles when I got it to the dealership. No leaks now after a few hundred miles.
Part no: XW4Z 6700 AA was on repair order.

Oil leak has been resolved, is was the crank seal that needed to be replaced (obviously warranty). Just rolled 10k miles when I got it to the dealership. No leaks now after a few hundred miles.
Part no: XW4Z 6700 AA was on repair order.

Any update on your leak? My 2018 is in the shop now getting the main seal replaced. Just rolled 10k like yours

I have about 24k miles, have had several oil changes at the dealer, this last one I noticed oil burning on exhaust, I took it back they said it was just residue, but now it's leaking bad, I called them they gave me an appointment for the 10th of January, I have to call them again to tell them the leaking is getting worse.

Update, it turns out it was just the oil filter having a pin size hole, really weird why would be shooting up onto the exhaust manifold?

They replaced the main seal on mine too. I didn't even know it was leaking, service guy told me. I looked at my garage floor and sure enough there were a couple spots there. About 15k miles.

Hi. Has anyone had an update on this? I have a 2015 XLT with this issue. I took it to my mechanic when I noticed. He was a Ford Tech for decades, but split to open his own shop. He knew about this issue. BUT, while I was there he was calling around to get a new seal and plate (if he's pulling the transmission he'd rather replace both) and apparently this has become such an issue that Ford has redesigned the seal. You can still get the old style seal, but none of the parts guys recommend installing the old style seals because they will fail again. It's a design issue. The new part comes with a seal attached to the plate. They're made by Ford and they're back ordered! I'm looking at 6 weeks right now. Does anyone know if there's been an official (or secret) recall on this yet? I mean, if they're redesigning parts it seems like a serious enough issue to warrant action by the manufacturer.

Update: I just heard from my local service department who seemed to suggest that there may be a Technical Service Bulletin out with respect to this issue which may include extended coverage. Apparently, I need to bring it in so they can examine the vehicle. Has anyone had any luck getting this fixed out of warranty?

EDIT: I can't figure out how to change my profile. So, the data there is dated. Sorry ...
PM sent.

Peter

Back