2018 Ford Explorer Damaged Front Camera | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2018 Ford Explorer Damaged Front Camera

William M. Ruff

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Ford Explorer Plat.
My front camera was blurry and I took it to the dealer. He said the camera was damaged by a thrown road particle from the tire of another vehicle. The cost to replace and repair is $800. This seems to be excessive for what I see as a flawed design. Since the camera is mounted on the front grille, it seems only logical to expect some sort of potential road debris. The camera should have been housed in a protected shield or filter.

I am wondering if I can order the part myself and repair with it? Has this problem occurred to others?

I have asked the dealer to ask Ford for a discount on the camera but I am not hopeful.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I suggest you speak with your insurance agent about the damage to your Explorer's front camera. If insurance would pay to repair or replace your windshield after it was damaged by a rock thrown from a vehicle in front of you, I'd think your insurance would pay to repair the damage to your front camera. Wouldn't hurt to ask. Also, maybe get a statement documenting the damage from your Ford dealership to show to your insurance agent.

My front camera was blurry and I took it to the dealer. He said the camera was damaged by a thrown road particle from the tire of another vehicle. The cost to replace and repair is $800. This seems to be excessive for what I see as a flawed design. Since the camera is mounted on the front grille, it seems only logical to expect some sort of potential road debris. The camera should have been housed in a protected shield or filter.

I am wondering if I can order the part myself and repair with it? Has this problem occurred to others?

I have asked the dealer to ask Ford for a discount on the camera but I am not hopeful.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
As blwnsmoke mentioned, there have been no reports of a similar incident. While the camera looks like it is just plugged into a wiring harness, I'm guessing that the grille will likely have to be removed to access it (haven't actually checked mine). That would likely contribute to the bulk of the work. If it is like the rearview camera, it would also have to be programmed to your Explorer.

Peter

I suggest you speak with your insurance agent about the damage to your Explorer's front camera. If insurance would pay to repair or replace your windshield after it was damaged by a rock thrown from a vehicle in front of you, I'd think your insurance would pay to repair the damage to your front camera. Wouldn't hurt to ask. Also, maybe get a statement documenting the damage from your Ford dealership to show to your insurance agent.

I agree with your suggestion. I had a headlight that was damaged and I suspected it was from a rock from one of those dump trucks I was stuck behind. I told the insurance company about it and they covered it. As long as the OP has a small deductible, it should be worth looking into.

Thanks, I will contact them but I think that I have a high deductible ($1,000?)

Back