• Register Today It's free!

2018 Ford Explorer Lift Gate

JP22

Reaction score
City, State
Lake Jackson
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Ford Explorer Sport
*****EDIT***** contacted the Ford dealership, the below issue is a factory recall.

Today (June 1, 2020) I got an alert from my Ford app stating the “My Car's security system has detected lift gate opened and triggered the alarm at 01:41PM 01 Jun 2020 EST”
I walked out to my apartment parking lot to find the hazard lights flashing but no horn going off. I pressed the alarm button on my key fob to make them stop then tried to open the lift gate. The lift gate seems to be stuck closed.. body lines match up and I know it closed because I used it yesterday.
I have an “open door” alert on my dash and the lift gate cannot be opened from the button on the exterior of the vehicle, the button on the dashboard, or the 2x button on the key fob.

additionally, I got in and noticed the camera was still working but the “back up lines” were gone. I attributed that to it thinking the door was open.

has anyone ever experienced this? Or even heard of this happening?

Welcome to the Forum JP. :wave:
I believe you are the first to report this specific issue. One thing you could try is to disconnect the negative battery cable for a few minutes and then reconnect and see if that had any effect. Keep in mind that you will likely lose some saved memory settings doing this. It has helped cure a few problems but is not a guaranty.

Peter

Back