2018 Ford Explorer Sport - Awaiting Shipment Stage | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2018 Ford Explorer Sport - Awaiting Shipment Stage

Styxx

Reaction score
City, State
Long Island, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer Sport
First time post here.... So I purchased a 2018 Ex Sport 19 April 18 with the expectation that the vehicle was inbound to the dealer (salesman stated it was expected on 18 April 18 - which I now know was a bunch of Hooey). Build date on the vehicle was 05 March 18, and via COTUS has been in "Awaiting Shipment" status since I started tracking it on 19 April 18.

Dealer states they have no visibility of what is happening, nor any influence (this was a dealer order BTW). Hhhmmmm.... so looking from the outside in, how can that be? Can a vehicle sit in "Awaiting Shipment" status from lets say, mid March 18 (assumption on my part, I know) to now? I can see if there were engineering updates, etc., but it does not appear that there are. Overall I don't know Ford's logistics systems to make a value conclusion on it anyway. So my questions are how long does (can) a vehicle pause in Awaiting Shipment normally (COTUS message says a few days to a week), and shouldn't the dealer have more visibility than they're stating they have?

Appreciate input - comments any may have!

- Jerry

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As a follow up, I read some posts on the forums concerning statuses presented via COTUS, and dealership visibility, etc.. Seems like there are issues abound, as others have encountered similar problems as I have. Guess the lesson here is just because the data is presented does not indicate its valid......

Welcome to the Forum Jerry.:wave:
There can be various reasons why a vehicle is in the "Awaiting Shipment" state. At one time it was due to a lack of rail cars. It could also be that there are not enough vehicles yet to ship or to ship to a certain region. I don't think that a dealer can find out much more until the vehicle is actually in transit. That was the case when my dealer was able to provide me with constant updates.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum Jerry.:wave:
There can be various reasons why a vehicle is in the "Awaiting Shipment" state. At one time it was due to a lack of rail cars. It could also be that there are not enough vehicles yet to ship or to ship to a certain region. I don't think that a dealer can find out much more until the vehicle is actually in transit. That was the case when my dealer was able to provide me with constant updates.

Peter
Peter,

Good info, thnx! I'm leaning that way too....

Just thought the time passed from production to awaiting shipment seemed a bit excessive. Nevertheless it puts the dealer in a "limbo" situation and by extension the purchaser. And also, it raises the visibility of data validity as presented on COTUS. Read a lot of posts here, some say it was aged, not factually relevant. However others say it was ok. Seems also that the data from the "Order In Processing" through "In Production" phases seems to be more accurate than following phases. (I'm an IT guys so I tend to get a bit OCD'd with stuff like this :hammer:).

I guess in this situation a quote from the famous philosopher Popeye is in order; "It ams what it ams....."

- Jerry

A quick update. The dealer found another Sport and had it shipped to their location, should be picking it up Tuesday afternoon. Slight differences, wheel rims and air bag seat belts is all. Just as a goof, I checked COTUS this morning and guess what? Yup..... the original vehicle is now showing In Transit. Go figure.....

- Jerry

A quick update. The dealer found another Sport and had it shipped to their location, should be picking it up Tuesday afternoon. Slight differences, wheel rims and air bag seat belts is all. Just as a goof, I checked COTUS this morning and guess what? Yup..... the original vehicle is now showing In Transit. Go figure.....

- Jerry
Were there any special offers or incentives in place when you placed the order? If so, they may not apply to the 'found' Sport. Check with the dealer.

Peter

Good info...... and yes, they tried to do just that. Told them no deal. Then later they came back and said the same deal applies.

- Jerry

Jerry

Have you picked up your Sport yet? if so pictures please.

Brian

Jerry

Have you picked up your Sport yet? if so pictures please.

Brian

Brian,

I have, picked it up on Tuesday. Will do when the weather clears here. We've had rain every day since Monday!

- Jerry

Back