2018 Explorer XLT 3.5L. Engine Whine/Whistle Noise | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I think this thread has the same noise - it is the whine that almost sounds like a bad water pump or a/c unit under load.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Has anyone taken off the belt and see if it still makes the noise?

I am also having the same issue. Has anyone taken off the belt and see if the noise stops?

Here is my video I took..

I am also having the same issue. Has anyone taken off the belt and see if the noise stops?

Here is my video I took..

Yep, mine does the same thing.

I was on a trip this past weekend and we did some walking and there was an Explorer that was parked idling and it was making the same noise, i am beginning to think that most of these Explorers do this.

Yep, mine does the same thing.

I was on a trip this past weekend and we did some walking and there was an Explorer that was parked idling and it was making the same noise, i am beginning to think that most of these Explorers do this.

It's funny you say that, I was watching a Live PD video on youtube, and the police explorer vehicle was making the same noise.

It appears this also affects the Ford flex as well. Found this on YouTube.

I'm going to take you back to a different generation Explorer, with a different motor and transmission. 2008, doing exactly what you are describing. Turns out it was a transmission issue. And the bad part is, it took a new transmission to fix it. They tried valve body and some other things, and finally Ford relented and had them replaces the trans. Ford knows about this and they are putting off, because it's an expensive fix. Check for TSBs on the transmission, or other issues related to the transmission.

I'm going to take you back to a different generation Explorer, with a different motor and transmission. 2008, doing exactly what you are describing. Turns out it was a transmission issue. And the bad part is, it took a new transmission to fix it. They tried valve body and some other things, and finally Ford relented and had them replaces the trans. Ford knows about this and they are putting off, because it's an expensive fix. Check for TSBs on the transmission, or other issues related to the transmission.

Thank you so much, I did look at the TSBs and was not able to find anything related. I will keep looking, I may have missed something. I did for a moment think it was something in the transmission. Do any of the parts move in the transmission when in park?

So I wanted to let you anyone who is following, I have a service appointment tomorrow morning for this, I am going to see what they say. I will report back.

I believe the cyclical clicking sound evident on your video is simply the fuel injectors firing... mine does the same, as did my two previous Ford vehicles... but I do hear some kind of slight squeaking towards the end of the video. What it sounds like to me is an idler pulley with a bearing drying out (which I've had to deal with before).... but obviously it can be a hard thing to diagnose sometimes.

I ended up taking my 2018 back to the dealer that recently did a service and could find no issue when pressed on this. This was somewhat unrelated as they left some "foreign objects" such as rag and a ratchet in the engine bay along with the PVC front hose disconnected so I wanted the service manager to see this. We listened using his scope to different areas in the engine bay, and it is coming from the transmission at idle and picks up after 30+ seconds in park. His only answer was to quote, "its a good thing you have the ESP" and said there is nothing wrong they can fix unless Ford decides there is. So, looks like it is the transmission, it is noticeably louder than when I purchased new, and we shall see long term if the TSB comes out or someone else has the time to take it apart. On another note, nearly every idling Explorer I walk by seems to have this noise now.

This makes sense to me. When I was under listening it sounded louder from the bottom on the driver side, which is where the transmission. I wonder what inside the transmission could cause this. Would there be anything like a conditioner or lubricant that could be added to the transmission fluid to quiet this down a bit?

From the Owner's Manual;
Warning
Do not use supplemental transmission
fluid additives, treatments or cleaning
agents. The use of these materials may
affect transmission operation and result
in damage to internal transmission
components.

Peter

I have noticed mine doing this, I describe it as a faint windmill squeak and does it only when at temp and most recognizable when in drive thru’s. I did notice the other day that the squeak is louder when in gear rather than in park, at least for me anyway. Dealer told me it was normal but I don’t believe them

Mine is at the dealer now. They kept it over the weekend. We shall see what they say tomorrow hopefully. I do miss squeaky the Explorer. 😂

Well.. Today I decided to take it back, since they still have not gotten the chance to even look at it yet. Funny thing is .. The Explorer next to me, looks to be a 2019 Sport, was making the same noise at idle.

Has anyone completely changed the fluid in the transmission? Perhaps something will change. I still have 1 year warranty, I would not want to repair the automatic transmission after its completion.
You guys have super clean roads in the country. In Russia, the underbody of a car looks like this only at a car dealership)))

I have to wonder if its a valve from the transmission, but I have little knowledge of any of that. The noise increases with the temperature of the engine, so idling it heats up until the fans kick in or you start moving and you get the air hitting the transmission. Almost like there is pressure from the heat. Again, I digress unless anyone knows more about that.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back