• Register Today It's free!

2018 Explorer horn issue

jc_slick

Reaction score
City, State
New York City, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 Ford Explorer XLT
Hello everyone, i got into my explorer this morning for the first time in a few days and noticed the horn sounded different. It sounds weaker and more high pitched. Anyone know what it is and how to fix it? It rained a lot yesterday. I drove it for a while to see if it would go away in case it was wet. I was looking to see where it is located but its hard to see if anything is unplugged. Doesnt look like anyone broke into the front of my car or anything.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello everyone, i got into my explorer this morning for the first time in a few days and noticed the horn sounded different. It sounds weaker and more high pitched. Anyone know what it is and how to fix it? It rained a lot yesterday. I drove it for a while to see if it would go away in case it was wet. I was looking to see where it is located but its hard to see if anything is unplugged. Doesnt look like anyone broke into the front of my car or anything.
The horn is in the area of the hood latch by the grille. Have someone else blow it while you are standing there. Mine hasn't had any issues with water and I did lots of water and snow on stock single tone 19 horn and dual 18 and under years horns.

Here is a picture of the 2017 location right by the hood latch. Not much to see in a wiring sense. It could be one of your horns stopped working or became disconnected.

Peter

DSCN0013.JPG

Here is a picture of the 2017 location right by the hood latch. Not much to see in a wiring sense. It could be one of your horns stopped working or became disconnected.

Peter

Which one is which? How can i tell if it got disconnected?

I really have no idea. I guess the only way to find out is to have someone sound the horn while you stand in front. Perhaps you can tell by feeling for vibrations of each one
:dunno:
Peter

Hello all, regarding the 2018 horn issue. I just purchased a 2018 explorer XLT and sure enough it has a weak ass horn. I had my wife beep the horn when I was standing over the horn assembly. Now mind you I traded in a 2017 Ford Edge for this explorer and the Edge had a way better sounding horn. So after my wife pressed the horn button I finally found out that both horns were working ( putting my hands on the horns themselves ). So I just went to the ford dealer and purchased a horn assy. for a 2017 Ford Edge. It only took me about 10 minutes to install the horn assy. Well I can tell you that it made a world of difference. Now when I have to blow the horn I won't be getting looked at and laughed at because of the wimpy horn. I hope this helps someone.

Okay, I purchased my 2018 Ford Explorer xlt in March 2020. Everything was fine…until it rained that spring. The my horn sounded under water… so I took it back to the dealership because it was still within my 30 days to report something wrong. Well, they told me it was full of water… from the rain… no explanation why. They said it wasn’t covered under the part of the 30 day wtf? comppaint time period sooooo they emptied the water dried it out and reinstalled. it was great, worked yay! Right? No wrong. Next rain lasted for two weeks here I. Fl and that horn never sounded again. We purchased a new horn from Ford for 65.00…. And would you know…. it was GREAT. TILL IT FREAKING RAINED. Ford needs to fix this crap. There is no seal or water issue that I can see all the parts are in correctly….everything is in tact underneath the car and in the hood of the car… am I missing something? Is there something I don’t know abou…or should they be recalling this horn assembly? I want to take it to Ford but if it fills with water again I don’t want to be out a few hundred bucks for labor and parts! Are they going to honor their work and fix it till they figure this crap out?I DONT HAVE A HORN. ITS DANGEROUS DOESNT MATTER IF I REPAIR IT BECAUSE ITS FLORIDA IT RAINS ALL THE DAMN TIME…. SOOOO WHAT THEN? 65.00 a week till I can get rid of this car?

^^Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
This is the first confirmed post about water in the horn that I am aware of so obviously it isn't a widespread issue. We have many members from Florida and no other reports about this issue. As for "honor their work and fix it till they figure this crap out?", there really isn't anything to "figure" out that I can see. It would be a different matter if there were a multitude of similar complaints.

Peter

Do you have any update on this? Was it water related? Thanks.

Peter

This is the first confirmed post about water in the horn that I am aware of so obviously it isn't a widespread issue. We have many members from Florida and no other reports about this issue. As for "honor their work and fix it till they figure this crap out?", there really isn't anything to "figure" out that I can see. It would be a different matter if there were a multitude of similar complaints.

Peter

Peter
haha! Hey there, I guess you can tell I am frustrated with Ford and the amount of money I’ve spent on what would seem to be a simple fix in less than 2 years of having this car. It’s hard to believe I owe 18,000 on a car that can seemingly have no horn, ever. Lol. But you see I have had the issue since just 2 weeks after purchase So it’s frustrating.

I have searched the internet and found others complaining about weak horn issues after rain but no explanation or follow ups as to what finally came from it. It would seem that you are correct… it isn’t a WIDESPREAD issue but it is for sure an issue that should not just be overlooked. I would love to know if there is any clue as to why the horn is filling with water even though there’s no visible leak in that area. I’d love to know where an actual complaint of this irreparable issue could be given. I cannot imagine that as consumers, we who have the issue, should just be content with buying a new horn every 2 weeks for 65.00 or driving without one. But really any feedback is welcome and I’d love to see if anyone else has found that water in their horn is actually an issue for them as well. The original thread mentioned it happened to them after a rainfall. Which is what caught my eye.

One member (post #6) in this thread bought the 2017 horns and seemed to be happy with them. I had a 2017 Platinum without any 'horn' issues. I can, however, understand your frustration.

Peter

One member (post #6) in this thread bought the 2017 horns and seemed to be happy with them. I had a 2017 Platinum without any 'horn' issues. I can, however, understand your frustration.

Peter
Yeah seems like most people are super happy with their suv and find out what any horn issues not involving water are… I love the Explorer but the horn is an ongoing issue. The mechanic at the dealership I purchased it from said he’d seen the issue before which is why he knew it was water causing it but said it wasn’t part of what was covered under my warranty. So its definitely not easy finding answers.we’ll see maybe it’ll catch the attention of someone who has or had the issue…

Have the same problem only now the horn is not working at all, fuse is good as is the relay guessing its the clock spring?

Anyone replaced their horn assy on the 2018 Explorer! I know Ford moved the assy to the hood latch area. Looks like to get at the bracket fastener the grille/bumper needs to be removed. Is that correct? Seems like a lot of work. Easier to remove each horn unit out the top but would like to maintain the assy if possible. Thanks.

Anyone replaced their horn assy on the 2018 Explorer! I know Ford moved the assy to the hood latch area. Looks like to get at the bracket fastener the grille/bumper needs to be removed. Is that correct? Seems like a lot of work. Easier to remove each horn unit out the top but would like to maintain the assy if possible. Thanks.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Looking at post #6, it would seem that it is a fairly easy job. I would suggest sending that member a private message to ask what was required to be done. Click on his user name in the margin and select "Start conversation".

Peter

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Looking at post #6, it would seem that it is a fairly easy job. I would suggest sending that member a private message to ask what was required to be done. Click on his user name in the margin and select "Start conversation".

Peter
Read through that thread but missed the comment about it being an easier install. Will do. Thanks for outlining the procedure.

You def don't need to pull the front end. You can get enough room by just undoing the top bolts and gently pulling it away from the car to get them out. That's what I did.

You def don't need to pull the front end. You can get enough room by just undoing the top bolts and gently pulling it away from the car to get them out. That's what I did.
Thanks. Saw that in a youtube video. Horns come as a unit attached to a bracket. Curious on how to get at the bracket. I agree it's easier to just detach each horn unit separately.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello all, regarding the 2018 horn issue. I just purchased a 2018 explorer XLT and sure enough it has a weak ass horn. I had my wife beep the horn when I was standing over the horn assembly. Now mind you I traded in a 2017 Ford Edge for this explorer and the Edge had a way better sounding horn. So after my wife pressed the horn button I finally found out that both horns were working ( putting my hands on the horns themselves ). So I just went to the ford dealer and purchased a horn assy. for a 2017 Ford Edge. It only took me about 10 minutes to install the horn assy. Well I can tell you that it made a world of difference. Now when I have to blow the horn I won't be getting looked at and laughed at because of the wimpy horn. I hope this helps someone.
Ha Ha, I went el Cheap-o Harbor Freight Dual Horns, $9.95

Back