• Register Today It's free!

2018 Ltd tailgate comes down

LJP326

Reaction score
City, State
New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer Limited
My 2018 Limited Explorer is really nice and I like it upgraded from 2005 Pacifica,..which I loved & never ounce of issues....the tailgate comes down on its own after a period of time and if there is noise you can't hear the chiming, I was standing under it and it started to come down while emptying groceries. Anyone have this issue? Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave: If you have the hands free opening liftgate (foot activated) you are probably unintentionally signalling it to close. That can happen if you stand close to the bumper. This seems to be a common issue. The liftgate itself should remain open until you command it to close. There is no "timing" feature.

Peter

My 2018 Limited Explorer is really nice and I like it upgraded from 2005 Pacifica,..which I loved & never ounce of issues....the tailgate comes down on its own after a period of time and if there is noise you can't hear the chiming, I was standing under it and it started to come down while emptying groceries. Anyone have this issue? Thanks
HI, Peter. Thank you for the reply. Yes I'm aware of the auto tail lift on the left side of center and stand to the right because I'm aware. Of course I was standing close to the bumper putting the bags in and it was open for a few minutes. I'll just be even more aware....not a good feature. good thing I was able to stop it with my hand. Thanks again,

I have not had that happen on my 18. I will take a look at some settings in the IPC.

HI, Peter. Thank you for the reply. Yes I'm aware of the auto tail lift on the left side of center and stand to the right because I'm aware. Of course I was standing close to the bumper putting the bags in and it was open for a few minutes. I'll just be even more aware....not a good feature. good thing I was able to stop it with my hand. Thanks again,
I believe the sensitivity of the sensors can be adjusted but you will need FORScan or a dealer visit. If you have the tow package then the detection area is on the left-hand side and right-hand side of the hitch, between the exhaust and the hitch. Page 73 of the Manual.

Peter

I believe the sensitivity of the sensors can be adjusted but you will need FORScan or a dealer visit. If you have the tow package then the detection area is on the left-hand side and right-hand side of the hitch, between the exhaust and the hitch. Page 73 of the Manual.

Peter
Thanks again, I don't have the Tow package but I'll look at your suggestion anyway, Be safe.

For vehicles without the tow package, the detection area is in the center of the rear bumper. (Page 72)

Peter

IPC only has the setting to enable/disable the button on the hatch.

Still having issues?

Belated thank you's for the tail lift replies. I'm really aware now I'm extra careful. Will go back to page 72 and re read. However, the oil percentage, how does that work? Car seems to work great. Due for 2nd "blend" oil change at 12,019 miles...now at 11180 so another 839 or so to go. but I don't understand how that % works. is it that I have 30% good oil left and used 70%? The oil is a little dirty, as expected, but maybe someone can explain in "lay" terms what the dash means. Thanks guys.

The Oil Life Monitor is explained on page 494 of the Owner's Manual.

Peter
Got it THANK YOU. you da best!!!

Back