2018 PIU 3.5 eco boost Engine noise | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2018 PIU 3.5 eco boost Engine noise

Fpiu18

Reaction score
City, State
NY, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 FPIU
What's this noise? There is an upper end engine noise that can be heard at idle please see video. There are no engine codes and correlation with this upper engine noise. I did note, the engine oil level is low and dirty. This is a car I am considering purchasing. It has 100K miles.

Attachments

• enginenoise1.m4v
    4.9 MB
  • enginenoise.m4v
    3.8 MB

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

All I can hear are the injectors firing (normal).

On my 2016 Sport I can hear that I need a new timing chain and guides (think of the sound of you pulling a chain along the edge of a table). I tried to record the sound on my phone but could only hear the injectors. If this what you are hearing and you decide to have the chain and guides replaced, get the water pump replaced (as preventative maintenance) while it is apart. My dealer quoted $2200 total.

What's this noise? There is an upper end engine noise that can be heard at idle please see video. There are no engine codes and correlation with this upper engine noise. I did note, the engine oil level is low and dirty. This is a car I am considering purchasing. It has 100K miles.
This a normal sound engine for vehicles with GDI (Direct Injection)

The high pressure fuel pump is mounted on top of the front head. It is pretty loud and Ford even puts a foam isolator around it to make it less noisy. Low dirty oil is a red flag. Could be an auction car (nobody probably touched it). Turbo cars with neglected oil just asking for trouble

Trying to sell it, they can't be bothered to check, replace or even top off the oil? I wouldn't touch it without a mechanic familiar with the 3.5EB looking it over. It shouldn't be burning a lot of oil at only 100K mi, suggests to me that it seldom if ever had oil changes done, or they drove it recklessly and ragged it out.

If this what you are hearing and you decide to have the chain and guides replaced, get the water pump replaced (as preventative maintenance) while it is apart. My dealer quoted $2200 total.

Consider location though, this could easily cost 50% more in NY, NY.

Back