2018 Platinum starts without key | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2018 Platinum starts without key

Reaction score
City, State
Brighton, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer Platinum
I bought a 2018 Platinum used and was only given 1 key fob from the dealer. So, I am sure there is another key around and discovered last night that it may be hidden/lost in the vehicle from the previous owner.

The reason I am posting is to ask, is anyone else able to start their explorer without the key? I discovered I am able to leave town, turn off the car, start the car, and lock someone inside and have them start the car all without the key.

Naturally, I am hoping there is a key to be found inside somewhere, but before tearing the explorer apart, I'd like someone to confirm they are NOT able to start their explorer without the key inside. Or at the very least, if you leave town, would your explorer warn you that the key is not in the vehicle?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like there is a fob inside the Explorer. Have you checked the pocket inside the center console?

I'm also thinking that the doors should refuse to lock (or stay locked) with a fob inside the vehicle. Try moving the "known" fob far, far, far away from the Explorer so that it can't possibly be sensed. Then, open the driver's door, press the lock button on the door, and close the door. If the Explorer senses a fob inside the vehicle, I believe the doors should automatically unlock. I think this test should work?? Thoughts??

When you leave town, are you taking the Explorer with you and locking someone in it at your destination, or are you locking someone in the Explorer at your house and taking the key with you out of town? How long do you leave the person locked in the car? Have they ever started the car and taken off with the vehicle?

I see you are in CO. Does this problem surface shortly after 4:20 or can it happen at any time throughout the day.

Did you contact the dealer that sold you the vehicle and inquire with them? If it's still under b2b warranty, have you considered stopping by the dealer and asking them to have a look at it?

We bought a Fusion recently and found a third key cramed in with the manual in the glove box. Also test drove an Edge with pb start on weekend and when the sales guy held the fob just outside the drivers door, it started beeping. So if Explorer is like that, key can't be too far away from drivers seat...

Open the driver's door, lock it with the button or inside door switch and then close the door. If there is a key fob inside, the door should automatically unlock.

Peter

Sounds like there is a fob inside the Explorer. Have you checked the pocket inside the center console?

I'm also thinking that the doors should refuse to lock (or stay locked) with a fob inside the vehicle. Try moving the "known" fob far, far, far away from the Explorer so that it can't possibly be sensed. Then, open the driver's door, press the lock button on the door, and close the door. If the Explorer senses a fob inside the vehicle, I believe the doors should automatically unlock. I think this test should work?? Thoughts??

I'll check the center console better. My next question if I find that there must be a key inside will be where one could be hiding. It's not in the tangle of wires and massage bags inside the drivers seat but I haven't looked elsewhere yet.

Open the driver's door, lock it with the button or inside door switch and then close the door. If there is a key fob inside, the door should automatically unlock.

Peter

My wife has the explorer at work right now but I will do the test you guys suggested once she gets home. I usually use the fob to lock the doors and it works fine (assuming, the double honk after closing the door if locked by fob before closing the door is normal).

Peter
The OP already said they were able to lock someone inside. If the doors don't unlock, wouldn't that mean there are no other fobs in the vehicle?

I discovered I am able to leave town, turn off the car, start the car, and lock someone inside and have them start the car all without the key.
Upon further review, I think this is a riddle and there may actually be two different explorers. Otherwise, how can the OP leave town, turn off the car, then start the car, then lock someone inside and have them start the car? If the car was already started, who turned it off so the person locked inside could start the car. There has to be two different explorers. Man this is really confusing. And, why does the OP leave town again with the car running? Who turns it off and restarts it before locking someone inside it?

My wife has the explorer at work right now but I will do the test you guys suggested once she gets home. I usually use the fob to lock the doors and it works fine (assuming, the double honk after closing the door if locked by fob before closing the door is normal).
I don't use the fob to lock/unlock the doors but what you described seems to be what is expected when using the fob to lock the vehicle. Even with a fob inside.
Just reconfirmed you can lock a fob inside by using another fob. When I lock my Platinum with the fob, I do not get a double honk. The doors lock, the signature/parking lights come on and the outside mirrors fold.

Peter

Last edited:

I don't use the fob to lock/unlock the doors but what you described seems to be what is expected when using the fob to lock the vehicle. Even with a fob inside.
Just reconfirmed you can lock a fob inside by using another fob. When I lock my Platinum with the fob, I do not get a double honk. The doors lock, the signature/parking lights come on and the outside mirrors fold.

Peter

I get the double honk only when locking, while a door or lift gate is open, once the door or lift gate is shut. I think you are saying that, since I use the fob, there could still be a fob inside. BUT, if I were to use the interior lock, shut the door, and a fob were still inside, the doors would automatically unlock?

Check out page 165 of Owners Manual it shows where to place the Key Fob if the battery is dead in the FOB. Someone might have placed one there because of a dead battery and just left it. When I go to post it the pictures do not show up. After that I would look in between the seats between the console and side of the seat. Might have falling out of someones pocket. Last if not already done is Glove Box. If none of them bring it back to selling dealer and have them remove all keys form it and only learn the one you have and a new one.

The other thing is Fast Restart within 20 seconds if you hit the button again it will start with or with out a key present.

[QUOTE="narcanony18Platinum, post: 3759484, member: 344796"............ BUT, if I were to use the interior lock, shut the door, and a fob were still inside, the doors would automatically unlock?[/QUOTE]Yes, that is correct. It is a safety feature.

Peter

The mystery continues...

When locking the door from the interior switch and then closing the door, the door remains locked.

Additionally, the vehicle still starts without the key inside and gives no warning when I drive away.

So, I’m still not sure if there’s a key inside the car. Can someone try starting theirs without the key inside? Lock it from outside and have someone inside the car attempt to start it.

Also, there’s no key in the center console sleeve but I’m glad I learned that was there now.

The vehicle unlocking itself with a fob present inside the vehicle is known as Smart Unlock. I believe this feature can be disabled by dealer software. Its possible the previous owner had this disabled and hid the extra fob in the vehicle and just used the keypad to enter the vehicle. This would be my guess.

Ok I made sure both key fobs were inside the house and I had my wife lock the doors with me in it. I attempted to start it and the message popped up saying there was no key detected. I also attempted to lock the doors with one key fob in the vehicle and one in the house. I used the lock switch on the inside of the drivers door. When I shut the door, the vehicle honked and auto unlocked. The only way I was able to get the doors to stay locked with a fob in it is by shutting the door and then using the key pad. I think another way is by touching that black button thing on the handle while you have the second fob in your presence.

I would look around the seat tracks and under the seats near the center console to see if a fob was lost there.

Ok I made sure both key fobs were inside the house and I had my wife lock the doors with me in it. I attempted to start it and the message popped up saying there was no key detected. I also attempted to lock the doors with one key fob in the vehicle and one in the house. I used the lock switch on the inside of the drivers door. When I shut the door, the vehicle honked and auto unlocked. The only way I was able to get the doors to stay locked with a fob in it is by shutting the door and then using the key pad. I think another way is by touching that black button thing on the handle while you have the second fob in your presence.

Thanks! I appreciate the testing. I guess I need to tear it apart and find this key. I think jmr must be right since I’ve never gotten a warning that the key wasn’t detected. Thanks for the insight guys, I’ll update if I find it.

Since the key wasn't detected when you were able to lock the doors, I'm thinking there isn't one inside or else the doors would have unlocked as mine does and as Adrian's did. Did you get any kind of warranty from the dealer? The fob has about a 3 foot range. Are you over the 36k mile mark?

Peter

Since the key wasn't detected when you were able to lock the doors, I'm thinking there isn't one inside or else the doors would have unlocked as mine does and as Adrian's did. Did you get any kind of warranty from the dealer? The fob has about a 3 foot range. Are you over the 36k mile mark?

Peter

I’m still under 36k. You think I should just bring it in to the dealer?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Christine ?

christine-1983-1.jpg

Back