2018 Sport w/ Borla '16-'17 Catback Installed! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2018 Sport w/ Borla '16-'17 Catback Installed!

JFR2

Reaction score
City, State
Walpole
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer Sport
Last month, I found a used Borla catback (140659) for '16-'17 Explorer Sport for $250. I was almost positive I could get it to fit my '18 Sport with some wigglin' & jigglin', so I bought it. Finally got it installed this weekend. Now remember, the 16-17 has built-in tips in the rear valence. The 18's have dual-tips on the muffler, so that issue would have to be dealt with.

The install went pretty easy. One of the reasons my kit was so cheap was that it was missing the mid-muffler to rear-muffler intermediate piping. Borla wouldn't sell them to me, but I was sure the shop could weld a replacement. Instead, they cut the rear stock mufflers and welded the Borla rear mufflers to the stock intermediate pipes. They are the same diameter. Additionally, the Borla mid-muffler was welded in aft of the cats. The stock tips are offset from the center of the stock mufflers to fit in the rear valence opening. They thought they might have a problem putting non-offset tips on. It wasn't an issue, though. I had 4" rolled dual-tips installed and they beefily fill out the valence openings.

The system sounds great! Not too loud. Not raspy. Not snappy at high RPMs. All in all, probably about as good as you'll be able to get from something that is not a V8.

So...YES! The '16-'17 Borla catback can be made to fit the '18-'19!!!

Work done by Lou's Custom Exhaust in Stoughton, MA.

-JR

IMG_2068-L.jpg

IMG_2073-L.jpg

IMG_2074-L.jpg

IMG_2075-L.jpg

IMG_2076-L.jpg

-JR

Thanks for confirming this works and for posting the vids. Sounds great! I am finally convinced that this is the way I will go as well.

Edit: I am not having much success finding any 2.25 -> 4.0 dual tips. Would you mind sharing the details on the ones you have?

The tips were something the exhaust shop had on hand. Sorry.

-JR

Back