• Register Today It's free!

2018 xlt 4wd

realscot2

Reaction score
City, State
Arlington Hts ill
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 xlt 4x4
Chicagoland is having a fairly snowy winter and I've used the snow mode more than ever before. I've never really paid attention to the power output bar graph under driver assist, intelligent 4wd but I've kept it on lately. What I've noticed is that in FWD default mode, regardless of the pavement condition there is power output to the rear wheels from a dead stop up to around 20-30mph. When in snow mode there is certainly more power being shown going to the rear wheels, but I was curious why there is any rear wheel output in FWD.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

With these AWD Explorers, it's never really just FWD. System is always moving power around.

Some modes more actively apply power to the rear.

Also, I've never really put a lot of faith into the power display. Under very light acceleration it shows no bars on my Sport, which obviously can't be true if you are accelerating.

Medium throttle, more bars to the front with varying level of rear bars lighting up and put the hammer down and all bars light up, which makes sense.

Chicagoland is having a fairly snowy winter and I've used the snow mode more than ever before. I've never really paid attention to the power output bar graph under driver assist, intelligent 4wd but I've kept it on lately. What I've noticed is that in FWD default mode, regardless of the pavement condition there is power output to the rear wheels from a dead stop up to around 20-30mph. When in snow mode there is certainly more power being shown going to the rear wheels, but I was curious why there is any rear wheel output in FWD.
That is the way it works. I noticed that on my 2011 Limited as well with some power going to the rears from a stop. That will also take some of the 'pressure' off the front wheels/tires.

Peter

I also don't believe the graph, normal drive mode the rear can kick out in snow and will still show most the power went to the fronts. I don't fully think the system is hype as I went sand mode in deep snow, once the car went sideways enough it defaulted back to normal. I got super stuck and snow mode with T/C off wasn't helping me much. Our snow storms start off as rain beforehand making it a nightmare on these 1 season tires. before I get too far off, From what I've seen on the graph picking any of the modes or using sport will make the rears kick in more besides the from a dead stop.

The display gets its information from the power distribution system.

Peter

I've learned from the Facebook groups that sand mode is the way to go for launching in the snow. It disables traction control and sends more power to the rear wheels.

With all the snow we get, the really slick spots at stop signs, I just switch to Sand Mode and send it. At the traffic lights in snow, I use Sand Mode and full send if I want to launch it in the snow. If there's a patch of ice/slush/snow that will bog down traction control, like you're trying to merge onto a busy road, Sand Mode is the way to go. Let the AWD system dig through the slush without traction control bogging you down. The same goes for making turns and applying power. Traction Control will exacerbate understeer whereas Sand Mode or disabling Traction Control can allow for more tire spin to correct drifts easier or induce oversteer.

I'd think that you'd want more power to the front wheels as that is where the weight is. In 'Snow' mode, the TMS will limit torque to the wheels to prevent them from spinning. That will keep the vehicle stable and maintain traction. That's what you want. In deep snow, you can always turn TC OFF. TC also is one of the features that 'feeds' info to the Electronic Stability Control which will help prevent over and counter steer in icy conditions.

Peter

Sand mode is what you want in the snow. Launching or otherwise. Turning traction control off will work Ok but not as useful as sand mode.

Back