• Register Today It's free!

Adding engine oil cooler

realscot2

Reaction score
City, State
Arlington Hts ill
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 xlt 4x4
Added a factory engine oil cooler to my 2018 XLT 3.5. Pretty straight forward except for finding the correct radiator hose with dual connections. Actually bought it at the dealer ( $56 ) after searching on line ($85).

Very little room to get the top 3 bolts started, but other than that pretty easy to do. I'll share the cooling diagram to save anyone doing this mod the grief.

Resized_20200720_122059(1).jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I love the diagram, and will add it to my own files; thanks! I also recently finished adding this very same equipment on my own 2018 3.5L XLT, as part of adding almost all of the factory tow package parts to my own vehicle!

I removed the rear bumper and fascia, and replaced it with the Ford OEM 5K-lb trailer hitch kit; then replaced the rear lower valence with the factory valence that comes with the tow package, for the factory "hidden" hitch look. I then also installed the factory "Tow/Haul" switch and panel in my dash... and finished it all off with not only the OEM oil cooler items you show above, but also replaced the front bumper lower valence, to accomodate the cooling air duct kit that is also part of the factory package. (I've done some other write-ups on these projects here on the forum).

The only thing I could not upgrade was my 6F50 transmission with the "6F55" version, which I've learned has a few beefier internal running parts to help it meet the maximum-rated loads a little more confidently.

Anyway, thanks for the great diagram!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    402.5 KB · Views: 371
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    250.7 KB · Views: 291
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    266.9 KB · Views: 249
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    255.3 KB · Views: 258
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    307.9 KB · Views: 524
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    298.1 KB · Views: 274
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    234.8 KB · Views: 243
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 362

................................................................................................................................

The only thing I could not upgrade was my 6F50 transmission with the "6F55" version, which I've learned has a few beefier internal running parts to help it meet the maximum-rated loads a little more confidently.

Nice upgrade Bob but keep in mind that it is still only rated to tow 2000 lbs. The official tow rating of the vehicle cannot be changed once it leaves the factory.

Peter

Ive got all my oil cooler parts, waiting for time to install. Figured an oil and coolant change would go hand in hand

Yep, Peter, I am aware of that; thanks!

Another observation that I've forgotten to mention in my postings is that the aftermarket tow hitches typically only mount with 4 to 5 bolts underneath the rear, whereas the OEM hitch actually mounts using a total of 12 bolts... 6 underneath and 6 on the upper rear body structure... certainly a much more heavy-duty way to mount it, strength-wise. Again, I'm just sharing an observation, and I do understand about the total "tow rating" question, regarding having it all installed at the factory in the first place.

Looking to add factory ford oil cooler to 2017 XLT 3.5L auto, AWD, Non turbo, no tow package. Hoping it is just an oil filter adapter and new lower radiator hose but have had no luck researching internet and dealer was no help. Anyone used an adapter from another model with 3.5 and lower hose maybe?
Thanks

No. Far as I know they only come with tow package.
Okay, I wasn't sure. I've merged your thread with this one. Perhaps it may help.

Peter

Nice upgrade Bob but keep in mind that it is still only rated to tow 2000 lbs. The official tow rating of the vehicle cannot be changed once it leaves the factory.

Peter
If this is true how can I add a 20k goose in my pick up and still be ok in DOT’s eyes as well as fords?

Why does the sales brochure say non tow package rigs can have the hitch added without oil cooler and tow 2k and if you add the oil cooler it’s 5k?

For the first question, I would say that you can't do it if it exceeds the manufacturer's towing weight.
On the second question, you may have answered your own question. It's a 'sales' brochure.
This isn't to say that you can't tow more than what the vehicle is rated for by upgrading various components but you can't do it legally.
Explorers with the Factory Tow Package option also have a different transmission among other items.

Peter

Back