• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

2019 EF Moab run May 13-19 Discussion thread

Albino 94LTD

Recovering from Moab 2016
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Newcastle Wa
Year, Model & Trim Level
White 94 Limited
Callsign
KG7PKQ
Hello everybody!

I mentioned the date to Rick a while back and he said none had been set yet so,,,,.

This date works for one of the NW guys that has to put in his vacation a whole year in advance so that's what we picked.

We will be leaving the Puget Sound area on the 11th arriving the evening of the 12th. We will run trails all week culminating with the 'official' EF run the weekend of the 17th-19th.

Post up and lets get this party started!!

Going from the PNW;
JrGaylor - Joe
Diff Whack Daddy - Kevin
Me
Dwight (white jeep guy)
Setinu - Jim Carey
Jeff Panek - (4Runner)

From other parts of the country;
Rick Horwitz

Last edited:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Setinu

Reaction score
City, State
Gill CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93XLT
I'm jim and I'm going!

jrgaylor

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
1985 BroncoII
If you plan on staying in Moab better get your reservations quick because as it is Kevin and Myself had to get space at 2 different RV parks.

kristinandq

Reaction score
City, State
West Valley City Utah
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 explorer
I am a maybe i will make my reservations tomorrow. That is the same week that rally on the rocks is. Guessing probably going to be a lot of side by sides there for that.

Suicide77

Elite Explorer
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Salt Lake City, Utah
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer
Summer classes begin May 13th for me, however, I will keep a keen eye on this thread and see if things work out for the best :)

tdavis

Linux Guru, Jack of All Trades
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Pinole, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 F250/XLT Superduty
Callsign
KG6MAX
I hope you didn't book at Slickrock Campground - that place is a disaster. Low water pressure, showers that would run cold at random, low hanging branches, and electrical brownouts was our experience last September.

JungleSkunk

Reaction score
City, State
Carbondale, Co
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0
edit: Looks like I may be in town after all! Nothing but big plans for the rig this summer hopefully I can make it to one of these meets!

Last edited:

Albino 94LTD

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Newcastle Wa
Year, Model & Trim Level
White 94 Limited
Callsign
KG7PKQ
I wish I would have been checking the forums more often this winter. I fly back home March 20th and will miss this by a couple days. I should have booked a week earlier :( Nothing but big plans for the rig this summer hopefully I can make it to one of these meets!
If you get back in March, you have almost 2 months before the run. It's in May (or was that a typo?)

JungleSkunk

Reaction score
City, State
Carbondale, Co
Year, Model & Trim Level
If you get back in March, you have almost 2 months before the run. It's in May (or was that a typo?)
I was surfing the forum on my phone. Disregard looks like I will be around after all.

Theoffroadexplorer

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 explorer
Do you have a list of trails that you are going to run? Just curious how difficult and if I can even run with you all.

Albino 94LTD

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Newcastle Wa
Year, Model & Trim Level
White 94 Limited
Callsign
KG7PKQ
In years past there were enough participants to have several groups running wide variety of trails

Suicide77

Elite Explorer
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Salt Lake City, Utah
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer
Do you have a list of trails that you are going to run? Just curious how difficult and if I can even run with you all.
If my Exploder isn't up to par I may just drive my Galaxie which would put me on lighter trails (Chicken Corner - Shafer - Onion Creek, etc..)

JungleSkunk

Reaction score
City, State
Carbondale, Co
Year, Model & Trim Level
I will be putting in for 16th to the 19th off and am all for some of the more moderate trails and camping. My rig is my daily driver so I have to be able to drive back to work on Monday :laugh:

It has been forever since Ive done Moab am looking forward to being on the driver side of things for once.

It would be cool to see some kind of rough agenda or route we can shoot for for the "Official" days at least.

Last edited:

Albino 94LTD

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Newcastle Wa
Year, Model & Trim Level
White 94 Limited
Callsign
KG7PKQ
The trails and agenda are usually set either at dinner the night before or at the market in the morning.

I like to start with 7 Mile Rim as a warm up but that would be Monday.

Others to consider;
Top of the World
Elephant Hill this is a National Park so NO DOGS, even IN the rig :-(
Strike Ravine
Kane Creek (Hamburger HIll is or can be pretty tough)
Of course no Moab Trip in complete without playing in the Hells Revenge/Fins and Things area
Metal Masher (love that trail)
Steel bender
Moab Rim (the Z turn is the toughest part of this trail)
Possible is the trifecta of Poison Spider Measa/Golden Spike/Gold Bar Rim and the Golden Crack. This is a VERY long day.
Cliff Hanger

I did run Bull Canyon one year and that was really mild but an interesting view (or maybe it was Hey Joe Canyon)

Considering I need to drive mine home 1100 miles, I need to keep reminding my self that while on the trails. No questionable driving like my avitar

adamsbro2

Bryan
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Clearfield, UT
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 XLT
Since I didn’t have a rig I didn’t plan work around it this year! So for now I’m a maybe/hopefully. Hope I find out soon enough to get a spot

damasodeljr

Reaction score
City, State
Albuquerque NM
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT 4dr
I would be interested in this event, never been to moab or to any EF event before. Any recommendations as to were to get a place to stay? Also would hope my xlt is good enough for some trails, currently on 35" 4.56 with just a rear lsd

Wonder if @Brian1 is going, maybe hell be able to give me some advise

Albino 94LTD

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Newcastle Wa
Year, Model & Trim Level
White 94 Limited
Callsign
KG7PKQ
IIRC, the first time I went to Moab, I was LS in the back and open in the front on 33's and we ran 7 Mile Rim, Top of the World, Metal Masher, Steel Bender and Cliff Hanger so I'm sure you will be OK (as long as the LS is tight and in good working order)

I hope @Brian1 will be there!!!

Brian1

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Albuquerque, NM
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XLT
Callsign
KG5BAQ
I would be interested in this event, never been to moab or to any EF event before. Any recommendations as to were to get a place to stay? Also would hope my xlt is good enough for some trails, currently on 35" 4.56 with just a rear lsd

Wonder if @Brian1 is going, maybe hell be able to give me some advise
Your first time I would definitely recommend Top of the World. Fins N Things, Hells Revenge and the big 3 are all good options too. I'm sure the guys going will have good suggestions on which trails you would be able to run when you meet each morning.

I hope @Brian1 will be there!!!
Same weekend as Overland Expo in Flagstaff :( Not sure what I'm doing yet but probably will be at the Expo.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Albino 94LTD

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Newcastle Wa
Year, Model & Trim Level
White 94 Limited
Callsign
KG7PKQ
You will have a much better time with us!!

Can you really afford any Overland stuff????

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Rick Moab 2021 - EF's 25th anniversary Offroad 4x4 Runs Planning and Discussion 17
Rick Moab 2020 Offroad 4x4 Runs Planning and Discussion 8
Rick Moab 2018 Dates June 1 - 3 Offroad 4x4 Runs Planning and Discussion 99
Glasken Moab 2017 Offroad 4x4 Runs Planning and Discussion 47
Rick Video from EF's first run in Moab - 2000 Offroad 4x4 Runs Planning and Discussion 0
Rick Moab 2016 Photos and Video Offroad 4x4 Runs Planning and Discussion 85
MrQ Moab 2016 Offroad 4x4 Runs Planning and Discussion 434
Stic-o So California crew to Moab Offroad 4x4 Runs Planning and Discussion 9
Brian1 Trip Report: Overland Expo to Moab May 2015 Offroad 4x4 Runs Planning and Discussion 12
Rick Pics from Moab 2000 Offroad 4x4 Runs Planning and Discussion 12
adamsbro2 Little moab Offroad 4x4 Runs Planning and Discussion 5
Rick Moab 2015 - May 22-24 Offroad 4x4 Runs Planning and Discussion 467
adamsbro2 Moab 2015 Planning - Setting a date Offroad 4x4 Runs Planning and Discussion 29
B Moab june 4-8 Offroad 4x4 Runs Planning and Discussion 2
adamsbro2 Moab 2014 May 16-18 Offroad 4x4 Runs Planning and Discussion 202
E Moab trip Offroad 4x4 Runs Planning and Discussion 2
Rick Moab 2013 Photos and Videos Offroad 4x4 Runs Planning and Discussion 230
CheapThrillEX Back from Moab.... Offroad 4x4 Runs Planning and Discussion 5
Char Moab 2013 - May 10-12 Offroad 4x4 Runs Planning and Discussion 662
Tbars4 Official Moab to Monument Valley 2012 trip report Offroad 4x4 Runs Planning and Discussion 94
NHarris Anyone going to be in Moab this weekend? Offroad 4x4 Runs Planning and Discussion 0
Char EF "Regular" Moab Trip Offroad 4x4 Runs Planning and Discussion 30
crazyflights Moab Trip April 30-May 5th Offroad 4x4 Runs Planning and Discussion 2
F 2WD Off-Roading near Moab? Offroad 4x4 Runs Planning and Discussion 3
Tbars4 Moab Expedition Trip April 17-25, 2012 Offroad 4x4 Runs Planning and Discussion 253
MoabB2 2011 Moab Bronco Safari, May 1-8 Offroad 4x4 Runs Planning and Discussion 1
MoabB2 Moab 2011 - May 21 Offroad 4x4 Runs Planning and Discussion 235
Rick Return from Moab 2010 Offroad 4x4 Runs Planning and Discussion 109
Paul Pre-Moab Rig Fixing Get-Together! Offroad 4x4 Runs Planning and Discussion 97
Diff Whack Daddy Moab 2010, MAY 22-23 Offroad 4x4 Runs Planning and Discussion 364
B Moab playtime Offroad 4x4 Runs Planning and Discussion 19
Diff Whack Daddy Moab Caravan Offroad 4x4 Runs Planning and Discussion 113
james t Moab run 2010 Offroad 4x4 Runs Planning and Discussion 79
Brian1 Red Rock Wilderness Act of 2009 & Moab - Act Now! Offroad 4x4 Runs Planning and Discussion 23
crazyflights Return from Moab -pre CCR09 Run -Pics Offroad 4x4 Runs Planning and Discussion 12
P Easy Trails in Moab for dead stock Aviator Offroad 4x4 Runs Planning and Discussion 6
crazyflights Moab Trip Sept 1,2,3,ideas and advice, checking interest Offroad 4x4 Runs Planning and Discussion 9
Rick Return from Moab 2009! Offroad 4x4 Runs Planning and Discussion 95
GJarrett Looking for Moab 2000 Photo Offroad 4x4 Runs Planning and Discussion 6
K Moab Trail Suggestions? Offroad 4x4 Runs Planning and Discussion 7
ProjectAviator Could this be our last Moab G2G?? Offroad 4x4 Runs Planning and Discussion 4
RFR2212 Moab 09 Offroad 4x4 Runs Planning and Discussion 0
ProjectAviator Moab 09 - May 30-31 (Important info in first post) Offroad 4x4 Runs Planning and Discussion 369
RFR2212 Sept Moab/NM trip-interested? Offroad 4x4 Runs Planning and Discussion 21
Diff Whack Daddy Moab 2008 Pics and Videos Offroad 4x4 Runs Planning and Discussion 79
Perry Non 4x4 Moab trip Offroad 4x4 Runs Planning and Discussion 2
B Who's planning on going to Moab in May? Offroad 4x4 Runs Planning and Discussion 9
C Moab 2008 Chat Thread : May 30-June 1 2008 Offroad 4x4 Runs Planning and Discussion 561
Z Moab Activist "Trail" Ride Oct 3. Offroad 4x4 Runs Planning and Discussion 4
Rick Moab 2007 Photos & Trip Report Offroad 4x4 Runs Planning and Discussion 143