2019 Explorer Sport rear door vibration/rattle | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2019 Explorer Sport rear door vibration/rattle

2019Sport4x4

Reaction score
City, State
OKC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2019 Explorer Sport
I looked at a 2019 Explorer Sport today. Liked the vehicle alot, especially the 3.5L TT Ecoboost.

Probably the only thing I didn't like about it was that BOTH rear door rattled when they closed. Sounded like the rattle you get from a loose piece of metal when a stereo with amplified bass hits. Thought it was strange on the driver's side, but then noticed that the passenger's side did it, too.

Is this common? Is there a known fix?

The deal is good enough. Might buy it anyway, but just curious.

Thanks.

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
That is not a common issue with the Explorer. I'm guessing that the interior door panels may have to be removed to locate the problem. Cou;d it be the door speakers?
BTW, in regards to your forum name, the Explorer is AWD.;)

Peter

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
That is not a common issue with the Explorer. I'm guessing that the interior door panels may have to be removed to locate the problem. Cou;d it be the door speakers?
BTW, in regards to your forum name, the Explorer is AWD.;)

Peter
The one I looked at was 4wd. The ad showed 4wd, the original window sticker showed 4wd, and the 2019 brochure issued by Ford Motor Co. identified it as 4wd (see attached).

As for your answer, thank you. I didn't think it sounded realistic. I even went to another couple of lots last night and found 2 other of the same generation and neither of them made that noise. I'm going to try to talk to another dealer's service department tomorrow before I close on it. Hoping to get a decent idea of what it'll cost to address it. I need some $ amount to use for negotiations.

Just to clarify, this sound was not related to the stereo. It was heard before the vehicle was even turned on just closing the rear doors.

Explorer4wd.PNG

This AWD or 4WD has been discussed here many times and there are several threads on it. The Explorer is basically FWD and switches to AWD when it senses the need. A 4X4 usually has Hi and Lo settings which the Explorer does not. Ford refers to it as Intelligent 4WD. You can see that by bringing up the display and see where the power goes.

Peter

Back