• Register Today It's free!

2019 Explorer Sport VS Car Wash

Fast1gt

Reaction score
City, State
Winnebago
Year, Model & Trim Level
2019, Explorer Sport
I am disappointed that I can't take my new 2019 Explorer Sport thru a car wash without parts being blown off! I have taken it thru 2X and each time parts of the roof rack rails end up coming apart and are sticking up! This is the same car wash I took my 2016 Subaru Outback and 2018 Toyota Highlander thru and neither car came apart like the Explorer! Come-on Ford! Really?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am disappointed that I can't take my new 2019 Explorer Sport thru a car wash without parts being blown off! I have taken it thru 2X and each time parts of the roof rack rails end up coming apart and are sticking up! This is the same car wash I took my 2016 Subaru Outback and 2018 Toyota Highlander thru and neither car came apart like the Explorer! Come-on Ford! Really?

The roof rails are a known issue on the post face-lift models of this generation (2016+). There is a TSB out for it. You should bring it back to the dealer, ask nicely and they should fix it for you.

The roof rails are a known issue on the post face-lift models of this generation (2016+). There is a TSB out for it. You should bring it back to the dealer, ask nicely and they should fix it for you.
Thank you! I will do that!

I believe the 2019 roof rail is different than the 2016-2018 models. I believe it is back to being similar to the pre-2016 rails. I'm not aware of a TSB for this issue. Do you have a number?

Peter

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Are your roof rails the raised type with space under the rail? The 2016-2018 rails were flush to the roof so you could not tie anything down by putting a rope, etc under the rail. See this post. 2016 / 18 Explorer Roof Racks - Totally Different
Thanks.

Peter

Peterk9 the picture on the post you listed is what I have and the part that is shown lifting off is exactly what happened to both sides of mine!

I believe the 2019 roof rail is different than the 2016-2018 models. I believe it is back to being similar to the pre-2016 rails. I'm not aware of a TSB for this issue. Do you have a number?

Peter

Ooh I thought I saw it in the TSB thread...

Let me check.

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Are your roof rails the raised type with space under the rail? The 2016-2018 rails were flush to the roof so you could not tie anything down by putting a rope, etc under the rail. See this post. 2016 / 18 Explorer Roof Racks - Totally Different
Thanks.

Peter

You know, never really thought about it but wtf. What is the point of roof rails if you can't even utilize them?? Am I missing something. So you have to buy the cross bars to make use of them?

You know, never really thought about it but wtf. What is the point of roof rails if you can't even utilize them?? Am I missing something. So you have to buy the cross bars to make use of them?

In your glovebox (if you have the flush rails) there should be some screw in eyelets that you can use to tie things down to your roof.

In your glovebox (if you have the flush rails) there should be some screw in eyelets that you can use to tie things down to your roof.

Bought my explorer used. I don't have anything in my glove box unfortunately. At least I haven't seen anything. Thanks for that info though. Maybe I should inquire about replacements.

The sad thing is even if you have the tie down parts you need the cross bars to tie something down without it resting on the roof itself.

Ford missed the boat big time with the Explorer roof rails.

Bought my explorer used. I don't have anything in my glove box unfortunately. At least I haven't seen anything. Thanks for that info though. Maybe I should inquire about replacements.

So did I. Mine were in the glovebox. A dealer should have them available pretty easily though. I tried looking for what they're called, but can't find them and my Explorer isn't near near atm. @peterk9 do you happen to remember what the part number was for the tie downs please?

The sad thing is even if you have the tie down parts you need the cross bars to tie something down without it resting on the roof itself.

Ford missed the boat big time with the Explorer roof rails.

They missed the boat on quite a few things. And yet, here we are having bought them!

So did I. Mine were in the glovebox. A dealer should have them available pretty easily though. I tried looking for what they're called, but can't find them and my Explorer isn't near near atm. @peterk9 do you happen to remember what the part number was for the tie downs please?
Here is a post with the picture of what you should have. Part number is on the package; 2016 / 18 Explorer Roof Racks - Totally Different

Peter

For the 3yrs I owned the Sport, I put it through a touchless carwash every week (150+ washes) and also surprised the roof rail covers never blew off, despite being loose.

Every once in a while, the passenger side roof rail blows loose in the car wash, I just snap it back in and it's fine.

So that's what those things are for. I never knew. I pulled one of the plastic plugs out to try one and it's all rusty in there.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So that's what those things are for. I never knew. I pulled one of the plastic plugs out to try one and it's all rusty in there.

In the roof rails? You can replace fairly easily and then seal them so they don't start flapping about everywhere.

Back