2019 Explorer Sport Water Pump Advice | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2019 Explorer Sport Water Pump Advice

Thisisjs

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2019 Ford Explorer sport
Hi, My wife and I currently own a Honda CRV . We have not owned it long but just found out we have another child on the way and have out grown the CR V . I’ll admit I’ve never found it comfortable for long drives and neither has my wife, so I’m not upset about selling it.

we found a Ford dealer that has really nice 2019 Explorer Sport with only 24000 miles for a great price and they offered us a substantial amount for the crv. I am 6’5 so finding comfortable cars is a challenge but I found the Explorer to be the holy grail of comfort . Also, the 4WD would be super handy as would the towing capabilities. I really love everything about it, as does my wife, and I could see my self driving it for the next 10 + years … and that would be the plan … to keep it a very long time .

I was about to pull the trigger as I’ve had great luck with fords in the past but then I learned about the absurd water pump design on these engines and I’m seriously having second thoughts now . I cannot see myself spending that kind of money for something that has that critical of a design flaw! The dealer advised to get an extended warranty (of course they did) but that’s another 3 grand and only covers the power train while it’s young and the problem is less likely.

I can see this issue has been brought up before but I thought I’d see if anyone has any advise ? I’ll go crazy driving a vehicle constantly wondering if coolant is silently destroying the engine, but I do love the Explorer. Are there ways to monitor the pump, ways to prevent? After market fixes? Etc

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The explorers are nice suvs, but yes the internal water pump and ptu's are known design flaws of it. Get the ext. warranty on here from Joel I believe and have piece of mind at a much discounted price.

Buying a used twin turbo AWD suv is not ideal if you have no mechanical skills. These cars are pretty reliable but they usually incur more than average repair costs due to the high performance engine stuffed into the transverse setup. Labor costs will always be more than parts etc..

That being said, if you have mechanical skills and are not afraid to rip stuff apart these cars can be wrenched on in the driveway. The engine bay is tight so usually have to take stuff apart just to get to something. Most serious repairs can be done without dropping the subframe despite what the dealer tells you.

I can see this issue has been brought up before but I thought I’d see if anyone has any advise ? I’ll go crazy driving a vehicle constantly wondering if coolant is silently destroying the engine, but I do love the Explorer. Are there ways to monitor the pump, ways to prevent? After market fixes? Etc
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
It seems that just about every vehicle, new or used has some 'quirks' about it. If you truly want the Sport, get a Ford ESP through the link that Toddman41 provided in his post. I would say that I'm not mechanically inclined but that never stopped me from getting a vehicle I wanted. I take out an extended warranty and let someone else do whatever work is required. There are some members that have over 100k miles on theirs and still have the original water pump. The PTU is another part that has caused issues for some. If you go for the ESP, be sure to include 1st day rental.

Peter

Thank you! I sent him a message to look into this .

Back