• Register Today It's free!

2019 explorer stuck in park

72harley1000

Reaction score
City, State
Palmetto
Year, Model & Trim Level
2019 explorer xlt
I had an issue with my 2019 explorer stuck in park and could find no information on how to resolve it until I checked with my friend who works for Ford.
I was told that it was likely a brake light switch fault, and the 1st thing to check was to see it the brake lights came on. they did. 2nd thing to check is if I could hear a click by the shift lever when depressing the brake pedal with the switch on. I did, so on to the next step, which was to take out the rubber tray in the compartment forward of the shift lever. Then remove the plastic cover which is at the back end of that compartment.
Using a flashlight to illuminate that opening, one has to really almost get your head in there, you will see a little plunger. Using a screwdriver, you can move that plunger forward and that will allow you to shift out of park.
In my case, that solved the problem by unsticking the plunger, and it now works as intended.

Welcome to the forum. Glad you got your problem fixed.

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
It is called the Brake-Shift Interlock Override and is covered on page 186 of the Owner's Manual, 2nd printing.:)

Peter

Back