• Register Today It's free!

2019 Sport Performance

MFE III

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles
Year, Model & Trim Level
'19 Sport
Traded my 2013 Sport for a 2019 and I really feel a fall off in power and acceleration.
Anybody else notice this? Granted, it's just my seat of the pants observation, but the engine just does not feel like it pulls like my 2013 did.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How many miles do you have on it?

Peter

Did you have a tune on it. Reason I ask is because they are the same motor and platform all hp ratings are the same. Now maybe you are feeling more torque management in a newer vehicle.

Just under 3k miles. No tune - pure stock. I thought the hp and torque specs were the same also, which is why my seat of the panys observation surprised me. maybe they changed the mapping of shift points for better mileage? Always seems to be at 1500 rpms and one gear too high.

It was the quickest 3 row SUV I drove...until I got my new to me 2016 XC90 T8 R!

Just under 3k miles. No tune - pure stock. I thought the hp and torque specs were the same also, which is why my seat of the panys observation surprised me. maybe they changed the mapping of shift points for better mileage? Always seems to be at 1500 rpms and one gear too high.

I'm not sure if I will be making any sense with this, but is the adaptive learning in your PCM causing this?

As in, you did lots of highway driving for the learning period and have now switched to city or vice/versa?

Edit: I should add, a possible solution would therefore be to reset the adaptive learning. My local dealer charges 0.5hr of labour for this (+tax), however it might be possible to do it yourself with forscan.

Engines can, and do vary. Your old one could have been producing more than the normal amount of hp, while your new one could be producing less than normal. I used to have a 2016 SS Camaro, mine made 30 more rear hp, than my buddies. That's noticable.

30 hp on a dyno isn't that significant unless it was done at the exact same time at the exact engine temp. Also same wheels and tires gear size trans etc. But the same car on a different day could almost have 30 hp loss or gain. Most common which I should have suggested before is I would check your plug gap. They seem to be all over the map out of factory and you should gap them to .028-.030 and they perform better. Try that and see if it feels better.

30 hp on a dyno isn't that significant unless it was done at the exact same time at the exact engine temp. Also same wheels and tires gear size trans etc. But the same car on a different day could almost have 30 hp loss or gain. Most common which I should have suggested before is I would check your plug gap. They seem to be all over the map out of factory and you should gap them to .028-.030 and they perform better. Try that and see if it feels better.

Apologies for my ignorance, but what is the process for gapping them? And what tools are required to do so?

You can use a feeler gauge to check the gap after you pull it out and honestly just use a workbench to tap plug off of and check gap. Usually one or 2 taps will do nothing to crazy needed.

My kitchen counter is gonna have sub in for a workbench, but that sounds way simple, thank you!

No problem if you need anything just let me know

Awesome just so you know we are trying to re work our trade in process to where we also might start taking competitor tuners in as well for a credit. Nothing 1005 yet but will go case by case for right now. Let me know if anyone is interested and I will see what we can get off for you guys. Thanks

You should check your turbo hoses for loose clamps. Not having an airtight turbo system causes a loss of power. The dealer can hook up the computer and check the boost level for any leaks.

Loose hoses were a problem on the early Sport Explorers.

Peter

Back