2019 XLT 3.5L NA - Flashing Check Engine P0300, P0305, P0306 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2019 XLT 3.5L NA - Flashing Check Engine P0300, P0305, P0306

gamepak20

Reaction score
City, State
Great Bend, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2019 Explorer XLT 3.5 NA
I have taken my Explorer to Ford 3 separate times for the same issue. During the fall was the first time and these codes came up, Ford dealer was told to replace the spark plugs and coils on 5 & 6 cylinders. Explorer went back in the next month with the same issue, this time Ford dealer was told to "remove the intake manifold, remove fuel rail and replace the cylinder, 4, 5, & 6 fuel injectors. Explorer went back to the dealer this month with the same issue, Ford engineer was consulted and told this is "operating characteristic and no repairs are needed"

This has been a consistent problem, especially on long road trips. We merging or passing vehicles the car feels like it stalls and takes about 30 seconds for the engine to allow you to accelerate again. The fix is not to accelerate too hard, near redline in 2nd or 3rd gear is were this mostly happens. I have own 8 Ford vehicles to include a 2015 Ford Explorer XLT 3.5L NA and never had this issue. Engineer claims the "PCM will disable fuel injectors when there is an engine RMP over speed condition detected" Also, per engineer "most engines under certain conditions will misfire when redlined due to valves floating unless its a performance engine"

I have lost my confidence in Ford since when is the flashing check engine normal? Has anyone else heard or seen this problem?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Are you getting these error codes under normal driving conditions?
A P0300 is termed as being "Severe" Ford P0300 – Meaning, Causes, Symptoms, & Fixes | FIXD Automotive.
P0305 - cylinder #5 misfire; P0305 – Meaning, Causes, Symptoms, & Fixes | FIXD Automotive
P0306 - cylinder #6misfire;; P0306 – Meaning, Causes, Symptoms, & Fixes | FIXD Automotive
It seems the last two are normally associated with the first code.
It appears as though the dealer was on the right track with cylinders 5 & 6. It also seems that there are a number of issues that can cause these codes.
Have you tried another dealer?

Peter

I haven't taken it to another dealer, and now with Ford engineer telling the dealer no repair needed is probably going to be in the system. I called Ford customer service and they opened a case and will look more into this. The solution to this would be an adjustment to the RPM range. The factory set it to 6500 RPMs, why not just drop it to 6200-6300RPMs. I have a decent knowledge when it comes to cars and understand what they are saying, but that is not a solution. I'm sure I could buy a tuner and make some modifications myself, but its a fairly new SUV. I can't imagine I'm the only one with this problem.

There are no other posts here like yours with the newer Explorer.

Peter

I haven't taken it to another dealer, and now with Ford engineer telling the dealer no repair needed is probably going to be in the system. I called Ford customer service and they opened a case and will look more into this. The solution to this would be an adjustment to the RPM range. The factory set it to 6500 RPMs, why not just drop it to 6200-6300RPMs. I have a decent knowledge when it comes to cars and understand what they are saying, but that is not a solution. I'm sure I could buy a tuner and make some modifications myself, but its a fairly new SUV. I can't imagine I'm the only one with this problem.
Not saying that isn't so but there are no other posts here like yours with the newer Explorer.

Peter

I was just hoping to find someone with a similar issue. Ford is reluctant to do anything. This is only a problem after long road trips, has to be heat-related with some components in the engine or the O2 sensors are faulting. Had a 2015 Explorer with the same engine, but never an issue merging or accelerating. This was the third time and I feel to keep a buyback from happening they are telling me there are no repairs needed. Brought it in at 1800 miles, 5500 miles, and now just hit 18,000 miles and only 10 months old.

I would be curious if someone with a newer explorer could test this issue after a long drive.

Obviously something is not right although tracking down the exact cause seems to be difficult. The links I provided showed several possible causes. The thing is that a flashing warning light is an indication of a more severe issue than a steady warning light.

Peter

I am having the exact same problem with my 2018 XLT. When passing, or attempting to merge at highway speeds, flashing CEL with codes P0300, P0305, P0306. It isn't an issue under normal day to day driving, just annoying knowing its "there".

I am having the exact same problem with my 2018 XLT. When passing, or attempting to merge at highway speeds, flashing CEL with codes P0300, P0305, P0306. It isn't an issue under normal day to day driving, just annoying knowing its "there".
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Has the dealer checked it out? There is obviously something wrong. If you're still under warranty, it may be a good idea to at least get this recorded in the service record.

Peter

We have taken the SUV 5 times to the dealer and are going through the lemon law now. Ford wants to Arbitrate this and doesn't want to buy it back. I figured I wasn't the only one with this problem. They diagnosed and replace over $2000 worth of parts and have thrown there hands up. After the third time, we were told its a normal characteristic and if we bought the sports model we wouldn't have this problem. It only acts up during long drives and when merging is necessary. Upon acceleration and merging, I lose power and have to pull off the road and then softly accelerate back onto the road.

Back