2020 2.3 engine slow to warm up | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2020 2.3 engine slow to warm up

Post number 3 has been selected as best answered.

michael loibl

Reaction score
City, State
maywood, new jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 EB V6 & 2020 XLT
So I’ve only had the new addition for a few weeks. The past couple of 35 degree mornings caused me to notice how slow the truck warms up. 2 minute idle, then a 6 minute 3 mile drive, and still just one bar lit up on gauge. Heat is barely warm at this point.

I popped the hood and felt both radiator hoses, both cool, so I assume thermostat is operating properly. Coolant levels are full.

It seems that 4 bars is full operating temperature, based on previous longer drives. Anyone else notice this on their 2.3?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not a problem in Phoenix but yeah, I notice it. The engine doesn't reach normal operating temps for several miles.

Upvote 0

Yeah, I have the ST but that too takes way longer than my previous Ford vehicles.

Upvote 0

Good thing I got the 2 row heated seats and the heated steering wheel, but that won’t help melt the snow and ice off the windshield.

I have 4 other vehicles in my household and none are even remotely slow to warm up.

Upvote 0

Welcome to the 6th gen. Forum Michael. :wave:

Peter

Upvote 0

Yeah, if all of them take so long, must be normal.

Upvote 0

My guess is that newer engines are so efficient, there's just not much energy available to warm the block and coolant. Gone are the days of the 400-cubic-inch BelchFire V8 that would warm-up before you got to the end of your driveway.

Upvote 0

I was reticent to post in this thread until I experienced this myself in the XLT. Today was a coolish day at 0c. Very slow to warm up. In fact, we completed our tasks and chores without the car getting up to temp. About a half hour and never got past two bars.
I've noticed this in other cars over the decades, but only when their thermostats failed open. Very similar.

Upvote 0

My guess is that newer engines are so efficient, there's just not much energy available to warm the block and coolant. Gone are the days of the 400-cubic-inch BelchFire V8 that would warm-up before you got to the end of your driveway.
Your guess is dead wrong - you want engines to warm up as fast as they can to achieve full efficiency!!! Cold = more gas to maintain full operation.

Upvote 0

I was reticent to post in this thread until I experienced this myself in the XLT. Today was a coolish day at 0c. Very slow to warm up. In fact, we completed our tasks and chores without the car getting up to temp. About a half hour and never got past two bars.
I've noticed this in other cars over the decades, but only when their thermostats failed open. Very similar.
This is def weird...I have a F150 2.7 and the engine warms up pretty quickly - usually by the time I hit the first light - about 4min away, I am already getting heat and 3 bars...

Upvote 0

Block your grill. If that doesn’t work, add a block heater. I had one on my old Explorer and loved it so much I added one to my Kia. Before if I got on the highway immediately it would never warm up fully.

Upvote 0

Depending upon which state the vehicle was sold in, it may already have a block heater.

Peter

Upvote 0

One more thing I noticed about the engine heat. My previous Navigator and Continental even after an hour worth of drive, if I park it in my garage (which is NOT heated) on cold days, it used to generate so much of heat that it worked like a space heater and I used to clean the car with the car generating sufficient heat to keep me warm.

Now after a 400 miles trip on the ST, I come back and park it, there is hardly any heat. I guess it is good for the engine and that should be the priority than me wanting the vehicle to function like a space heater and help me with the cleaning.

Upvote 0

One more thing I noticed about the engine heat. My previous Navigator and Continental even after an hour worth of drive, if I park it in my garage (which is NOT heated) on cold days, it used to generate so much of heat that it worked like a space heater and I used to clean the car with the car generating sufficient heat to keep me warm.

Now after a 400 miles trip on the ST, I come back and park it, there is hardly any heat. I guess it is good for the engine and that should be the priority than me wanting the vehicle to function like a space heater and help me with the cleaning.
Running cool isn’t good for an engine.

Upvote 0

It’s the reason motors have a thermostat. It stays closed to warm the engine up to operating temp as quickly as possible.

Upvote 0

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It’s the reason motors have a thermostat. It stays closed to warm the engine up to operating temp as quickly as possible.

What I am saying is, it does reach the operating temperature but after a long time compared to my previous vehicles (Lincoln / Ford). It takes several miles till I get on the interstate to even get the idle level to stabilize. And then it does get to all the operating heat level according to the gauge but when you come back home and park it, it does Not generate any kind of heat, you have to go put your face against the front grill to even feel the warmth. First time a vehicle is doing this so a little surprised.

Upvote 0

Back