• Register Today It's free!

2020 Engineering Flaws

Enterprise II

Reaction score
City, State
Summit, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 XLT
Hi All. Joined this forum to cite what I feel are engineering flaws associated with the 2020 Explorer. I drive a 2010 Explorer, and own a 2020. If I could purchase a 2010 new, I would over the 2020. Here’s what I’ve found in the 2020 that I consider to be engineering flaws.
1. All 4 side doors are too light. If parked with a fair wind from behind, the doors catch the wind like a sail and fly out of your hand unexpectedly. The force on the hinge - like a hyperextended knee, is tremendous. A few good wind events and you will need new door hinges and likely body work from crimping.
2. The 10 speed auto transmission is flawed.. particularly when in “manual” paddle mode. There are clunky shifts in both modes. Assume the 10 speeds are to make the 4 cylinder turbo work easier. The 2010 is seamless when shifting.
3. The round shift “knob” is ridiculous. Park is directly to the left of drive. Turn counterclockwise by mistake while rolling and you just ruined your transmission.
4. The 2020 vehicle has blind spots on both sides. The 2010 does not. Forget the side warning lights on the mirrors. The technology won’t save you (or the vehicle next to you) every time.
5. Bring back a real key. The push button can be operated by a child and the key fobs are constantly misplaced.
6. Way to much distracting technology. I don’t want a smart car that tries to drive me. I want a stupid car that I can drive with no bells/whistles going off. The control screen is more dangerous than a cellphone in terms of removing your eyes from the road to adjust the temp. Of course you can do it all via the steering wheel, but you need to memorize the buttons and flow sequences.
Thanks! Curious if I have company.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome from Ocean county. The over abundance of technology on new cars & trucks is why my wife & I drive 19 & 20 year old trucks. BTW a "fair" wind will blow the door out of my hands on my wife's 99 Explorer Sport & my 00 Ranger also. I hate the start button, I think it is stupid.

Welcome from Ocean county. The over abundance of technology on new cars & trucks is why my wife & I drive 19 & 20 year old trucks. BTW a "fair" wind will blow the door out of my hands on my wife's 99 Explorer Sport & my 00 Ranger also. I hate the start button, I think it is stupid.
We pulled our trailer 870 miles in the mountains last week. We went up and down a 12 degree grade for 3 miles. This was wonderful going down the speed limit was 30 MPH so I used hill descent. Works perfect!
paddles worked well in the mountains on windy roads. Transmission flawless. Tow/haul mode very nice.
I see the complaints about this explorer but we purchased it to pull a trailer not a grocery getter.
The 2.3 eco boost is very powerful. We do not need any more. 15 mpg pulling a 3500 lb trailer not bad.
I am in pressed with this Ford. They did a good job for RV people.

Attachments

• 0F03BB5F-BFC7-4846-B478-1EBC00C9E16C.jpeg
    0F03BB5F-BFC7-4846-B478-1EBC00C9E16C.jpeg
    289.8 KB · Views: 192

Hi All. Joined this forum to cite what I feel are engineering flaws associated with the 2020 Explorer. I drive a 2010 Explorer, and own a 2020. If I could purchase a 2010 new, I would over the 2020. Here’s what I’ve found in the 2020 that I consider to be engineering flaws.
1. All 4 side doors are too light. If parked with a fair wind from behind, the doors catch the wind like a sail and fly out of your hand unexpectedly. The force on the hinge - like a hyperextended knee, is tremendous. A few good wind events and you will need new door hinges and likely body work from crimping.
2. The 10 speed auto transmission is flawed.. particularly when in “manual” paddle mode. There are clunky shifts in both modes. Assume the 10 speeds are to make the 4 cylinder turbo work easier. The 2010 is seamless when shifting.
3. The round shift “knob” is ridiculous. Park is directly to the left of drive. Turn counterclockwise by mistake while rolling and you just ruined your transmission.
4. The 2020 vehicle has blind spots on both sides. The 2010 does not. Forget the side warning lights on the mirrors. The technology won’t save you (or the vehicle next to you) every time.
5. Bring back a real key. The push button can be operated by a child and the key fobs are constantly misplaced.
6. Way to much distracting technology. I don’t want a smart car that tries to drive me. I want a stupid car that I can drive with no bells/whistles going off. The control screen is more dangerous than a cellphone in terms of removing your eyes from the road to adjust the temp. Of course you can do it all via the steering wheel, but you need to memorize the buttons and flow sequences.
One question ... with all the so-called engineering flaws that you have discovered why did you buy a 2020 Explorer?

Seriously most of your complaints apply to any new car now days, not just the explorer. With the round shift knob, park is directly next to drive? You would hit neutral first if you were to turn it. Also, I turned it on accident while driving to shift into sport mode (drive mode knob is down below the shift knob) and the car wouldn't let me go into Park. So you don't need to worrying about that happening. All your complaints is so pity.

Just wait until you run into real problems like the wind noise, transmission fluid leaking, and other electrical issues then complain.

I honestly don't know why you purchased this car, since all the issues you mentioned you would have noticed during the test drive.

My only complaint is that my 2020 XLT 202A didn't have the signal mirrors promised by Ford's order guide (I've since fixed this, see below), and that the right-side mirror can't see the edge of the rear tire if I try to park it close to a curb without curbing it (I take pride in my uncurbed tires and wheels) because the bodywork goes outward too far over the rear wheels (IMHO). I personally like to see the tires fill out the wheel openings.

I like the rotary shift knob, I'd never buy another car without pushbutton start, I usually set the driving mode to "sport", and I park into the wind if I have a choice. It also shifts and drives smoothly for me. None of those complaints are issues for me.

A minor pet peeve is that I think the rear tail lamps should have the same 2-LED side marker lamps as the front (in red, obviously) instead of relying on the rear-facing LED light bars. To me the rear sides almost look unlighted, and I think side markers should look identical front and back.

Finally, I think that the engineering that got a vehicle of this size down to only 100 pounds heavier than the Edge, while having far more silence and solidity than the outgoing Explorer, was quite a feat.

For my fourth clean-sheet, first-year Ford, the fits, gaps, paint, power liftgate operation, and rattle-free ride are as good as what I'd expect from a car in its third or fourth year of production, let alone the first. My VIN ends in A75***, so it was fairly early in production. Also, all of my recent Fords have had the panoramic roof, and it's just as well-implemented here as it has been in our Escapes and Edges.

So I respectfully disagree. I love it.

Attachments

• my_2020_explorer_mirror.jpg
    my_2020_explorer_mirror.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 194

Welcome to the Forum Enterprise II. :wave:
1. The doors on my 2017 did exactly the same thing as probably all vehicle doors do under certain conditions.
2. The transmission issues are a well known thing. There are several threads on that.
3. If you go from D to P, the transmission will not be ruined. There is built in protection by either having the engine stall or having the transmission go into Neutral. Part of "Smart Technology".
4. The Blind Spot Indicator System (BLIS) is there for info only. It is not supposed to replace the 'shoulder check'. The Manual contains a warning about that.
5. The Start/Stop button will only activate if the fob is with 3 feet or so of the vehicle. I have had 'Keyless Start' vehicles since 2011 and have never misplaced a fob. You may want to get some extras.
6. Yes, technology seems to have taken over our lives and not just in regards to our vehicles. I'm guessing it will only increase. I use "Voice" to control the temperature, radio and navigation without issues.

Peter

" 3. The round shift “knob” is ridiculous. Park is directly to the left of drive. Turn counterclockwise by mistake while rolling and you just ruined your transmission. "

To go from drive you need to shift through 2 gears first, neutral and reverse. Same as all automatic transmissions I've driven for the last 50 plus years.

" 3. The round shift “knob” is ridiculous. Park is directly to the left of drive. Turn counterclockwise by mistake while rolling and you just ruined your transmission. "

To go from drive you need to shift through 2 gears first, neutral and reverse. Same as all automatic transmissions I've driven for the last 50 plus years.
Don't you also have to have your foot on the brake to engage 'Park'? I don't have the "knob" but have 'piano-type' keys. Still prefer the shifter.

Peter

I'm not sure about that Peter but it might not. I don't shift into park very often. I got into the habit of coming to a stop and just turn the engine off. It then shifts into park automatically.

Don't you also have to have your foot on the brake to engage 'Park'? I don't have the "knob" but have 'piano-type' keys. Still prefer the shifter.

Peter

You don't have to put either vehicle in park. Anytime you are in gear (drive or reverse) and you shut the vehicle off, it automatically goes to park.

So basically you can pull into your garage, driveway or parking spot and shut the car off without putting it in park and it will do it instantly for you.

The concern here is doing it while driving. Can it be put in Park accidentally?

Peter

It can. but from the owners manual.

With the transmission in park (P), your
vehicle locks the transmission and
prevents the wheels from turning. Always
come to a complete stop before putting
your vehicle into and out of park (P).
When you switch the ignition off, your
vehicle shifts into park (P). If you switch
the ignition off while your vehicle is moving,
the transmission first shifts into neutral (N)
until it reaches a speed less than 3 mph
(5 km/h) and then shifts into park (P).
The electric parking brake may apply when
you shift to park (P) without the brake
pedal fully pressed. The electric parking
brake applies when you shift to park (P)
on large slopes. The electric parking brake
releases with the drive away release
function or manually as described in the
Releasing the Electric Parking Brake
section. See Electric Parking Brake

Response: This is true with any vehicle, the Explorer is actually more robust than many on the market. While designing the Police version the members of the Police Advisory Board worked with the Engineers to show them how officers have to kick the door shut by bouncing it back against the hinges so the door flings back closed. The Engineers used that same robust hinge engineering on the retail version. If your still concerned the PIU version has extra straps you can add really quickly that will take the force well before the hinges.

Response: This is your opinion based on your driving experiences with an older vehicle and they are not the same. Yes the 10 Speed does shift differently then a 10 year old 5 Speed transmission but the 10 Speed is far superior engineering. Again you can change this to something more your liking if you want to purchase a programmer and tune it to your preference.

Response: This is again your opinion based on personal experience and your muscle memory from years of driving an older vehicle, not actual fact. The park position can be anywhere on the shifter label and you can still accidentally put the shifter into park, thats why theres a safety fail safe as described above. You dont like it because of user error and muscle memory for the older way of shifting, thats OK to voice an opinion but not what Ford found when they did testing and focus group user feedback exercises. Every new vehicle will eventually have rotary shifter or push button shifter.

Response: Every vehicle has blind spots, I had the 2010 generation Explorer, the facts are the technology actually does make you safer, but you still need to complete a shoulder check as required. Blind Spot Monitoring systems are in almost every new vehicle so I doubt the OEM's would spend the money and add them to lower tier vehicles if the statistics did not support the costs. I really dislike the Lane Keeping Technology but I realize it will save lives and be safer in the long run.

Response: Keys are gone, your alone on this one. Nobody wants keys, in fact fobs will be obsolete soon too when the mobile smartphone key technology gets more refined and cost effective. Again the average Ford buyer wants keyless entry and push start they dont want keys. Take rate on keys is almost non existent. Even entry level vehicles are converting to keyless entry/push start. Misplacing the fobs is nothing Ford can help you with, only a trained medical professional can assist you there.

Response: The technology actually makes you safer, today in a 2020 vehicle you can walk away from a collision that you would have been seriously injured in driving say a 2010 Explorer. What your actually experiencing is your own inability to absorb and understand the technology thus your getting frustrated and blaming it for your inability to comprehend and use it effectively. People that get overloaded with too much tech are commonly referred to a "Techno-Peasant." We saw this with Fords release of My Ford Touch some users said the system was flawless, thats because their depth of understanding and use was turning the AM radio on and turning it off. They used 1% of its promised functionality while others tried to use 90% and were disappointed.

Speaking of engineering flaws, maybe go try a new Toyota 4Runner with its interior styling from 1974 or a GMC Acadia, I bet you like the Explorer then.

I like the doors they open up wider than my 2014 Acadia. Seats are very nice. All controls are easy to operate. Pulling a trailer is fantastic! No one person said anything. Dash fit and finish is good and easy to clean. We are going to Florida for the winter and next fall we are headed west. We did not purchase this to ride around town. My wife owns a 2020 Edge. Nice car but I like my Explorer better. Real wheel drive ie better to pull with than FWD. I have one complaint. The plug to plug my brake controller was hidden very good. They could have put it in front of the air bag to make it better to find. This is the best truck not an SUV I have ever owned. After 43 years of pulling a travel trailer I have the experience to rate this Explorer.
The motor is a beast. More than happy. Do nor expect to get good mpg you are pulling a trailer. My 2005 F-250 diesel got 9 to 10 mpg. I got almost 15 mpg with my explorer. Love my Explorer!

Yeah, there are many things I prefer about my '98 over my '14, especially ergonomics wise and repair ease and cost wise, though the '14 handles much better. I'm sure the '20 handles good and is more enjoyable to drive with RWD, though I'd have to have AWD then because that or FWD is necessary due to snow here.

The 10 speed tranny is just about eeking out a little better fuel economy, is also present on the 3.5L from the prior generation.

When we go from my wife’s 2020 edge to my 2020 explorer the explorer is higher. The explorer has more cabin room. All kinds of driving modes. We packed our car with a good warranty. I read about all of the problems but nothing good. We owned a 1998 Explorer it was ok and good in the snow. This new explorer has everything better.

.............................................................................................
The 10 speed tranny is just about eeking out a little better fuel economy, is also present on the 3.5L from the prior generation.
The 5th gen Explorer did not have the 10 speed transmission, if that is what you're saying. It had a 6 speed.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The 5th gen Explorer did not have the 10 speed transmission, if that is what you're saying. It had a 6 speed.

Peter
Hmm, thanks for the correction. I must've been thinking of the F-150 already having it prior to this model year.

Back