2020 Explorer as a rental...

SHUMAX

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2019 Explorer Sport
My 2019 Sport is in the shop for the hood replacement. My dealer gave me a new 2020 Explorer XLT. I appreciate it's not as "decorated" as my 2019 Sport inside. But, wow, was I underwhelmed by the engine. It responds like a rubber band. It sounds terrible, too - like a wimpy 4 cylinder. Had this odd whine and was really....just bad. The interior was nice, but I wouldn't say it was a "big" upgrade from the 2019. That's in the eyes of the beholder, I appreciate. Just didn't seem that much better to me.

I debated buying a 2020 when I got the 2019 Sport. I didn't want to pay the "extra" for the ST. I'm real glad I did what I did and got the 2019 Sport. I sure hope they expand the engine options by the time I wear out the 2019 - that 4 cylinder turbo is just not acceptable to me. Yuk.

Shumax

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

100% agree. I really was afraid I'd regret not getting the new powertrain (RWD/10 speed). But I'm also not a fan of the "upgraded" new interior and have been happy with my '19 save for a few initial quality issues. Mainly I was turned off by the price increase, so decided to deal on old stock last year instead.

I wouldn't expect more engine options, the 3.0 V6 is new for 2020 and the 2.3 I4 was carried over/improvement from the 2.0 I4 they initially tried to use to power the 5th gen. Most mid-size SUVs offer one engine option not two, I wouldn't expect Ford to offer three.

The 2.3 turbo, is unimpressive to me. Bad, actually. It’s my hope they put the 3.0 TT into some other line than the ST. Maybe the Platinum, down the road? Something under the ST.

I agree with you on the price increase - the key reason I did not buy the 2020. After driving this one, I am confident I made the right choice...

The 2.3 turbo, is unimpressive to me. Bad, actually. It’s my hope they put the 3.0 TT into some other line than the ST. Maybe the Platinum, down the road? Something under the ST.

I agree with you on the price increase - the key reason I did not buy the 2020. After driving this one, I am confident I made the right choice...
Platinum gets the 3.0TT now, detuned to match the power the 3.5TT used to make (365hp/350tq). Limited and below get the 2.3T, previously would get the non-turbo V6 as an option as well.

I have a '16 XLT and have been snooping around looking for a replacement. I was very surprised that a little 4 cyl was standard on th XLT and you had to move up trims to get a V6. What idiot decided to match a 4 cyl with a full size SUV?? I may have to look at other brands.

............................................................ What idiot decided to match a 4 cyl with a full size SUV?? I may have to look at other brands.
Perhaps the same one that had it as an available option at least as far back as 2015. In 2015 it was a 2.0 I-4 Ecoboost. There must be a demand for it otherwise I can't see it lasting this long. Unfortunately, the V6 option is gone. Maybe the demand for it wasn't that high in the XLT trim.:dunno:

Peter

Perhaps the same one that had it as an available option at least as far back as 2015. In 2015 it was a 2.0 I-4 Ecoboost. There must be a demand for it otherwise I can't see it lasting this long. Unfortunately, the V6 option is gone. Maybe the demand for it wasn't that high in the XLT trim.:dunno:
Peter

I imagine it was Cafe standards that moved Ford to it or perhaps it was a way to move you up trim levels, pay up for the V6 with the new model. I just checked the current Autotrader.ca ads for used Explorers from 2015 to 2019, of the 543 listed just 45 were 4 cyl, unscientific but just 8%, not many in Canada. On the U.S. website it was a bit higher of 14k for sale 14% were 4 cyl. Says to me it wasn't sales volume driving Ford to make it the only option available on the base trim. I expect a lot of those 4 cyl's available on Autotrader used were originally rental company purchases, they tend to cheap out.

I read a few reviews today that found the engine lacking, among them Consumer Reports , here their beef:

" there is no mistaking that there’s just a four-cylinder engine under the hood. It’s a bit noisy, with a raspy quality that isn’t appropriate for a midsized SUV, especially one that costs $50,000. The sound gives the impression that the engine is really working hard. This, combined with the wind noise, quickly becomes tiresome"

they weren't too happy with the transmission either:

" It can be challenging to drive the Explorer in suburban settings. When starting up from a stop, such as at a traffic light or pulling into traffic from a side street, the Explorer lurches forward. That’s followed by rough shifts from first to second gear, and from second to third. Plus, the transmission tends to hold on to a lower gear longer than it needs to, which makes the engine noise worse."

I like my '16 XLT with it's V6, first choice for another SUV would have been the Explorer, like the looks, nice vehicle. Given the tranny issues I see here and read about with Ford, then this 4 cyl. driving me into a higher priced trim now not so sure. I may have to re-think that.

I imagine it was Cafe standards that moved Ford to it or perhaps it was a way to move you up trim levels, pay up for the V6 with the new model. I just checked the current Autotrader.ca ads for used Explorers from 2015 to 2019, of the 543 listed just 45 were 4 cyl, unscientific but just 8%, not many in Canada. On the U.S. website it was a bit higher of 14k for sale 14% were 4 cyl. Says to me it wasn't sales volume driving Ford to make it the only option available on the base trim...........
Another way to look at it would be that perhaps those with the 4 cyl. Explorers are just so darn happy with them that they want to hang onto them.😁

Peter

The 2.3 is not bad at all. That's why it's now the standard engine in the 2020.

I have a '16 XLT and have been snooping around looking for a replacement. I was very surprised that a little 4 cyl was standard on th XLT and you had to move up trims to get a V6. What idiot decided to match a 4 cyl with a full size SUV?? I may have to look at other brands.

The 2.3 works perfectly well in a full size SUV. I have 40k+ miles on my 2.3. it works just fine. Having said that when I upgrade I will get the ST.

The 2.3 in the Explorer is a mistake. Sounds horrible and the power transfer is not good. Feels like a rubber band. Terrible. If you’ve not driven the 3.5 V6, and especially the V6 TT, you have no appreciation, I appreciate.

Having owned the 3.5 for 70k and two 3.5 TT’s for a combined mileage of 150k? I assure you, that 2.3 is a joke. Barf.

Shumax

The 2.3 in the Explorer is a mistake. Sounds horrible and the power transfer is not good. Feels like a rubber band. Terrible. If you’ve not driven the 3.5 V6, and especially the V6 TT, you have no appreciation, I appreciate.

Having owned the 3.5 for 70k and two 3.5 TT’s for a combined mileage of 150k? I assure you, that 2.3 is a joke. Barf.

Shumax

That is your opinion. Ford disagrees as do I. And I've driven all the drivetrains.

That is your opinion. Ford disagrees as do I. And I've driven all the drivetrains.

Are you kidding me? Of course you do. You bought one! Hahah. Ford did that as a cost cutting, CAFE measure. Wisen up, my friend.

All good. Enjoy it - you like it and that’s all that matters...

Are you kidding me? Of course you do. You bought one! Hahah. Ford did that as a cost cutting, CAFE measure. Wisen up, my friend.

All good. Enjoy it - you like it and that’s all that matters...

I regret it actually, wish I got the sport model. But, the 2.3 has been totally sufficient and I will add, efficient. As much as a midsize SUV can be.

But I think you're dogging the 2.3 way too much. Imo. Yes, compared to the TT, it is weak but the 2.3 actually sounds good and can pull decently well. It mainly just struggles when trying to pass on the highway.

At least I don't have to worry about my engine going up because a water pump lol

I regret it actually, wish I got the sport model. But, the 2.3 has been totally sufficient and I will add, efficient. As much as a midsize SUV can be.

But I think you're dogging the 2.3 way too much. Imo. Yes, compared to the TT, it is weak but the 2.3 actually sounds good and can pull decently well. It mainly just struggles when trying to pass on the highway.

At least I don't have to worry about my engine going up because a water pump lol

That's so true about the WP. Bad design, all the way around. :( I know it sounds odd, but if the 2.3 SOUNDED better, I wouldn't be as put off buy it. While the power it made seemed "peaky", to me, it was ample. It just whined and carried on more than other 4cyl turbo I've been around. YMMV, of course... ;)

That's so true about the WP. Bad design, all the way around. :( I know it sounds odd, but if the 2.3 SOUNDED better, I wouldn't be as put off buy it. While the power it made seemed "peaky", to me, it was ample. It just whined and carried on more than other 4cyl turbo I've been around. YMMV, of course... ;)

Hmm yeah this is my only turbo that I've driven at length, and it sounds good to me. Love the spooling up of the turbo. But I have very limited experience with turbo'd vehicles.

I just want the ST at this point lol kids are conducive for a mustang so that's the next best option. Now that vehicle sounds good!

Back