2020 Explorer base looking for LED fog lights | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2020 Explorer base looking for LED fog lights

jham

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer Base
Just taking delivery of my new company SUV coming out of a 2017 Ford Fusion Sport. The base fleet model Explorer is decontented and does not have the LED driving lamps so I am looking for a way to purchase and install them among other items. Any suggestions ?

Attachments

• 2020 Ford Explorer base.jpg
    2020 Ford Explorer base.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 124

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the headlights are led, you must be speaking of the fog lights?

Don’t put LEDs in a non LED reflector for driving/fog lights. It’s almost always a problem for everyone else on the road. If you buy a complete light and reflector kit, go for it.

If it’s a factory part, why not go to a dealer?

Don’t put LEDs in a non LED reflector for driving/fog lights. It’s almost always a problem for everyone else on the road. If you buy a complete light and reflector kit, go for it.

If it’s a factory part, why not go to a dealer?
Thanks. The base/fleet model does not come from the factory with the LED fog lights so I am trying to determine if there is a way to install the factory LED fog lamps.

Attachments

• 2020 Ford Explorer base.jpg
    2020 Ford Explorer base.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 127

Yes the fog lamps. The base/fleet model does not come from the factory with the LED fog lamps.

Yes, here you go. I think I know the parts, I've posted in the forscan thread as I found asbuilt files of a non foglight vs foglight explorer, so it really is someone pulling the trigger on trying things...

Yes, here you go. I think I know the parts, I've posted in the forscan thread as I found asbuilt files of a non foglight vs foglight explorer, so it really is someone pulling the trigger on trying things...

I'm not able to open that link. I just ordered a fleet 2021 XLT 4WD 200A ( could not add any other packages ) - interested to see if we can add foglights DIY or at the dealership afterwards. Anyone have experience there? Thanks!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
The link doesn't appear to work any longer. I also could not open it. Getting, "The requested thread could not be found."
Is this a 'company' vehicle? Just curious as to the "fleet" order vs regular retail.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
The link doesn't appear to work any longer. I also could not open it. Getting, "The requested thread could not be found."
Is this a 'company' vehicle? Just curious as to the "fleet" order vs regular retail.

Peter
hi Peter, yes, absolutely correct, it is a company vehicle offered through my employer. Thank you!

It wouldn’t surprise me if a oem style fog light is created in China via aliexpress etc that fits but needs manual wire and button. A true oem integration will require a harness as ford Didn’t run the fog wiring in a non fog light explorer

It wouldn’t surprise me if a oem style fog light is created in China via aliexpress etc that fits but needs manual wire and button. A true oem integration will require a harness as ford Didn’t run the fog wiring in a non fog light explorer
Thanks - that's good to know. I was *hoping* the wiring would have been run. Shucks.

I found this for the 2020;Fog Lamps for 2020 Ford Explorer | Auto Nation Ford White Bear Lake
I'm guessing the 2021 is the same.

Peter
Ah nice.

Thanks - that's good to know. I was *hoping* the wiring would have been run. Shucks.
yaaaa back on my 2005’s they did all use the same harness. Even my ram has mosr harness plugs available for the parts I’m missing.

ok with the oem fog lights available, and the EX being our a while, they usually make pig tails of all/most plugs for the auto repair shops. Since I’m collisions those parts can be sheered off. I would think if you found the pig tail, and the schematics of where the harness should go. Then it’s just enable via forscan and the physical switch. Or at least the thought

Ah nice.

yaaaa back on my 2005’s they did all use the same harness. Even my ram has mosr harness plugs available for the parts I’m missing.

ok with the oem fog lights available, and the EX being our a while, they usually make pig tails of all/most plugs for the auto repair shops. Since I’m collisions those parts can be sheered off. I would think if you found the pig tail, and the schematics of where the harness should go. Then it’s just enable via forscan and the physical switch. Or at least the thought
FWIW, I called a local dealer to ask them if I could buy the factory fogs & have them install on the vehicle. Went to the parts manager, he looked into a few things and came away with a "no" based on what he referred to as "no support" - so communication/wiring to the lights appear to be an issue with whatever electronics are involved. If you hear differently, LMK!

For the expense of the factory units you could most likely go to the high end audio installer in your area and have a set of better quality lights installed.

FWIW, I called a local dealer to ask them if I could buy the factory fogs & have them install on the vehicle. Went to the parts manager, he looked into a few things and came away with a "no" based on what he referred to as "no support" - so communication/wiring to the lights appear to be an issue with whatever electronics are involved. If you hear differently, LMK!
Using the Forum's 'Search' feature, I found a thread on adding them to an XLT and here is a post that might help. Adding OEM fog lights to 2020 Explorer

Peter

For the expense of the factory units you could most likely go to the high end audio installer in your area and have a set of better quality lights installed.
I like this idea. I have the XLT with the 200A, so no factory fog lights for me. My neighbor said that he is going to find a way to hide a LED lightbar on mine, but I have been pleasantly surprised with the LED headlights, having come from a 2017 silverado that had a bull bar mounted lightbar, I feel like I can see better with just the headlights on the explorer.

Back