• Register Today It's free!

2020 explorer differential

Ricky7780

Reaction score
City, State
Quitman tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 explorer limited
Hi everyone! First post here. But I have a question about the rear drive. I have a limited 2.3. But, what type of differentials do the the explorers have? Limited slip or open? My passenger rear tire is wearing faster and it got me curious if the type of diff was the cause. Sorry if this is a dumb question but I have searched and searched and can’t get a good solid answer. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've seen mention of a Non-Limited-Slip Rear Axle.

Peter

They’re probably open. If you want to know for sure, jack up the back and see if the wheels spin in opposite directions.

While we are on the subject, do we know what differential is used? I can't tell what size the ring gear is.

Those are the gear ratios (thank you for sharing though!) but I'm looking for ring gear size. 8.8", 7.5", etc.
Odds are it's a super 8.8 in the rear, same as the 15+ mustangs. Back when the 3rd and 4th gen explorers were around they also had IRS and used an 8.8 just like the one used in the 89-97 T-birds. But I have yet to confirm, I would like to change mine to 4.10's. I've been digging around on the internet for 2 months now trying to find out what it has but so far no luck. BTW the 02-10's used an 8.8 in the rear and a dana 30 in the front.

If your explorer is 4wd then it most likely has an open diff, ford can control wheelspin a lot more efficiently thru electronics than any mechanical posi unit ever could. But then again, the new timberline edition explorer coming out gets a torsen rear diff. The torsen or torque sensing is a mechanical or geared traction loc device that ford uses in performance oriented mustangs like the shelby gt350 and the new mach 1. Because of the torsen used in the timberline, thats what leads me to believe that the rear is a super 8.8 just like the mustangs.

I just chatted with Eaton trying to see if a truetrac they now have available for the mustang would work in an explorer:
Eaton Detroit Truetrac Differential, Type: Limited Slip, Ring Gear Dia. 8.8", 34-Spline

The rep confirmed the ring gear and spline count match, but noted axle placement issues.
Just a data point.

Your best option is get a torsen from ford they they put in the explorer timberline edition, then you know it will fit.

Here is video that explains how a torsen works

and an eaton trutrac

Get whatever works for you, the are basically the same in that they work on the same principal, they just go about it in different ways.

Over the years I've had trac-loc diffs, open diffs, electronic locking diffs and a torsen. The torsen just works, doesn't need any outside influence to work like the electronic locker does, doesn't need an additive mixed with the gear oil like the trac-loc does, and doesn't have parts that wear out. So once it's installed it should last a lifetime unless seriously abused.

In theory the trutrac should also just work, but I don't have any experience with one. I heard rumors that the torsen was a stronger unit than the trutrac, that is why ford chose the torsen for the high powered mustangs like the Shelby's, mach 1, bullitt, etc.

And finally, for street use, the torsen, and probably trutrac will eat tires a lot faster that a trac-loc style differential. I wore out my back tires on my mustang in 11K miles.

Yesterday while having the oil changed, I got a look at the underside of my ST and snapped a pic of the label on the rear axle center section.

20210719_111810.jpg

I don't know what it all means, my best guess for the bottom row, CD6R is for the CD6 platform R is rear of vehicle, 88 is for 8.8" 3C58 is for the 3.58 gears that is installed.

If anyone knows what the rest is please jump in and inform us.

I can't say I know what it all means, but my '21 XLT has:
L1MW 4200 YC
CD6R 8.1/3.58

Yeah, 8.1 (not 8.8).

I can't see ford using 2 different sized rear axles on the explorer, so maybe the 88 on mine or 81 on yours does not denote axle size but something else?

Something just occurred to me, the middle row is most likely the part #

The L1MW denotes vehicle line and year it was first used with the L being 2020-2029, the 4200 is for a rear IRS differential carrier assy, and the GC on mine and the YC on yours denotes revision or different spec. That how ford's part # system has worked for the last 50 that I know of

Wow, OK so ford did use two different size rear axles. The timberline is just basically an off road package on an XLT, so it most likely will have an 8.1

Excellent link. I just bookmarked the complete service manual.

Agree, thank you @BashCram. That's hugely helpful and definitely scratched my curious itch. 8.1" - interesting! I don't think that differential is used on anything else (yet) other than Explorer and maybe Aviator if it's offered with the 2.3L.

We might see the 8.1 on future CD6 platform vehicles, if there is any.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just fired off an e-mail to ford performance parts product inquiry dept. I basically asked if they had plans to make any performance parts for the ST. Here is the exact text I sent them

"Are there any plans to offer performance parts for the explorer ST? Specifically a cold air kit/ford racing performance tune, and a trac-loc or a torsen differential for the rear super 8.8 and different gears for the front and rear axles. I would like to see 4.10’s myself. A #4,800 SUV with 31” tall tires needs more than a 3.58 gear for better off the line performance."

I let every know if I get a response and what they have to say.

Back