• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

2020 Explorer exhaust smell

rpmgolfs

Reaction score
City, State
OVERLAND PARK
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer Platinum
I have a 2020 Platinum Explorer. I get a exhaust smell in the cabin while the car is stopped. Doesn't matter if there are other cars around or not. I can smell it while walking around the car, usually around the front area is where I get the smell. I took it in to Ford and they couldn't find an issue or smell anything. I'm thinking about taking it to another dealer and see what they say. Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Mikey*TX

Reaction score
Liv'n in the hollow of an 'ol oak tree. ;-)
City, State
Skunk Hollow, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 EXP ST Blk
When is this happening ? On cold startup ? If so, you're going to have to leave it overnight, regardless of the dealership you go to. Manifolds expand against the gaskets as the engine heats up. That could be the reason the tech can't find an issue. The other suspect is the gas source. I make it a point to fuel at high volume stations. Also, if the tanker is making a fuel drop, I go elsewhere. The pump filters are good but, not that good.

TBill

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Prescott, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer Platinum
Been driving mine for over a year, no exhaust odor in the cabin.

TBill

NEWPORTNJ

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 ST EXPLORER
ST.
One Year no odor!!!!

MakinJeepsWeep!

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Polk County Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Explorer 5.0L AWD
Callsign
Big Red
This is exhaust smell not fuel correct?

MakinJeepsWeep!

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Polk County Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Explorer 5.0L AWD
Callsign
Big Red
Is this eco boost? Sorry forgot to ask yesterday...

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Russell, Ontario (Ottawa area)
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
the Platinum has the 3.0L V6 Ecoboost.

KKRISKAL

Reaction score
City, State
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Ford Explorer ST
The exhaust fumes are dangerous, it needs to be addressed immediately.

MakinJeepsWeep!

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Polk County Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Explorer 5.0L AWD
Callsign
Big Red
the Platinum has the 3.0L V6 Ecoboost.
Yup! Sorry I looked right over that little bit! Could it possibly be a loose boot? On turbo piping? Could be manifold leak just think you would hear it, a tick or pop, being so new I would have to say something is absolutely off. Listen closely to it run for any exhaust leak type sound. Check all around for any loose boots or one possibly missing a clamp. Check that intake duct it on and tight. About all I can offer on that! Hope it gets fixed! Let us know if you find something.

jr230

Reaction score
City, State
cape coral
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 explorer xlt..
Callsign
n3nai
I have a 2020 Platinum Explorer. I get a exhaust smell in the cabin while the car is stopped. Doesn't matter if there are other cars around or not. I can smell it while walking around the car, usually around the front area is where I get the smell. I took it in to Ford and they couldn't find an issue or smell anything. I'm thinking about taking it to another dealer and see what they say. Any ideas?
get it on record at the dealer, the police explorers have had a lot of problems and it can be carbon monoxide a deadly gas order lass if you smell exhause get ac on intake air and open a window

blwnsmoke

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
get it on record at the dealer, the police explorers have had a lot of problems and it can be carbon monoxide a deadly gas order lass if you smell exhause get ac on intake air and open a window
5th gen, not 6th gen.

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
I just talked with a friend who owns an early 2020 ST. He was getting the exhaust smell in the cabin when the vehicle was nearly new. Turned out to be a vapor leak coming from the top of one of the valve covers. It wasn't exhaust, it was engine blow by smell. He was able to duplicate the problem at the dealership and Ford fixed the issue for him, but it did take a month of sitting at their facility waiting for an engineer to come from Detroit to make that happen :(

rpmgolfs

Reaction score
City, State
OVERLAND PARK
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer Platinum
Thanks for your input. I have a second appointment at a different dealer next week. I'll mention what you all have been pointing. I'll let you what happens.