• Register Today It's free!

2020 Explorer exhaust smell

rpmgolfs

Reaction score
City, State
OVERLAND PARK
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer Platinum
I have a 2020 Platinum Explorer. I get a exhaust smell in the cabin while the car is stopped. Doesn't matter if there are other cars around or not. I can smell it while walking around the car, usually around the front area is where I get the smell. I took it in to Ford and they couldn't find an issue or smell anything. I'm thinking about taking it to another dealer and see what they say. Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When is this happening ? On cold startup ? If so, you're going to have to leave it overnight, regardless of the dealership you go to. Manifolds expand against the gaskets as the engine heats up. That could be the reason the tech can't find an issue. The other suspect is the gas source. I make it a point to fuel at high volume stations. Also, if the tanker is making a fuel drop, I go elsewhere. The pump filters are good but, not that good.

Been driving mine for over a year, no exhaust odor in the cabin.

TBill

This is exhaust smell not fuel correct?

Is this eco boost? Sorry forgot to ask yesterday...

the Platinum has the 3.0L V6 Ecoboost.

The exhaust fumes are dangerous, it needs to be addressed immediately.

the Platinum has the 3.0L V6 Ecoboost.
Yup! Sorry I looked right over that little bit! Could it possibly be a loose boot? On turbo piping? Could be manifold leak just think you would hear it, a tick or pop, being so new I would have to say something is absolutely off. Listen closely to it run for any exhaust leak type sound. Check all around for any loose boots or one possibly missing a clamp. Check that intake duct it on and tight. About all I can offer on that! Hope it gets fixed! Let us know if you find something.

I have a 2020 Platinum Explorer. I get a exhaust smell in the cabin while the car is stopped. Doesn't matter if there are other cars around or not. I can smell it while walking around the car, usually around the front area is where I get the smell. I took it in to Ford and they couldn't find an issue or smell anything. I'm thinking about taking it to another dealer and see what they say. Any ideas?
get it on record at the dealer, the police explorers have had a lot of problems and it can be carbon monoxide a deadly gas order lass if you smell exhause get ac on intake air and open a window

get it on record at the dealer, the police explorers have had a lot of problems and it can be carbon monoxide a deadly gas order lass if you smell exhause get ac on intake air and open a window
5th gen, not 6th gen.

I just talked with a friend who owns an early 2020 ST. He was getting the exhaust smell in the cabin when the vehicle was nearly new. Turned out to be a vapor leak coming from the top of one of the valve covers. It wasn't exhaust, it was engine blow by smell. He was able to duplicate the problem at the dealership and Ford fixed the issue for him, but it did take a month of sitting at their facility waiting for an engineer to come from Detroit to make that happen :(

Thanks for your input. I have a second appointment at a different dealer next week. I'll mention what you all have been pointing. I'll let you what happens.

Hey folks....new here....I purchased a 2020 Ford Explorer XLT new and since day one I have had exhaust problems; such as rotten egg smell (constantly), a burning smell, and now my vehicle is chugging. It has been in and out of the shop since November 2020 and the dealership and Ford is saying that there is a problem. Has this happened to anyone else? Suggestions?

that is specifically your catalytic converter, could be bad could be a new one just burning off. What type of fuel do you run? non ethanol or ethanol -- premium or regular?

that is specifically your catalytic converter, could be bad could be a new one just burning off. What type of fuel do you run? non ethanol or ethanol -- premium or regular?
I've had the vehicle since January 2020 and it has 14,000 miles. I use 87 regular fuel. I have used this fuel in all my Ford vehicles and haven't had an issue before.

the dealership is saying that the catalytic converter isn't bad because it isn't setting any codes off.

I've had the vehicle since January 2020 and it has 14,000 miles. I use 87 regular fuel. I have used this fuel in all my Ford vehicles and haven't had an issue before.

the dealership is saying that the catalytic converter isn't bad because it isn't setting any codes off.

You can run the fuel which you see best, if you have the 2.3 liter 300 HP turbo motor then I believe for best performance it recommends premium. Just so you know I run premium in all and every turbo vehicle I have owned. It has been debated and thrown around on every forum and my intention is to not run that debate.

If I was running 87 octane in it then I would run a premium tank through it once every 3 tanks or so in order to clean injectors especially on the direct injection motor. Buy premium fuel, turn it to sport mode then run the crap out of it for around 15-20 minutes. Burn that crap out of there and go about your business. Should be good.

The 2.3 liter HP motor is a high performance motor powering a mid sized SUV. Although it is detuned some it still wants to run and runs better when you occasionally blow the soot and crap out of it every so often.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey folks....new here....I purchased a 2020 Ford Explorer XLT new and since day one I have had exhaust problems; such as rotten egg smell (constantly), a burning smell, and now my vehicle is chugging. It has been in and out of the shop since November 2020 and the dealership and Ford is saying that there is a problem. Has this happened to anyone else? Suggestions?
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
An occasional sulphur type smell is not unusual and sometimes occurs after a hard acceleration but it should dissipate quickly. What you describe isn't normal and can be caused by a few things but usually the catalytic converter. The fact that it has now progressed to "chugging" would seem to suggest whatever it is, it's getting worse.
Rotten Egg Smell Coming from Car Vents
A rotten egg smell in your car often indicates a malfunctioning part in the fuel system. If the catalytic converter, fuel filters, or fuel pressure sensors are worn out or damaged, a sulfur gas can leak out and make its way into your car's cabin.

Peter

Back