2020 Explorer Hybrid - Anyone tow with one yet? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2020 Explorer Hybrid - Anyone tow with one yet?

Justin_adv

Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver, BC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Ford Explorer Hybrid
Has anyone towed with the 2020 Explorer Hybrid yet? Other than the videos below I don't know what to expect:

-
-

I ordered the hybrid without test driving (only the 2.3 was available). Just wondering how it will do with towing a 16' cargo trailer weighing 4-4,500lbs. Wind resistance is definitely a factor, my current Jeep Wrangler Unlimited handles it okay, but it struggles in the wind or on long hills.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you actually have the vehicle? Did you order the factory tow package?

Peter

Haven't received it yet, it's been pushed back many times. Currently has a build date of July 30th (ordered in February). And yes, got the factory tow package, I'm going to add the Redarc controller.

So I'm guessing it is the AWD and not the RWD?

Yes, it is the AWD model.

Thanks - I know it WILL tow it, I'm just wondering if anyone has experience towing with this drivetrain yet. I don't want to feel like I can't keep up with traffic while on the interstate or in the mountain passes. Based on the specifications versus my Jeep, it should be fine, especially with the 10 speed but I'm not 100% sure.

If anyone has any real-world experience I would like to hear them. Thanks.

Justin, I believe you are the first one with a Hybrid to inquire about towing, so you might be the 'go-to' guy. ;)

Peter

If no one replies back I'll definitely do a write up on it and some YouTube videos to show off the Explorer and Toy Hauler build.

If no one replies back I'll definitely do a write up on it and some YouTube videos to show off the Explorer and Toy Hauler build.
When trailer light harness is connected an Icon on dash lights up and it switches to towing mode. I towed about 10 miles to service my riding lawnmower, if I remember correctly the engine stayed on while stopped at a light. Other than the noisy trailer I didn't notice anything while driving. If towing was a concern I would go with something bigger if I was concerned about keeping up with traffic going up a hill with a load @ or close to it's towing limit. I towed for years with 2001 Expedition Eddie Bauer AWD 5.4 tow package 30 gallon gas tank ...to the Ozarks and I couldn't think of towing with an Explorer unless I had a death wish. Burned up ring and pion, both sides rear axle bearings and spilt a gear in trans in half. Along with two fuel pumps. I was the one passing everyone. I had a come to Jesus when my daughter said Dad the floor is hot ....from the exhaust burning 30 gallons of gas in a short time

Back