2020 Explorer PIU | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2020 Explorer PIU

So the redesign Explorer 2020 will only start the production in 2020? I as hoping it would start the production in mid 2019, be available in late summer, fall of next year/2019. I hope that Ford makes Explorer even closer looking to Land Rover. The closer the better.
Corrected my previous post to say the 2020 will likely begin production in early 2019. Must have confused myself with all the numbers.:D

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Corrected my previous post to say the 2020 will likely begin production in early 2019. Must have confused myself with all the numbers.:D

Peter

Plant shutdown in CAP is happening from around March to May for retooling. You won't see them till July/August IMO on the lots.

I would wait until 2023 to buy the new designed Explorers. That's what I did with the current Generation - bought the 2014 rather than 2011. Ford would work out the bugs first few years.

After having my 2011 bought back by Ford I could not agree more with you. But I don't think you have to wait for that long, the 2020 redesign will actually be out in 2019 so you could grab the 2021MY in 2020. After a year they will likely have most issues worked out. Especially since it won't be as drastic of an engineering change as what happened from 2010 to 2011.

After having my 2011 bought back by Ford I could not agree more with you. But I don't think you have to wait for that long, the 2020 redesign will actually be out in 2019 so you could grab the 2021MY in 2020. After a year they will likely have most issues worked out. Especially since it won't be as drastic of an engineering change as what happened from 2010 to 2011.

Switching from FWD to RWD seems like a pretty drastic change to me.

Switching from FWD to RWD seems like a pretty drastic change to me.

My understanding is its all programming.

That's how they are able to make the Sport more RWD than the other models.

I sat with the AWD engineer on the Explorer Police Team to watch how they do it. There was a lot of discussion about how much power would go to the front wheels on an AWD PIU because Law Enforcement cant have torque steer at all regardless of how minimal it is.

But you could be right.

No worse then the carbon monoxide coverage that hasn't affected sales.

I would like to think most have common sense when reading these crap reports.

Tell me, how does noticing the passenger-side of the front of an Explorer imploding like a tin can not fall under 'common sense'? In your experience, why is that test invalid?

Would think it'd be a simple fix, hopefully the 2020s can address some of the issues!

That test was introduced in 2012, the platform was retooled in 2011 with the design work beginning well before that. You can't re-engineer a car's structural design overnight--if you can figure out how to do that, the beancounters in Michigan would love to buy you a cup of coffee.

You WILL find this problem eliminated by 2020, rest assured.

Tell me, how does noticing the passenger-side of the front of an Explorer imploding like a tin can not fall under 'common sense'? In your experience, why is that test invalid?

Would think it'd be a simple fix, hopefully the 2020s can address some of the issues!

First, the majority of these accidents would be on the driver's side, not the passenger (oncoming traffic). Second, majority of vehicles driven on a day to day basis would result in a driver and not a passenger. Yes people buy larger SUVs to take their family from place A to place B but I'm willing to bet that more often then not their is no passenger. Third, what happens if you hit a couple degrees to the left or right, what happens if you decrease the speed or increase the speed? All you have to do is change one thing to get a different result.

So yes, I believe that although the test shows what could happen at THAT speed at THAT angle under THAT specific incident, it doesn't mean that anyone else will experience that occurrence.

The reality (don't care the manufacturer) is that all vehicles today are far safer now then 10 years ago and to make it personal and state that if you care about your family, look at other options is ridiculous. My Explorer is 7 years old, 129,000 miles and never 1 accident. So if I follow their recommendation, I should have looked at a different vehicle since I care about my family. Hogwash!!

That test was introduced in 2012, the platform was retooled in 2011 with the design work beginning well before that. You can't re-engineer a car's structural design overnight--if you can figure out how to do that, the beancounters in Michigan would love to buy you a cup of coffee.

You WILL find this problem eliminated by 2020, rest assured.

Interesting, thought they had reinforced the front driver's side on this and other models (Escape or Edge or something) mid-cycle to improve test ratings. If they had managed that insurmountable feat with other models, thought it may be possible in the last decade or so. Guess not!

Hope so! It's still our favorite, and we've test driven everythinngggggg.

First, the majority of these accidents would be on the driver's side, not the passenger (oncoming traffic). Second, majority of vehicles driven on a day to day basis would result in a driver and not a passenger. Yes people buy larger SUVs to take their family from place A to place B but I'm willing to bet that more often then not their is no passenger. Third, what happens if you hit a couple degrees to the left or right, what happens if you decrease the speed or increase the speed? All you have to do is change one thing to get a different result.

So yes, I believe that although the test shows what could happen at THAT speed at THAT angle under THAT specific incident, it doesn't mean that anyone else will experience that occurrence.

The reality (don't care the manufacturer) is that all vehicles today are far safer now then 10 years ago and to make it personal and state that if you care about your family, look at other options is ridiculous. My Explorer is 7 years old, 129,000 miles and never 1 accident. So if I follow their recommendation, I should have looked at a different vehicle since I care about my family. Hogwash!!

Really? Stopped traffic on a freeway in lanes to your right, utility poles/trees/etc. to right hand side of a road? <<those are scenarios I've responded to and personally seen instances like this play out on the passenger side. Thankfully no fatalities in these specific examples, but believe me - these pt's were fubar from the waste down.
*ETA I was on the scene of a fatality yesterday involving an impact to the right. A truck was merging off of right shoulder onto hwy at ~5mph at time of impact. Driver in the far right lane wasn't paying attention and nailed the rear of the trailer at 70mph or so. pt had no chance, DRT (Dead Right There).

Speed and angle varies and it may improve. It may also get drastically worse.

I don't think it's ridiculous at all. Myself, and other first responders on this board, get called by people who thought 'it would never happen to them'. I'm glad you've been lucky, but that's all it is. Your vehicle is no more or less safe because you haven't wrecked it in 129,000 miles.

So for me to say that given what I've seen, I'd rather choose a better option (because many exist) isn't ridiculous at all. But again, I hope they resolve this with the 2020 model.

I don't think this one got revised mid cycle for structure, but I'll stand to be corrected. Now, the Escape is another story--and bear in mind, the Escape was also at a different point in its product life cycle and the fix even then was really a bandaid rather than a cure. Both cars need significant engineering changes to be able to really succeed at this test.

My understanding is its all programming.

That's how they are able to make the Sport more RWD than the other models.

I sat with the AWD engineer on the Explorer Police Team to watch how they do it. There was a lot of discussion about how much power would go to the front wheels on an AWD PIU because Law Enforcement cant have torque steer at all regardless of how minimal it is.

But you could be right.

I thought they were changing the orientation of the engine and transmission as well. Programming change would work on AWD vehicles, but on FWD only...

Thanks to a member on a different forum, here are the 2020 drivetrains..

The 3.0 Nano EcoBoost available for Police, ST, Platinum

The 3.0 Nano EcoBoost PHEV is in the Limited, ST, and Platinum overseas, no US availability indicated...hmmmm....watch this space.

The 2.3 EcoBoost in Base, XLT, and Limi

I thought they were changing the orientation of the engine and transmission as well. Programming change would work on AWD vehicles, but on FWD only...

They are changing because it will be rwd. The awd will be different t as well as it will have a full disconnect system and engage only when needed just like the f150 awd system.

What will be interesting to see is this new Dodge Durango Pursuit, will it do well at MSP and LASD Car Testing?.....will agencies that were Ford PIU customers jump ship because of the PIU exhaust issues and buy Durangos?

I very nearly bought a Special Service Durango instead of my PIU. As much as I liked it, I couldn't justify nearly $8,000 extra.

I very nearly bought a Special Service Durango instead of my PIU. As much as I liked it, I couldn't justify nearly $8,000 extra.

That's interesting because traditionally Dodge Fleet has undercut Ford on both the PIU and PIS in order to steal some clients and get market share where Ford dominates.

The Dodge Charger Pursuit is optioned out more for a comparably priced Police Interceptor Sedan that's how Dodge got into so many Agencies.

Your PIU is Pursuit Rated and the Special Service Durango is not so that should account for something unless its irrelevant for your use.

That's interesting because traditionally Dodge Fleet has undercut Ford on both the PIU and PIS in order to steal some clients and get market share where Ford dominates.

The Dodge Charger Pursuit is optioned out more for a comparably priced Police Interceptor Sedan that's how Dodge got into so many Agencies.

Your PIU is Pursuit Rated and the Special Service Durango is not so that should account for something unless its irrelevant for your use.

They probably do indeed undercut Ford with fleet buyers, but for me, as a retail customer, an SS Durango AWD with a Hemi would have been almost $39,000. Part of the issue (I think) was that at the time I was shopping, there were exactly 2 (TWO) SS Hemi AWD Durangos available on all of Autotrader and the dealer seemed only too aware of that fact since they had both of them.

The pursuit-rated thing makes zero difference to me, but I'll gladly take the money savings anyway.:)

I really hope the 2020 Explorer hybrids will be fast. Hoping they will be plug in electric as it would be really useful for workplaces that have free charging and it would save so much on electricity costs. After getting a Tesla Model S and feeling the instant torque electric motors provide, hoping it would be the same affect with the Explorer, especially since the 2020 PIU with the hybrid is apparently faster 0 - 60 than the current generation.

I really hope the 2020 Explorer hybrids will be fast. Hoping they will be plug in electric as it would be really useful for workplaces that have free charging and it would save so much on electricity costs. After getting a Tesla Model S and feeling the instant torque electric motors provide, hoping it would be the same affect with the Explorer, especially since the 2020 PIU with the hybrid is apparently faster 0 - 60 than the current generation.

My sources tell me you won't be disappointed!

I really hope the 2020 Explorer hybrids will be fast. Hoping they will be plug in electric as it would be really useful for workplaces that have free charging and it would save so much on electricity costs.
How long do you think it will be "free" if more and more people start buying them? I know that in my area there have already been disputes in some condo/apartment complexes with some owners using various outlets to charge their vehicles.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How long do you think it will be "free" if more and more people start buying them? I know that in my area there have already been disputes in some condo/apartment complexes with some owners using various outlets to charge their vehicles.

Peter

I thought in Canada everything was free...

Back