2020 Explorer Receives IIHS Top Ssafety Pick Award | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2020 Explorer Receives IIHS Top Ssafety Pick Award

peterk9

Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Russell, Ontario (Ottawa area)
Year, Model & Trim Level
2023 Aviator Reserve 201A
Callsign
VE3
For all the problems owners are experiencing with the new Explorer, there is a positive note.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For all the problems owners are experiencing with the new Explorer, there is a positive note.

Peter
Unless yours was manufactured prior to May of 2020 where this rating doesn't apply.

Perhaps they only began testing on that date and didn't test those prior to it. I haven't read or heard of any structural changes made to the Explorer since the began production. Mid-cycle changes are usually documented.

Peter

Perhaps they only began testing on that date and didn't test those prior to it. I haven't read or heard of any structural changes made to the Explorer since the began production. Mid-cycle changes are usually documented.

Peter
The initial IIHS testing showed a chance of injury to the drivers lower legs. Ford made a change to the subframe starting in June and the testing results you posted were for that change.

Seeing how the Explorer is so new, I would have liked it if Ford replaced the front subframe on all 2020 Explorers. They obviously don't have to, but it would have been nice.

Back