How to: - 2020 Explorer ST - Performance Tires/Wheels Sizing Guide | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: 2020 Explorer ST - Performance Tires/Wheels Sizing Guide

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
If you want perfect fit you have to make a compromise somewhere. Either 2 different offsets or a 1/4” spacer out back. The rear wheels are right at 1/4” further in than the front...as the OP’s pics show. An 11” wheel is asking a lot and I think your +35 offset is gonna create more clearance issues up front. I’ll run the numbers after I make this post. BC Forged is making my wheels now...and I like the same stance as the OP...dead flush. Since I don’t want any issues as I’ll be dropping mine I went with a 22x10.5 +30 and will run a 305/35. A 315/35 will also fit well...I may swap later if I need to push the tire out a bit. I decided to run the same offset on all 4 corners to make it easier to rotate the tires but I have some 1/4” billet spacers to correct the rear.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:

Peter

If you want perfect fit you have to make a compromise somewhere. Either 2 different offsets or a 1/4” spacer out back. The rear wheels are right at 1/4” further in than the front...as the OP’s pics show. An 11” wheel is asking a lot and I think your +35 offset is gonna create more clearance issues up front. I’ll run the numbers after I make this post. BC Forged is making my wheels now...and I like the same stance as the OP...dead flush. Since I don’t want any issues as I’ll be dropping mine I went with a 22x10.5 +30 and will run a 305/35. A 315/35 will also fit well...I may swap later if I need to push the tire out a bit. I decided to run the same offset on all 4 corners to make it easier to rotate the tires but I have some 1/4” billet spacers to correct the rear.

Go with the 315s on a +35mm offset and I think you’ll be happy with the results, even with a slight suspension drop.

I like your point on using spacers for the rear. Your right about the rear stance being perfect but the front protruding a bit more than intended. Spacers would allow keeping all four wheels the same while keeping the stance in the back ideal.

Good luck with your setup. Let me know how it goes!

Go with the 315s on a +35mm offset and I think you’ll be happy with the results, even with a slight suspension drop.

I like your point on using spacers for the rear. Your right about the rear stance being perfect but the front protruding a bit more than intended. Spacers would allow keeping all four wheels the same while keeping the stance in the back ideal.

Good luck with your setup. Let me know how it goes!
+35 is the wrong offset for what I want to accomplish. +30 is correct for a flush 10.5” wheel. +35 will be right on the edge of clearance issues up front with an 11” wheel.

Ah, I didn’t account that you were going with 10.5” width. Yeah that changes the offset math a bit.

My 22 inch Dub Ballers came in today so had the tire shop put them on. Now can finally sell those stock pirellis and get back some of the cost of these.

Attachments

• IMG_1165.jpg
    IMG_1165.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 249
  • IMG_1163.jpg
    IMG_1163.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 252
  • 715ABE7F-6DA6-4A40-87A7-D770875B05A5.jpeg
    715ABE7F-6DA6-4A40-87A7-D770875B05A5.jpeg
    106.1 KB · Views: 273

Looks good. Would like to see some front/rear angle shots and a detail of the tire/putter wheel well edge alignment.

I will do as soon as the rain stops. I did not get home from the wheel shop until 730 last night and by the time I got done with bbqing supper it was almost dark.

just waiting at dealer to get oil changed and finally drop off stock wheels in winter tires. Not sure if can sneak some indoor photos there.....

if not, rain should stop tomorrow.😀
ps what is the Tire/putter wheel well edge alignment?

I will do as soon as the rain stops. I did not get home from the wheel shop until 730 last night and by the time I got done with bbqing supper it was almost dark.

just waiting at dealer to get oil changed and finally drop off stock wheels in winter tires. Not sure if can sneak some indoor photos there.....

if not, rain should stop tomorrow.😀
Send some rain our way. Hot dry and sunny all week, Grass is turning brown. :)

Peter

Typo, should have been tire/outer. Meaning a photo showing how much the tires protrude or are tucked in the wheel wells.

Send some rain our way. Hot dry and sunny all week, Grass is turning brown. :)

Peter
Would love to. Have barely had to use my irrigation system at all this year, and starting to get mushrooms on lawn. Rain Rain go away.....down East!

Ok so it quit raining long enough for me to snap some pics. Still pretty gloomy out. I took a look at your original pics and tried to replicate them.

Update - these photos were too low res so deleted, and tried again below...

Going to put the original tires up for sale. The place where I bought the 22s from said he would list the 275-45-21 Pirelli Scorpions for $1700+GST new, so $1785 Cdn (say $1300US). Since they have less than 200km on them (say 120 miles), I think I am going to list them on kijiji for $1300 (around $950US). Does that seem reasonable?

A closer shot. It won’t let me post high res Pics - gets to 95% then gacks. Maybe my kids can help me lol
DC29E1F4-B8B7-41E4-9E9C-4BB9A8018A96.jpeg

Going to put the original tires up for sale. The place where I bought the 22s from said he would list the 275-45-21 Pirelli Scorpions for $1700+GST new, so $1785 Cdn (say $1300US). Since they have less than 200km on them (say 120 miles), I think I am going to list them on kijiji for $1300 (around $950US). Does that seem reasonable?

Just for the tires? They’re less than a grand a set down here...don’t see anyone paying new prices for used tires.

Order you some 1.37” long lug nuts. Those 2” are WAY too long.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just for the tires? They’re less than a grand a set down here...don’t see anyone paying new prices for used tires.
Good to know, thanks for the intel. Maybe my tire and wheel guy was steering me wrong with what he would sell them for new. Or it’s just much cheaper to buy tires in the US.

Update. No it looks like 1300US for a set of 4 before taxes on tire rack, so my dealer was legit with his new pricing.

D8E587A8-CCF1-4F9E-A3B2-DBB2F2DC9652.png

Back