2020 Explorer Starting Problems | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2020 Explorer Starting Problems

As a Ford technician I can tell you things like this are super frustrating for us also!! If I can't duplicate the concern myself there is little chance of me fixing it and working as a "flat rate" technician I don't get paid unless I can fix the problem so over the years I've lost a lot of $$ dealing with concerns like the mentioned and yes it gets worse as vehicles get more complicated!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum sailingselene. :wave:
Your thread was merged with this one. It doesn't matter if the thread's issue wasn't resolved. As soon as you add your post to it, the thread moves back to the top of the page for all to see. Sometimes the issue is resolved but the member doesn't report back/update the post. Unfortunately, it happens all to often. Good luck and please keep us in the loop. Thank you.

Peter

I had it happen twice before my update but once they did my update I only experienced the problem on 1 other occasion. I let it set for an hour and it started. I know how irritating this is and I would love to know if you ever reach a plausible reason for this problem. I just crossed 21,000 miles and I hope I never experience it again. My dealer never produced a TSB even though I requested a copy on several occasions.
Update:

My ST was just in the shop for over a month. At first they could not reproduce the problem, which really is the reason why this isn't fixed yet. The issue is that it is so random, but for me at least it is reproducible at least once every couple of weeks. So when I brought it in I convinced them to keep it a while, they replace the ignition switch, they changed the oil and then I convinced them to do the TSB 49128 ( Explorer not starting) - Immediately afterwards they were able to reproduce the problem and the vehicle did not start. Because of this they were able to open an official case with Ford support - this is a win for us because we have it official now. My impression is they were able to get some logs from the car and upload them to ford, and ford is now digging into the issue. My service advisor tells me ford support can be very slow and it's been 2 weeks now since they've heard from them - hopefully they are simply reading the logs or trying to reproduce or pin the problem down (As a cloud software engineer, this is my wheelhouse). I was able to pick up the car yesterday while we wait for ford to reply, they case and tickets are still open, I just have the car temporarily. We let them have the car for over a month because my wife and I both WFH lately and we have another car so it's not a problem to go without this one for a while.

I have a new Explorer Limited which randomly will not start. This is the same problem posted in this forum under "2020 ST Starting Problem". Since this thread was never resolved, I thought I should ask the question again. My vehicle now has 4,000 miles.
I have the same problem as described, where randomly it will not start. I press the brake and push the start button and the lights flash but nothing related to starting happens. On my first dealer service call they thought the engine control software was causing the problem, so the reinstalled the latest engine control software. This did not solve the problem as a few weeks later the engine would not start again. The only thing that seems consistent with this problem is that the engine will start after being left alone for about an hour. (Time it takes for a tow truck to arrive). On my second dealer service call they told me there was nothing additional they could do to resolve the problem. They checked for service bulletins on the problem and found nothing. They suggested I call Ford Customer Service.
Ford Customer Service told me there was nothing they could do until the problem was identified and repaired. Meaning I would have to leave the vehicle at the dealer for at least a month and then they probably would not identify the problem. However, Ford Customer Service is leaving the case open for further review.

Does anyone know of the source of this starting problem? Is there a Service Bulletin on this subject? Repair suggestion? I just can not have an unreliable vehicle and need to find a solution. Based on the YouTube videos' it appears to be a fairly common problem, surely someone out there has fixed the problem.
Thank you,
Please see my previous reply - you will see I got them to open an official case. I am under the impression that it may have something to do with the BCM or similar and a reset of the BCM can cause the problem right away, so if you get them to apply TSB 49128 it may exhibit the problem immediately afterwards - if this happens please reply immediately so I can let my service manager/tech know as we need a way to reliably reproduce the problem! Anyway, it's not the end of the world if it won't start by button because remember the remote start can get it started!

Please see my previous reply - you will see I got them to open an official case. I am under the impression that it may have something to do with the BCM or similar and a reset of the BCM can cause the problem right away, so if you get them to apply TSB 49128 it may exhibit the problem immediately afterwards - if this happens please reply immediately so I can let my service manager/tech know as we need a way to reliably reproduce the problem! Anyway, it's not the end of the world if it won't start by button because remember the remote start can get it started!

Any updates on your case?

I own a Explorer ST 2020 since august 2020. I am almost 6000km done so far with it. Last weekend i had an issue preventing the car from starting. I had to have the car towed to the dealer because i was unable to have it start at all.

Monday morning i spoke with them and they said the car started like a charm and they can't reproduce the problem. I provided them with the video linked above but so far no luck.

Anyone can help me ( help them ) pinpoint the isssue ?

Looks like you just activated Accessory Mode. Have you tried holding the Start/Stop button a little longer? If there were no trouble codes and they were able to start it, then it would be difficult to find the problem.

Peter

Looks like you just activated Accessory Mode. Have you tried holding the Start/Stop button a little longer? If there were no trouble codes and they were able to start it, then it would be difficult to find the problem.

Peter

You can hear the engine cranking and cranking with no start, that wouldn't happen in Accessory Mode. It seems more like what happens when PATS is activated.

I own a Explorer ST 2020 since august 2020. I am almost 6000km done so far with it. Last weekend i had an issue preventing the car from starting. I had to have the car towed to the dealer because i was unable to have it start at all.

Monday morning i spoke with them and they said the car started like a charm and they can't reproduce the problem. I provided them with the video linked above but so far no luck.

Wow, that might kill the starter motor as well if this keeps happening.

Red colored start button looks nice. Is that some kind of mod? or from factory?

You can hear the engine cranking and cranking with no start, that wouldn't happen in Accessory Mode. It seems more like what happens when PATS is activated.
Had to turn the volume up. ;)

Had to turn the volume up. ;)
That is exactly how mine sounded when it was towed and had the fuel pump replaced 2 months ago at 10,800 miles. Once or twice it sounded like it was gonna start and died again.

I've got the same issue and 2020 Ford Explorer Limited is currently at the Dealership. Does anyone know if this has to do with the Anti Theft system? Does everyone having this issue use both keys regularly? Thoughts?

Any further issues with the starting?

Peter

I've got the same issue and 2020 Ford Explorer Limited is currently at the Dealership. Does anyone know if this has to do with the Anti Theft system? Does everyone having this issue use both keys regularly? Thoughts?
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
So far the only posted resolution seems to have been a replaced fuel pump. The use of both keys shouldn't have any effect on this in my opinion.
As the only driver of my vehicles (past and present), I only use the same key. The second one is kept in a drawer.

Peter

Hey everyone,

So I've had my 2021 ST for the grand total of 4 weeks, and unfortunately it's already in the dealership for repairs. I'll give you a bit of a back story, apologies for the lengthy post.

So on Saturday I was about half an hour from home and stopped at a gas station to use the restroom. I was inside for no longer than 5 minutes. Went to remote start it as I was walking up to it and realized it didn't work. That's strange, but whatever. Got in the driver's seat and attempted to start, no success. Everything on the dash was working, headlights worked, so it seemed to have battery power. But it would not start at all. I contacted Ford Roadside Assistance who sent someone out within 45 minutes, they attempted to jump start and it fired up first time. I drove the half hour or so home and figured I'd get the battery looked at on Monday at the Dealership so booked an appointment online.

So Sunday approaches, and I'm at yet another gas station, this time filling up with gas. Again, no more than 5 minutes after switching off the engine, go to start, no luck. I was really close to home at this point so I walked home and grabbed my wife's car and some jumper cables. Again, successfully jumped first time.

Monday rolls around and I know at this point it definitely needs to be looked at, I go to leave my house to take the Explorer to my dealership. Won't start again, which I half expected. Go to jump start, this time that's not working at all. I call Ford Roadside Assistance who come out within the hour, he tries to jump it, no joy. So he tows it to the dealership Monday afternoon and it's been there ever since.

Today i hear from the dealership and they don't sound too confident in finding the issue, his exact words were "we have no clue what the issue is at this stage, we've been looking at it all day and can't figure it out"

Being the inquisitive person that I am, I start doing research on this issue. There are a bunch of 2020 Explorer owners on different forums and on YouTube with reports of the same issue, seemingly with no fix. The vast majority end up with their vehicle stuck with Ford for weeks / months and eventually have a buyback claim processed. I am hoping I don't have to go down that route as I really am enjoying this vehicle.

Browsing through the Technical Service Bulletins for the Explorer, there was one that stuck out for me; SSM 49329 - Intermittent No Crank, Remote Start Inoperative, Shift System Fault Message And/Or Illuminated Wrench Light With DTC P07E4, B135C And/Or U0103. It specifically notes for some 2020/21 Explorer models that there is an intermittent no crank, inoperative remote start issue. Suspected cause is a loose ground wire, and to check the G210 and G214 ground wires. I'm praying that's all it is, and I'll call the dealership tomorrow to mention this Service Bulletin.

Hey everyone,

So I've had my 2021 ST for the grand total of 4 weeks, and unfortunately it's already in the dealership for repairs. I'll give you a bit of a back story, apologies for the lengthy post.

So on Saturday I was about half an hour from home and stopped at a gas station to use the restroom. I was inside for no longer than 5 minutes. Went to remote start it as I was walking up to it and realized it didn't work. That's strange, but whatever. Got in the driver's seat and attempted to start, no success. Everything on the dash was working, headlights worked, so it seemed to have battery power. But it would not start at all. I contacted Ford Roadside Assistance who sent someone out within 45 minutes, they attempted to jump start and it fired up first time. I drove the half hour or so home and figured I'd get the battery looked at on Monday at the Dealership so booked an appointment online.

So Sunday approaches, and I'm at yet another gas station, this time filling up with gas. Again, no more than 5 minutes after switching off the engine, go to start, no luck. I was really close to home at this point so I walked home and grabbed my wife's car and some jumper cables. Again, successfully jumped first time.

Monday rolls around and I know at this point it definitely needs to be looked at, I go to leave my house to take the Explorer to my dealership. Won't start again, which I half expected. Go to jump start, this time that's not working at all. I call Ford Roadside Assistance who come out within the hour, he tries to jump it, no joy. So he tows it to the dealership Monday afternoon and it's been there ever since.

Today i hear from the dealership and they don't sound too confident in finding the issue, his exact words were "we have no clue what the issue is at this stage, we've been looking at it all day and can't figure it out"

Being the inquisitive person that I am, I start doing research on this issue. There are a bunch of 2020 Explorer owners on different forums and on YouTube with reports of the same issue, seemingly with no fix. The vast majority end up with their vehicle stuck with Ford for weeks / months and eventually have a buyback claim processed. I am hoping I don't have to go down that route as I really am enjoying this vehicle.

Browsing through the Technical Service Bulletins for the Explorer, there was one that stuck out for me; SSM 49329 - Intermittent No Crank, Remote Start Inoperative, Shift System Fault Message And/Or Illuminated Wrench Light With DTC P07E4, B135C And/Or U0103. It specifically notes for some 2020/21 Explorer models that there is an intermittent no crank, inoperative remote start issue. Suspected cause is a loose ground wire, and to check the G210 and G214 ground wires. I'm praying that's all it is, and I'll call the dealership tomorrow to mention this Service Bulletin.
Here's a little more info on that SSM. Good luck with it.

SSM 49329 - 2020-2021 Explorer/Aviator- Intermittent No Crank,
Remote Start Inoperative, Shift System Fault Message And/Or
Illuminated Wrench Light With DTC P07E4, B135C And/Or U0103
Some 2020-2021 Aviator and Explorer vehicles may experience an intermittent no
crank, inoperative remote start, and/or an illuminated wrench light with diagnostic
trouble codes (DTCs) P07E4, B135C and/or U0103. This may be due to a loose
ground G210 and/or G214. Check grounds G210 and G214, refer to the Wiring
Diagramfor location information. If the concern persists, or the grounds are found to
be secure, refer to the Workshop Manual and applicable sections of the Powertrain
Controls/Emissions Diagnosis (PC/ED) Manual for normal diagnostics.
APPLICABLE VEHICLES
2020 CAR: TU U611A AVIATOR
2020 CAR: TZ U625A EXPLORER
2021 CAR: TV U611N AVIATOR
2021 CAR: TW U625N EXPLORER
Page 1 of 1

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I heard back from my dealership today. They suspect it is a faulty Shift Assembly Module, which is causing the vehicle to think it's not in Park, hence why it's not starting. They've overnighted the replacement module and will fit tomorrow. I'm doubtful this will be the fix, but we shall see!

Back