• Register Today It's free!

2020 Explorer Transmission

Kevin Berube

Reaction score
City, State
Nh
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 explorer xlt
I have had my 2020 explorer xlt one week the transmission bucks or jolts from 2nd gear to 1st and slightly from 1st to 2nd. Does anyone else have this problem? This is my first ford not enjoying it had been a Jeep guy for 20 years.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes. I thought it was just mine, but I just had a loaner 2020 Limited from the dealer for the last week, and it was basically the same. Not quite as bad as mine, but the same. It is not consistent. I think it is how these 10 speed transmissions are. My brother has a 2019 F-150 and has the same experience.

I don't know if the Aviator uses the same 10 speed transmission but I have not noticed any issue as described above.

Peter

The Jeep's have this same issue on some vehicles. FCA claims it's normal, so Ford may claim the same.

Most severe before the engine warms up. I like having 10 speeds but they need to do something about the shift from 2nd and 3rd.

Most severe before the engine warms up. I like having 10 speeds but they need to do something about the shift from 2nd and 3rd.

definitely much worse when not warmed up. shifts from 1-2 and even 2-3 are abnormally long and car lurches uncomfortably.

Has anyone brought this to ford services attention
yup and they said that they have had a number of reports of this and they are aware of it. They said the noticed it but can't correct it but with the amount of reports there will be something coming in the future to resolve it (software update for shift pattern/etc)

yup and they said that they have had a number of reports of this and they are aware of it. They said the noticed it but can't correct it but with the amount of reports there will be something coming in the future to resolve it (software update for shift pattern/etc)

Glad to hear this type of comment. I should have reported mine last week when it was in at the dealer. But I figured it was just a characteristic of the transmission. Especially after driving multiple examples. I may still report mine just to have a record on file.

I'd like to see a poll on this because the 2 I have driven both shifted perfect. The other st forum has no complaints of this either. Also, is this happening in a specific drive mode or?
I often wonder about bionic hearing and hyper sensitivity of users of mechanical machinery moving down a road. As a mechanic of over 35 years, if I wanted I could make a complaint of some sort on any machine mfgd by anyone. Just saying.

I really think a 10 speed transmission is a bit much. Especially up and down the hills here in WV.

I really think a 10 speed transmission is a bit much. Especially up and down the hills here in WV.

You should drive one before you knock it. I drive 60 miles of 2 lane canyon mountain road ranging from 4,000’ to 1,200’ ele daily, I find the 10 speed trans to work very well, it does not hunt, nor make unnecessary shifts. Down hill it also works well, I just tap the paddles down a few gears and it holds the gear and speed even when in automatic. It just works very well, then when in manual mode with the paddles it’s ridiculously fun in the very tight stuff in the 15-45mph range.

This is when matted to the twin turbo 3l on my ST, can’t comment on how well they work on other versions, but to just say 10 speeds is overkill or a possible shortcoming on hills would be Ill-informed.

Bringing my xlt in tomorrow going from 2nd to 3rd the thing holds and bucks into 3rd

I found that the transmission does this in Sport mode. Much better body control but the throttle response isn't good. I'm going to try and see, once mine is delivered, if I can some how change the programming of sport to only address the chassis control and leave the throttle as normal.

I found that the transmission does this in Sport mode. Much better body control but the throttle response isn't good. I'm going to try and see, once mine is delivered, if I can some how change the programming of sport to only address the chassis control and leave the throttle as normal.

Sport mode does not change anything with the chassis or suspension. All it does is change shift points (upshifts and dow shifts) with the trans.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I can only speak about 2020 but sport mode absolutely changes the suspension. Noticeably.

Back