2020 Explorer | Page 35 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2020 Explorer

The thing is.. if one is going to say the XLT is $50k (which they are talking MSRP, not what one pays), then someone who actually knows what they are talking about will say, why not spend $52-$53k on a base ST with far more options (stickers at $56k).

They are playing with numbers pure and simple. I just don't like how they spin things. Especially one of CR's 1st comments saying the engine and trans pairs together really well.. but then says the engine is loud and there are harsh shifts between multiple gears. They are contradicting themselves...

I personally like TFLtruck's reviews. I think they are very fair and their tests are done exactly the same between models. I don't see any type of bias between them and manufacturers either.
Yeah that was definitely a subjective comment regarding the power train. I do think you can like how it performs but not how it sounds, there's nothing wrong with that other than perhaps it's subjective of course. As far as price using MSRP isn't always true apples to apples but at least it's consistent.
It's great that something like TFLtruck is out there but they really focus on a particular market segment, not everything on four wheels. They'll never compare the Explorer to other 3 row SUVs that most people will cross shop, at least glancing at their video history I feel like that's safe to say. Also is there anything they don't like or are critical of? Their videos might be super useful to make your own decisions without pointing out flaws, necessarily.
Again I want to reiterate that while some criticisms are valid I don't think they are by and large mistakes by Ford but rather choices to maintain their brand identity and loyalty. Sure, maybe some other SUVs handle better than the Explorer, and feel smaller, but in this segment those attributes really aren't top-of-list to most buyers. The Explorer was by far the largest-feeling SUV I drove; that wasn't necessarily an attribute I wanted... but I feel like it's advantageous some times and disadvantageous at other times. I still feel like it handles and drives better than many of the smaller SUVs I drove, but that's for my driving conditions, might be different for others.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Way too high and i bet it rides pretty rough too

Thank you, I will check mine when my wife gets home and adjust.12 psi more is a hell of a lot extra in there and would obviously be a big cause of the rough/harsh ride.

Just check the tires pressures on the FordPass app :)

Image-1.jpg

Mine were in the mid 40's off the lot, set them to 33 cold and its way better. I don't find the ride in mine harsh at all, but I like the ride a bit more on the firm side.

Just check the tires pressures on the FordPass app :)

View attachment 172831

Mine were in the mid 40's off the lot, set them to 33 cold and its way better. I don't find the ride in mine harsh at all, but I like the ride a bit more on the firm side.

Well I knew what it was already but still confirmed cold..

Screenshot_20190815-165828_FordPass.jpg

Holy crap! Never paid attention the tire pressure.
Been parked for like 30min waiting to pickup daughter from school.

ST, too high?

View attachment 172829
Car has to sit about 3 hours to get a “cold” reading. And putting even one mile on a “cold” tire will give you closer to a “hot” pressure.

But those hot pressures are too high so check ‘em once they cool off.

Mine set to 33 cold at 85 deg F, climb to 35 to 36 in the sun and 95 deg F. Driving I will see 38-39.

So took a bit of a road trip the past couple of days and kicked my miles past 1k. A new feature I hadn’t noticed before was that when engaging Siri or utilizing hands-free phone calls, not only does the volume for music drop (pretty standard) but the fan speed drops too (this was a surprise).

I’m coming from an 11 explorer so if this isn’t a big deal to anyone, you’ll understand my surprise.

So took a bit of a road trip the past couple of days and kicked my miles past 1k. A new feature I hadn’t noticed before was that when engaging Siri or utilizing hands-free phone calls, not only does the volume for music drop (pretty standard) but the fan speed drops too (this was a surprise).

I’m coming from an 11 explorer so if this isn’t a big deal to anyone, you’ll understand my surprise.
That became standard on the 5th gens, mine does that too (17 Base). It is a pretty neat feature.

Yep, the climate fan pull down rolled out a couple model years back across the fleet for voice sessions and phone calls. Some vehicles had/have a situation where panel vents could be aimed directly at the mic (e.g. Fusion/MKZ/MKX) which would kill performance for voice sessions and harm call quality.

The thing is.. if one is going to say the XLT is $50k (which they are talking MSRP, not what one pays), then someone who actually knows what they are talking about will say, why not spend $52-$53k on a base ST with far more options (stickers at $56k).

They are playing with numbers pure and simple. I just don't like how they spin things. Especially one of CR's 1st comments saying the engine and trans pairs together really well.. but then says the engine is loud and there are harsh shifts between multiple gears. They are contradicting themselves...

I personally like TFLtruck's reviews. I think they are very fair and their tests are done exactly the same between models. I don't see any type of bias between them and manufacturers either.

unfortunately the Explorer is not the market leader anymore...the Jeep Grand Cherokee and Toyota Highlander are ahead of the Explorer now...

6D99C96B-B271-498C-A931-78B77C91AB1E.png

unfortunately the Explorer is not the market leader anymore...the Jeep Grand Cherokee and Toyota Highlander are ahead of the Explorer now...

View attachment 172916

Are you really trying to compare an all new redesign model changeover quarter with the competition who didn't?

Anytime you have a changeover because of a brand new from the ground up design (I don't care what manufacturer you are talking about), you are going to see sales slip. Just look at this forum for all the members waiting for their 2020s to arrive. CAP was closed for almost 2 months from mid March till beginning of May. So essentially no Explorers were built from Mid March till Mid June (it was until Mid June before ok to buy was given) and then you add in all the shipping delays.

YTD Grand Cherokee through June 123,272
YTD Highlander through June 111,183
YTD Explorer through June 88,680

You will not get a good representation of what's going on across the competition until we hit 4th quarter with normal deliveries happening. Good try though trying to spin it in a way that it actually isn't with your 1st post.

Are you really trying to compare an all new redesign model changeover quarter with the competition who didn't?

Anytime you have a changeover because of a brand new from the ground up design (I don't care what manufacturer you are talking about), you are going to see sales slip. Just look at this forum for all the members waiting for their 2020s to arrive. CAP was closed for almost 2 months from mid March till beginning of May. So essentially no Explorers were built from Mid March till Mid June (it was until Mid June before ok to buy was given) and then you add in all the shipping delays.

YTD Grand Cherokee through June 123,272
YTD Highlander through June 111,183
YTD Explorer through June 88,680

You will not get a good representation of what's going on across the competition until we hit 4th quarter with normal deliveries happening. Good try though trying to spin it in a way that it actually isn't with your 1st post.

hey I am just using the hard numbers....while your explanation makes sense, it neglects the fact that the Highlander is in the exact same spot as the Explorer is...

Toyota stopped making the current gen and is ramping up to start producing the new generation, 2020 in the fall, when the first units will start hitting the dealers...

^^ Welcome to the Forum.:wave:

Peter

hey I am just using the hard numbers....while your explanation makes sense, it neglects the fact that the Highlander is in the exact same spot as the Explorer is...

Toyota stopped making the current gen and is ramping up to start producing the new generation, 2020 in the fall, when the first units will start hitting the dealers...

That's incorrect. 2019 Highlander production could still be ordered up till 8/12 and usually production from order date is 6-8 weeks so 19 production on the assembly line should be going till end of Sept or early Oct.

2020 Model year orders are accepted beginning Sept 1st and it would launch till Dec 2019. Hybrid models won't release till Feb 2020.

So it isn't the same thing and you can't compare the two. You will see the same type of results come end of 2019 when Highlander changeover happens and I'll say the same thing then too, you can't compare the lower Highlander sales vs the increased Explorer sales.

It works both ways but in no way would I ever say when all new models come out that you can compare sales numbers and say 1 or the other is the market leader. It does not speak for true demand of a vehicle and no manufacturer should adjust their pricing because of it (increase rebates to grab sales).

When does Ford count it as a sale, re those numbers? Upon dealer order, shipment from factory, reception at dealer, etc? They surely built but haven't shipped many, obviously, in 2ndqtr 2019...

When does Ford count it as a sale, re those numbers? Upon dealer order, shipment from factory, reception at dealer, etc? They surely built but haven't shipped many, obviously, in 2ndqtr 2019...

Can't count it as a sale until you take delivery. Delivery means you signed all documents and take possession. Depending on time of the month, some dealers may process the sales with Ford once a week, the dealer I bought mine from submits it usually same day but within 24 hours depending on how busy they are.

I am bad at Spanish but this guy is comparing ST to other top dogs. Jaguar FPace and others. He does good job describing mechanics.

What guy?:dunno:

Peter

So I was digging around the cargo area and looked at the emergency spare storage area. There is a small funnel on the left side in a storage slot and the right side has a similar slot that looks as if it was designed to hold something but was empty.

See pic below, just wondering if anyone has
Something there or knows what it’s for.

449C59F1-F6B8-4A3F-9D2C-CE6A788CFF9B.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So I was digging around the cargo area and looked at the emergency spare storage area. There is a small funnel on the left side in a storage slot and the right side has a similar slot that looks as if it was designed to hold something but was empty.

See pic below, just wondering if anyone has
Something there or knows what it’s for.

View attachment 173334
That is for the tow hook that if it existed, screws into a fitting behind a panel on the passenger side of the front bumper. I don't have one in there either.

Back