2020 Ford Engine swap | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2020 Ford Engine swap

MikeG52

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008, Ford Explorer XLT
Hello everyone. I like the new style 2020 ford explorer but there is no V8 option. Is there a good custom shop that can swap the motor to a supercharged 5.0 coyote? I am located in GA but I can travel to near by states. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mike, welcome to the forum.

What’s your budget?

Big budget
just to get your hands on the supercharged Coyote is gonna cost ya big $$$$ like $12-18K for the drivetrain, then a new 2020 explorer is what $40-50K?
I guess selling the stock 2020 drivetrain could make you back a few bucks

Will it even fit in the 20 explorer?

Watching with interest

Hello everyone. I like the new style 2020 ford explorer but there is no V8 option. Is there a good custom shop that can swap the motor to a supercharged 5.0 coyote? I am located in GA but I can travel to near by states. Thanks
Welcome to the Forum Mike.:wave:
If the engine fits, you will likely void the entire warranty If that is a concern. You would likely also have to replace the transmission and perhaps other drivetrain parts to handle the extra power/torque.

Peter

I think I could get it done for $50-60k but I don't know why someone would dump that much in a brand new truck.

And have you checked the tuning threads? A performance tune will get you 0-60 in 4.5 and 12.7 quarters. Does it make sense to spend many thousands more for a few more tenths?

Thank you for your postings. I am just thinking about it since ford doesn't give us a V8 option anymore. My budget is about 9K if I purchase the new 2020 XLT. I was thinking crate engine and using the existing 10 speed trans since it is used in the F150 and Mustang GT. I don't know if it will fit. I am just doing the research. Also, the engine doesn't have to be supercharged.

Thank you for your postings. I am just thinking about it since ford doesn't give us a V8 option anymore. My budget is about 9K if I purchase the new 2020 XLT. I was thinking crate engine and using the existing 10 speed trans since it is used in the F150 and Mustang GT. I don't know if it will fit. I am just doing the research. Also, the engine doesn't have to be supercharged.

The existing trans is not the same. The Explorer has the 10r60 and wont hold nearly the same power as the GT or F150.

You want to do the work yourself I assume? I did all the work on my v8 ranger swap and had about $8k into the swap. I expect your looking at $20k in parts easily.

Thank again for the postings guys. Its looking like it would just be a waste of money. I will just keep my 08 4.6.

we do these kinds of swaps all the time

its best to keep the 10spd trans

your looking 9k for the engine, 4k for electronics and wiring, and another 7k in misc custom parts
+8k if you want to boost it. I'd estimate 20k for labor. Round it off to 50k. Bring that and the truck and we will call you when its done.

O&E Speed Shop
2333 Aberdeen St.
Kenner, LA 70062

Thanks for the reply. I have decided not to do it. I will just keep the truck I have.

I can understand his reason why, having a v-8 gives you a lot more headroom for performance mods. I wanted to do the same, so as soon as a 2020 explorer showed up at the dealer I went down and looked under the hood and took measurements, a coyote should fit but it will be a tight squeeze. You might be better off using the new 7.3 v8 going into the 2020 super duty's. It's rated at 430 hp and 475 tq from the factory and because it went back old school with the cam in block, it is physically smaller than the coyote or a 4.6 with 4v heads so it will fit no problem. With a 9K budget, you might be better off putting that money to the purchase of an ST and then get a custom tune. To swap a modern v8 into a 20 EX will cost you a minimum of 30K probably closer to 50

but you can re coupe some of that $$$ by selling the "old" new stuff.....
How much does that new 7.3 weigh? The old international 7.3 is 900# just the LONGBLOCK

And the old international 7.3 was a diesel also and they are typically over built and heavy. The new 7.3 is a gas engine.

I understand yes I am up on the new pushrod 7.3 gas engine
I own 3 of the old pushrod diesel powerstrokes as well
I was just curious if we had a weight for the new engine, 7.3 is alot of liters (444cu in) and they are usually pretty heavy at that size, I assume the explorer engine is a little lighter, but who knows I am still stuck in the 90's with my drivetrains :)

For 9k you could have some custom turbos designed, intercooler, cats and dp's and have a plethora of power on tap.

Turbo s:bounce:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

these STs are running low 12's with tunes.

You really need to spend that much more money to have a V8?

Hell, just wait until turbo kits, exhausts, and intercoolers come out.

Back