Explorer Power 3rd Row Seat Stuck Up | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer Power 3rd Row Seat Stuck Up

Post number 19 has been selected as best answered.

saduke

Reaction score
City, State
Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Ford Explorer Limite
My 2020 Ford Explorer Limited has power 3rd row seats. But, the seats are stuck up and I cannot get them down. I had it looked at by dealerships and they are telling me it is a computer issue. I was told it is a known issue and the Ford Factory Engineers are looking to find a solution. Has anyone else had this issue? I need the 3rd row to go down so I can utilize my cargo area.. Can I manually put them down? The Ford dealerships don't know how to put them down either... Super frustrating.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I've never really looked at trying the manual route. It may not be a good way to go. You could risk damaging the mechanism
As for it being a "known issue", I believe this is the first post here about it. It is probably controlled by a computer module as are many items in these vehicles. That module, I believe would control the mechanism (pistons?) that move the seat.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I've never really looked at trying the manual route. It may not be a good way to go. You could risk damaging the mechanism
As for it being a "known issue", I believe this is the first post here about it. It is probably controlled by a computer module as are many items in these vehicles. That module, I believe would control the mechanism (pistons?) that move the seat.

Peter
At my local Ford dealership they are telling me that it is a know issue by the Ford Engineers. And they also don't want to replace the computer module since they believe it is a computer issue? But if it's a computer issue then I don't understand why they refuse to replace the computer module for the seat? Am I missing something? Everything is still under warranty as well. I have been told by the dealership that the Ford Engineers are working on a solution and I have to wait until they figure out how to fix it. I was hoping there is a way to put the seats down in the meantime so I can utilize the cargo area.

To my knowledge, there has been nothing published here about this so-called known issue. The dealership likely won't replace the module until Ford verifies that it is the issue. I'm guessing that is the only way that the dealership will be able to make a warranty claim. I don't know if you can manually put them into the flat/folded position or not.

Peter

Using the release grab straps shouldn't have a negative result. You're just releasing the mechanical latch.

I'd love to help, but mine doesn't have a third seat at all, let a lone a powered one. :)

Any update here?
I started experiencing this issue just after I took the 2021 explorer for recall (camera software).
Fuse is ok.
Right side rear power seat works
Left side is dead. Stuck in up position. No noise.
I opened panel to see connectors are ok. I also plugged the right into left connector and vice versa and the right side remained working while left did not.
Sounds like a bad motor on the left?

Any update here?
I started experiencing this issue just after I took the 2021 explorer for recall (camera software).
Fuse is ok.
Right side rear power seat works
Left side is dead. Stuck in up position. No noise.
I opened panel to see connectors are ok. I also plugged the right into left connector and vice versa and the right side remained working while left did not.
Sounds like a bad motor on the left?
I had the whole motor mechanism replaced and computer reset and now it works perfectly. After the 3rd Ford dealership they were able to diagnose the problem and fix the issue.

I had the whole motor mechanism replaced and computer reset and now it works perfectly. After the 3rd Ford dealership they were able to diagnose the problem and fix the issue.
ok, so there's no quick home remedy. I need to bring it (yet again) to the dealership...
thx

My 2020 Ford Explorer Limited has power 3rd row seats. But, the seats are stuck up and I cannot get them down. I had it looked at by dealerships and they are telling me it is a computer issue. I was told it is a known issue and the Ford Factory Engineers are looking to find a solution. Has anyone else had this issue? I need the 3rd row to go down so I can utilize my cargo area.. Can I manually put them down? The Ford dealerships don't know how to put them down either... Super frustrating.
Does yours have the little loop pull strap on top of the seat corner shoulders where you can manually pull the strap so it can fold?

Does yours have the little loop pull strap on top of the seat corner shoulders where you can manually pull the strap so it can
my 2021 st has the strap to pull at the shoulder area but that only releases the headrest. does not release the mechanism to allow the whole seat to fold manually.
my 2021 st has the strap to pull at the shoulder area but that only releases the headrest. does not release the mechanism to allow the whole seat to fold manually.

Mine is a slight pull for headrest I think then a harder full pull until it clicks to fold… interesting how the models are different lol! You’d think they’d make them standard

I don't think the power seats have a strap to fold/unfold them. It's strictly electric.
EDIT; Just read the manual and it seems that some 6th gen Explorers do have a strap.

Peter

I don't think the power seats have a strap to fold/unfold them. It's strictly electric.
EDIT; Just read the manual and it seems that some 6th gen Explorers do have a strap.

Peter
It required a software update 🙄
SmartSelect_20220111-193019_Gallery.jpg

Thank you for reporting back. Much appreciated. :thumbsup:

Peter

Im having the same problem the dealer ship says we need a new command module.

^^Welcome to the Forum. :wave:

Peter

Possibly related to this bulletin: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2021/MC-10186402-0001.pdf

Not sure if anyone else is still having this issue, but I finally found a solution on YouTube. The guy that made the video is "Ford Boss Me", posted about a month ago. The video is titled "2020 - 2022 Explorer 3rd Row seat Not Working Fix".

You hold the the Left and Right buttons down together for up to One minute. The stuck seat will then cycle down, then up, or vice versa depending on where stuck.

My rear seat was stuck in the up position, and I tried pulling fuses, removing panels to check motor plugs under seat, and finally called every Ford dealer within an hours drive, just to find out there are no open appointments til mid January. Considered buying a motor myself and putting it in, even though still under warranty. I hate having a warranty, but no way to actually get the vehicle in to have it fixed.

This trick fixed it in 40 seconds, unbelievable. Hopefully it doesn't happen again. I also wish there was a manual bypass. The tether only drops the headrest, and does nothing to the seat back itself.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not sure if anyone else is still having this issue, but I finally found a solution on YouTube. The guy that made the video is "Ford Boss Me", posted about a month ago. The video is titled "2020 - 2022 Explorer 3rd Row seat Not Working Fix".

You hold the the Left and Right buttons down together for up to One minute. The stuck seat will then cycle down, then up, or vice versa depending on where stuck.

Omggggggg it worked!!!!!! Thank you!!!!
My rear seat was stuck in the up position, and I tried pulling fuses, removing panels to check motor plugs under seat, and finally called every Ford dealer within an hours drive, just to find out there are no open appointments til mid January. Considered buying a motor myself and putting it in, even though still under warranty. I hate having a warranty, but no way to actually get the vehicle in to have it fixed.

This trick fixed it in 40 seconds, unbelievable. Hopefully it doesn't happen again. I also wish there was a manual bypass. The tether only drops the headrest, and does nothing to the seat back itself.

Back