Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL '20 ST
Callsign
AB7FH
https://jalopnik.com/this-is-the-2020-ford-explorer-before-youre-supposed-to-1828528782

uolrzl42rznynw9zmriy.jpg

h6jn9wmgkyiqq0y0kiz4.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well,
Our "truck" looks more like a refrigerator on wheels than this new one does.
Just trying to be positive about it.

LOL, yes that's very, very true.

Not a fan of the front in that it looks too much like something from Toyota. Interior and the rest looks great though.
2020-Ford-Explorer.jpg

I think that’s pretty good looking. Looks like a mix of a Range Rover, 4 Runner and the previous Explorer. Also looks like Ford might have added an actual skid plate (finally) to the front. Did I hear the V8 option was coming back too?

What I am really curious about is if it will be RWD?

What I am really curious about is if it will be RWD?

Yes, been posted many times about it. The fwd is gone for the 6th gen. It will be very similar to the Aviator in drivetrain options.

Cool.

Boss Lady is barking up my tree about a new car so I'm going to try and stall for 2021 Model.

That way all the bugs can come out on the 2020 model.

Thanks @blwnsmoke

Cool.

Boss Lady is barking up my tree about a new car so I'm going to try and stall for 2021 Model.

That way all the bugs can come out on the 2020 model.

Thanks
They're still working out the bugs on the 5th gen.:D Merry Christmas.

Peter

I can't stand the ever increasing height of the beltline, and the way it makes an ascent towards the back...such an unfortunate design. It's like they're trying to make the third window a pinhole.

They're still working out the bugs on the 5th gen.:D Merry Christmas.

Peter

As long as I don't get a Carbon Monoxide Mobile I'll be good!

Merry Christmas All!

I can't stand the ever increasing height of the beltline, and the way it makes an ascent towards the back...such an unfortunate design. It's like they're trying to make the third window a pinhole.
While I agree that the belt line 'appears' to be a little higher as it approaches the rear, I think it is accentuated by the new sloping roof line. The 3rd row window shape has been slightly altered but looks to have the same overall area as the pre 2020 model.

Peter

2020.jpg

2017 Platinum3.JPG

I really think it looks too much like the current model from the profile. I’ve seen some cars get a mid cycle “refresh” that look more different from the previous version. When you consider that the 5th gen was already refreshed a few years ago, hopefully the actual 2020 un camouflaged pictures will reveal more obvious newness.

I really think it looks too much like the current model from the profile. I’ve seen some cars get a mid cycle “refresh” that look more different from the previous version. When you consider that the 5th gen was already refreshed a few years ago, hopefully the actual 2020 un camouflaged pictures will reveal more obvious newness.
There are many more changes than just the sheet metal. New front and changes to back end. New platform along with new transmission and engine. Change to RWD with AWD option. New interior and technology.

Peter

Yes, though I'm surprised it's still camouflaged since it's already been unveiled.

Me too, although I was surprised in general that a camo-ed car was left unattended in a hotel parking lot. Considering the temperature here, maybe it's going for cold weather testing.

It was a lot lower than I expected, seemed to be at the same height as my grandmas subaru outback actually. And felt quite small too, compared to my 5th gen (background), walking around it.

Me too, although I was surprised in general that a camo-ed car was left unattended in a hotel parking lot. Considering the temperature here, maybe it's going for cold weather testing.

It was a lot lower than I expected, seemed to be at the same height as my grandmas subaru outback actually. And felt quite small too, compared to my 5th gen (background), walking around it.
The 6th gen is actually a little larger than the 5th gen. The biggest change is in the wheelbase which went from 112.8" to 119.1" which would probably improve the ride a somewhat. My MKT was 117.9. According to the posted specs sheet, which doesn't include the Sport or Hybrid, the Platinum sits slightly higher than the rest and 0.2" higher than the 2017.

Peter

I know its a whole new platform, all new vehicle, but man it sure looks alot like the 2019!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The 6th gen is actually a little larger than the 5th gen. The biggest change is in the wheelbase which went from 112.8" to 119.1" which would probably improve the ride a somewhat. My MKT was 117.9. According to the posted specs sheet, which doesn't include the Sport or Hybrid, the Platinum sits slightly higher than the rest and 0.2" higher than the 2017.

Peter

I guess the camo worked really well at confusing my perception then. I got some more shots in daylight, and of the interior. Wonder how it's gonna look without camo.

Back