• Register Today It's free!

2020 Ford Explorer XLT

Edna

Reaction score
City, State
Hewitt, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 FORD XLT
January 2020, I bought a brand new 2020 Ford Explorer XLT, off the dealership lot with only 5 miles on it. Approximately two weeks later I had to take it back to the dealership because of a clicking noise in my dashboard that I frequently heard. The suv could be sitting for hours and I would approach my vehicle and hear the noise. Well my vehicle stayed at the dealership for 2 weeks for only them to tell my the couldn't duplicate the problem. Right off the bat I knew it was a lie because I heard the clicking noise often and mind you they had the vehicle 2 weeks. You didn't have to drive the vehicle to hear the clicking noise you could stand by the front of the vehicle and hear the same noise. When I got home "same noise"...fast forward after about a month my transmission started to mess up, at this point the vehicle had 2498 miles on it to be exact. My first day starting a new job, my new ford explorer will not get me there, I thought I would be late, I wanted to cry. The vehicle didn't want to drive, I would put the gear in park, then back in drive, press that gas, the suv would jerk and it would barely move with a loud engine noise that sounded like the transmission was stuck in gear. I finally parked it and had it towed to a different ford dealership who was able to find on upshift 3rd and 4th gear to be jerking. I was told the transmission fluid was low and that they put almost a quart of fluid in. I didn't understand how could a brand new vehicle with less than 3000 miles be low. I was able to drive the suv home with no issues. What led me into finding this forum was because yesterday evening getting ready to go to work I got this same transmission problem. So I got on the internet to see if anybody else were having issues with their transmission in their 2020 Ford explorers. About a week prior I felt like my vehicle wasn't driving the same, I was starting to think the transmission was messing up again.....I'm by no means a mechanic but I knew it wasn't driving right nor sounding right. To my surprise it wouldn't get me to work yesterday because the car wouldn't drive it just roared. This morning I had it towed to a Ford dealership in my home town. At this point the vehicle has a little over 4000 miles. I am terrified to drive it because I'm scared it my happen in traffic and cause a serious accident. Im currently waiting to see what they will find this time, in the meantime I will be contacting the dealership where I bought it from to replace it or something. 😪

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum Edna. :wave:
Sorry to hear about the issues you are having. In regards to the clicking, does the vehicle do it when you are driving as well? The reason I ask is that these 2020 Explorers, my Aviator included, make all kinds of noises when you get near them. Also after you turn them off. Check out this thread if you haven't already; Sound after sitting a while
I see that avio07 has pointed you to the transmission Field Service Action thread. I don't know if that would be your issue since you don't seem to be able to get the vehicle to go in the first place. Did the dealer provide a loaner? Although they are not obligated to do so, most do it as a courtesy to the customer.

Peter

A quart low? Sounds like you have a cooler leak.

January 2020, I bought a brand new 2020 Ford Explorer XLT, off the dealership lot with only 5 miles on it. Approximately two weeks later I had to take it back to the dealership because of a clicking noise in my dashboard that I frequently heard. The suv could be sitting for hours and I would approach my vehicle and hear the noise. Well my vehicle stayed at the dealership for 2 weeks for only them to tell my the couldn't duplicate the problem. Right off the bat I knew it was a lie because I heard the clicking noise often and mind you they had the vehicle 2 weeks. You didn't have to drive the vehicle to hear the clicking noise you could stand by the front of the vehicle and hear the same noise. When I got home "same noise"...fast forward after about a month my transmission started to mess up, at this point the vehicle had 2498 miles on it to be exact. My first day starting a new job, my new ford explorer will not get me there, I thought I would be late, I wanted to cry. The vehicle didn't want to drive, I would put the gear in park, then back in drive, press that gas, the suv would jerk and it would barely move with a loud engine noise that sounded like the transmission was stuck in gear. I finally parked it and had it towed to a different ford dealership who was able to find on upshift 3rd and 4th gear to be jerking. I was told the transmission fluid was low and that they put almost a quart of fluid in. I didn't understand how could a brand new vehicle with less than 3000 miles be low. I was able to drive the suv home with no issues. What led me into finding this forum was because yesterday evening getting ready to go to work I got this same transmission problem. So I got on the internet to see if anybody else were having issues with their transmission in their 2020 Ford explorers. About a week prior I felt like my vehicle wasn't driving the same, I was starting to think the transmission was messing up again.....I'm by no means a mechanic but I knew it wasn't driving right nor sounding right. To my surprise it wouldn't get me to work yesterday because the car wouldn't drive it just roared. This morning I had it towed to a Ford dealership in my home town. At this point the vehicle has a little over 4000 miles. I am terrified to drive it because I'm scared it my happen in traffic and cause a serious accident. Im currently waiting to see what they will find this time, in the meantime I will be contacting the dealership where I bought it from to replace it or something. 😪

I bought mine in October 2019. By the end of October it was getting a new transmission. But the parts were on backorder. It was in the shop for 57 days. Ford bought it back through their Reacquired Vehicle program in Mid February, and I got a new Explorer, 11 miles on it. By the 2nd week of March, it was in the shop having transmission problems. They fixed it in 11 days. Early May, Back in the shop and getting a new transmission, BUT, the parts are on backorder. Im at a complete loss at what to do.

I bought mine in October 2019. By the end of October it was getting a new transmission. But the parts were on backorder. It was in the shop for 57 days. Ford bought it back through their Reacquired Vehicle program in Mid February, and I got a new Explorer, 11 miles on it. By the 2nd week of March, it was in the shop having transmission problems. They fixed it in 11 days. Early May, Back in the shop and getting a new transmission, BUT, the parts are on backorder. Im at a complete loss at what to do.
You had two cars with failed transmission?? That’s really unfortunate. Did they give you a equivalent loaner vehicle at the very least?

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
That is truly unfortunate. The 2020 Explorer seems to be having quite a few transmission problems. What are/were the symptoms?

Peter

You had two cars with failed transmission?? That’s really unfortunate. Did they give you a equivalent loaner vehicle at the very least?
Yes two. The first time they switched me out of loaners four different times. I went through two Explorers, an Ecosport and then a rental from Enterprise. This time they have me in an Escape.

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
That is truly unfortunate. The 2020 Explorer seems to be having quite a few transmission problems. What are/were the symptoms?

Peter
The first one was a very loud grinding noise when driving under 60mph. My current one just basically locked up on my daughter and I driving and i had zero control. I pulled over and restarted it and drove it slowly to the dealership. It was driving extremely slow, and the RPM’s kept accelerating but the car wouldn’t go. It’s been a ridiculous process. It has about 4600 miles on it and has now been in the shop for a total of 23 days already.

Clicking noise is normal.

the transmission is not. Man I didn’t realize so many had transmission issues. I purchased ours with A build date in feb 2020. haven’t had a transmission issue yet. I thought the 10spd was a decent trans. If ours craps the bed I’ll be going with a. Durango

Back