2020 Heated Seat Issues

Winston2020!

Reaction score
City, State
Portland
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer Platinum
Hi,

Just purchased 2020 Explorer and having problems with heated seats. Been in shop twice and I’m getting frustrated. Any help would be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
"having problems with heated seats" is quite a general statement. What exactly is the problem?

Peter

Sorry.

Heater in driver seat stopped working. Took it for service and they said it was a module issue and needed to be replaced. Whatever they did do, made the passenger seat heater stop as well. Took it in again for service and they said it was fixed. Wiring module issue. Had it back one day, used the massage seat feature and now the seat heater is not working again.

Is the fuse okay? Did you use the massage feature the first time it happened as well?

Peter

I heard Landmark ford in Tigard Oregon has a great service department maybe try them?

It heated up this morning for a few minutes and then stopped heating even when I let it sit as off for a bit. Once a day is all I get I guess. ha

Landmark is where I took and will have to take back again. Thanks!

Is the fuse okay? Did you use the massage feature the first time it happened as well?

Peter
I did use the massage before and the heat worked for a few times after. I have not checked the fuse but will. Thanks for the info

Hi,

Just purchased 2020 Explorer and having problems with heated seats. Been in shop twice and I’m getting frustrated. Any help would be appreciated.
Have the found the problem as of yet? I have a 2020ST that Ford has been working on since September last year. First said plug was bad under seat, repaired. Only seat that doesn't work is the drivers seat. That repair lasted two weeks. Back to Ford in November, they determined I needed a blower and heat pad. They changed the blower but the pad was on back order. Waited 2 MONTHS for the heat pad to come in. Two weeks ago, they replaced the heat pad. Still did not fix. Next, they ordered the module last Tuesday. Told me it was a two day wait. Now it's a week later, still waiting for the part.

Hard to believe this fine Ford work of modern engineering that I paid $60,000 for the pleasure of ownership is un-repairable! It was 12 months old with 9100 miles. Both the dealer and the factory are trying to fix.

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Looks like they are rebuilding the entire seat.;) Part may be on backorder if many others are having the same issue.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Looks like they are rebuilding the entire seat.;) Part may be on backorder if many others are having the same issue.

Peter
Between Ford Motor and the Dealer I am just disgusted with the whole situation. Brought the ST in last Monday, when they told me to, for the heat pad installation. Called at the end of the day on Tuesday. Since the pad did not fix the problem, Ford Tech told them to replace the module. That part was supposedly in Tennessee and was to be rush shipped to the dealership- two days (to be delivered last Thursday). Called at EOB on Thursday, no part. Needed the Explorer on Friday to help my daughter move, so the dealer told me, "Bring it back on Monday", so I complied. Dropped the car off on Monday morning, called last night to see if the car was ready. Dealer still does not have the part.

We have always been a Ford Family, Between my father, brother, and myself this Explorer ST is the 23RD new Ford. This will be my last.

Between Ford Motor and the Dealer I am just disgusted with the whole situation. Brought the ST in last Monday, when they told me to, for the heat pad installation. Called at the end of the day on Tuesday. Since the pad did not fix the problem, Ford Tech told them to replace the module. That part was supposedly in Tennessee and was to be rush shipped to the dealership- two days (to be delivered last Thursday). Called at EOB on Thursday, no part. Needed the Explorer on Friday to help my daughter move, so the dealer told me, "Bring it back on Monday", so I complied. Dropped the car off on Monday morning, called last night to see if the car was ready. Dealer still does not have the part.

We have always been a Ford Family, Between my father, brother, and myself this Explorer ST is the 23RD new Ford. This will be my last.
There is a nationwide electronic component supply shortage among all manufacturers. They can't even finish brand new builds for lack of parts.

There is a nationwide electronic component supply shortage among all manufacturers. They can't even finish brand new builds for lack of parts.
This doesn't seem to be an issue for Chicago Assembly. They just build them with whatever parts they have and if the buyer notices the stuff is missing it is called a "Running Change". Guess if they run out of turbo chargers there will be a "Running Change" to normally aspirated engines. Sarcasm perhaps, but it does seem that a lot of cars were shipped without parts like wind deflectors, tow hooks, door seals, roof drains, etc. It's shameful.

I don't think the rear defector issue was ever resolved as to which vehicles were or were not supposed to have them. As for the tow hooks, they were eliminated along with the glovebox clip, I believe, as part of a "Running Change". This is not new as the 5th gen also was affected with a few similar issues.

Peter

Perhaps. Appears like the parts go on backorder so they produce the vehicle and don't take care of the customer later. A tow hook is very useful so in my opinion it should be supplied. One can still purchase the parts from Ford so either they believe they are still necessary / valuable or maybe they have become Genuine Ford Accessories.

Does your Explorer have a place to install the tow hook? Many now do not.

Peter

Hi,

Good luck. I have a 2020 ST Explorer, 30 months old with 19,995 miles. Has been back to the dealer 8 times for heated seats and has been physically sitting at the service department 5 of the 30 months of ownership. They have replaced the seat pads twice, control module twice, modular once, fan assembly under the driver's seat once, wiring harness once. I am on my 3rd replacement battery. The longest my heated seats have worked is when I drove it home off the lot----7 months.

For a $60,000 car, you expect the heated seats to actually work?

Best of Luck

Either you are very slow to anger or you are very hot headed. Either several of the 23 were bad and you simply forgave or one bad seat heating element is enough to outweigh the 23 at least half way decent cars.

I don't buy any GM products but it wasn't due to one bad experience. At one point that's all I owned. In total I've owned 5 GMs. Out of those 5 all were lemons, but one was excusable since the wife paid less than $1000 for it when it was 8 years old. The one we bought new was in the dealership every three months with a list of issues to be fixed. The other 4 had less than 100k miles on them and I was fixing them every other month.

Conversely we have owned 10 Fords without any major issues. Even the old rusted out ones we had were solid mechanically.

Good luck. I have a 2020 ST Explorer, 30 months old with 19,995 miles. Has been back to the dealer 8 times for heated seats and has been physically sitting at the service department 5 of the 30 months of ownership. They have replaced the seat pads twice, control module twice, modular once, fan assembly under the driver's seat once, wiring harness once. I am on my 3rd replacement battery. The longest my heated seats have worked is when I drove it home off the lot----7 months.

For a $60,000 car, you expect the heated seats to actually work?

Best of Luck
Have they checked the wiring harness? Also, the cost of a vehicle has nothing to do with whether or not it will have issues that can be easy or difficult to diagnose and repair. Actually, the more electronic features it has, the more susceptible it likely will be to certain failures. Have you checked to see if you qualify for a buyback under your state's Lemon Law?

Peter

Have they checked the wiring harness? Also, the cost of a vehicle has nothing to do with whether or not it will have issues that can be easy or difficult to diagnose and repair. Actually, the more electronic features it has, the more susceptible it likely will be to certain failures. Have you checked to see if you qualify for a buyback under your state's Lemon Law?

Peter
I have had my 2021 almost one year. Only problem to date was the drivers seat airbag after about 3 months of ownership. Turned out it was a problem with the connector between the seat bottom and the seat back. Technician said he thought he fixed it, but he ordered a new harness and told me to come back if it did it again. He said that most of the problems are usually wiring or connectors, not modules. However many techs start replacing modules, so the problem persists. So far, no further problems and I did not go back for a harness replacement, figuring I best leave well enough alone.

During October of 2020, my wife wanted an EcoSport (not sure why). After about 12 months of ownership, the speakers quit working. I took it to a dealer and they ordered a module they diagnosed as bad. When it came in, I took it in for replacement. A couple days later, wifey was on the Interstate and the car would not stay at speed on a hill. It would run up to 5000 rpm's and still lose speed. BUT, did not throw a code. I took it back and got the standard "Drove it 40 miles and could not duplicate customer complaint". Funny, the Tech put that on the service receipt, but the miles in and the miles out on the receipt showed less than 20 miles driven. A little lie? Car still did it and I went back and complained to the Service Writer and asked that he or a Technician ride with me to experience the problem. He refused, told me there was not a problem and they would not work on it again. He also said that I was free to take it to another dealer.

On the way home, it started throwing codes for the timing sensor, airbags, traction control, a total of 19 codes. Took it to another dealer and the Technician found a naked spot in a wire, taped it up, cleared the codes and it has never had another problem. I strongly suspect that during the module replacement, the wiring harness was damaged.

Guess what? I have bought 6 cars from the original dealer, and will never go back on their lot. So the Service Writer's suggestion that I use another dealer was the right suggestion! No use to complain to Ford, as a bad dealer is a bad dealer and surely Ford knows this dealer is bad. I have actually advised two friends who were ready to buy a new Ford to avoid this dealer, and they took my advise.

A friend bought a new John Deere farm tractor. He has had problems with the hydraulic lift, failure to start and a couple other problems. Each time, it turned out to be a bad ground on some component. These new vehicles and equipment have many grounds at various points.

Told you this just to point out what the Technician said about my Explorer airbag issue, most of the problems are wiring related, not bad modules. Just think how many connectors and grounding points there are in the wiring of these modern vehicles.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My 2020 with 13k is recently back from a 10 day stay at the dealership due to the heated seats not working as well. They changed the heating pad on driver side , a wire harness , 2 pigtails , and a module. They claim the module damaged the other items......

Back