2020 Limited Explorer with Serious Transmission Issues | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2020 Limited Explorer with Serious Transmission Issues

Rhonda6754

Reaction score
City, State
Leander
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer Limited
Has anyone had large transmission issues with their 2020 Explorer? What has been done to remedy these at your dealership? Are people just getting this repaired and returned and waiting for it to happen again? My explorer has gotten stuck in first gear 3 times where i had a difficult time even getting the car to pull over to turn it off and attempt to reset it. Luckily, each time I didn't get hit by a car right behind me. This has happened right from the beginning when I turn on the car and also in the middle of a trip out running errands when I attempted to accelerate from an intersection from a turn lane. Within the past 2 weeks, the explorer has started to have extremely jerky shifts and makes loud rattle noises with every shift. Our car is currently at the dealership awaiting a diagnosis where they say they are backed up a minimum of 5 days just to diagnose the car with transmission issues and there are cars on the lot that have been waiting over 30 days for parts after diagnosis because this is such a widespread issue.

As if this wasn't bad enough, I picked up a loaner 2020 XLT explorer yesterday with 1,500 miles on it while my car is at the dealership. Today, the transmission acted up wouldn't accelerate and was extremely jerky. It was also rolling with my foot on the brake and wouldn't come to a complete stop. I tried starting and stopping the engine over 10 minutes and it continued. After 45 minutes with the car off, it seemed to reset itself. I was able to drive the car to the dealership and get yet another Explorer as a loaner. I am terrified to drive this car. I have 3 small children and this is SUCH a safety issue!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Rhonda, your second paragraph sounds like a description of my Platinum transmission. The dealer can't find anything wrong. My vehicle stalls in second gear when I pull out into traffic. As a result I'm really on edge worrying about getting in someone's way. I've had the brake peddle issue too.

Rhonda -- My ST with 6,600 miles had this exact issue for the first time a week ago. Turned the car on/off multiple times and still was stuck in 1st gear. Used the paddle shifters to shift into 2nd gear and it abruptly downshifted back to first gear. Finally seemed to reset itself after I turned it off for 10 minutes and let it sit, but shifting hasn't been the same and I've been hesitant to trust the vehicle to perform/respond quickly. Took it on a 500 mile road trip with no issues but just dropped it off at the dealer tonight for them to look in it. Doubtful they'll be able to replicate it without any warning lights showing up but I just want to get it documented. Let me know if your dealer figures anything out.

2020 limited with 2300 miles blew clamp and hose from trans going 60-70 mph on interstate 35 while traveling. Got it back seemed to shift fine, finished my trip and now shifts rough. Throws gear when putting in reverse or drive. Going into service while I’m on vacation, which sucks. Loaners never available at ford.

Did you have any shifting problems before this happened? Loaners, when provided, are at the dealer's expense. Ford does not offer them.
Please keep us informed. Thanks.

Peter

Did you have any shifting problems before this happened? Loaners, when provided, are at the dealer's expense. Ford does not offer them.
Please keep us informed. Thanks.

Peter
Peter, I'm speaking without bothering to check for sure, but I believe my Ford extended warranty includes loaners. Regardless, my dealer, the Larry Miller outlet in Phoenix, has always provided loaners without question. I hate having my car in the shop...too often lately...but LM has stepped up to the plate every single time. I admire their patience.

Yes, you can get loaners if you bought the Ford ESP and included 1st day rental. Otherwise, I believe the rental/loaner is available after the 1st day.
There is a slight additional charge for that ESP. That does not apply to the original factory warranty and is mentioned in the Warranty Guide.
My dealer will also provide a loaner regardless of which brand of vehicle you bring in to have serviced.

Peter

No Trans issues prior to incident. Ford dealer out of loaners so they had none to give out or else I would have gotten one.

No Trans issues prior to incident. Ford dealer out of loaners so they had none to give out or else I would have gotten one.

If you bought an ESP, then you can get one through your dealer via Enterprise. You would get it the next day unless you got 1st day rental. Ford has an agreement with Enterprise for this.

Has anyone had large transmission issues with their 2020 Explorer? What has been done to remedy these at your dealership? Are people just getting this repaired and returned and waiting for it to happen again? My explorer has gotten stuck in first gear 3 times where i had a difficult time even getting the car to pull over to turn it off and attempt to reset it. Luckily, each time I didn't get hit by a car right behind me. This has happened right from the beginning when I turn on the car and also in the middle of a trip out running errands when I attempted to accelerate from an intersection from a turn lane. Within the past 2 weeks, the explorer has started to have extremely jerky shifts and makes loud rattle noises with every shift. Our car is currently at the dealership awaiting a diagnosis where they say they are backed up a minimum of 5 days just to diagnose the car with transmission issues and there are cars on the lot that have been waiting over 30 days for parts after diagnosis because this is such a widespread issue.

As if this wasn't bad enough, I picked up a loaner 2020 XLT explorer yesterday with 1,500 miles on it while my car is at the dealership. Today, the transmission acted up wouldn't accelerate and was extremely jerky. It was also rolling with my foot on the brake and wouldn't come to a complete stop. I tried starting and stopping the engine over 10 minutes and it continued. After 45 minutes with the car off, it seemed to reset itself. I was able to drive the car to the dealership and get yet another Explorer as a loaner. I am terrified to drive this car. I have 3 small children and this is SUCH a safety issue!
2020 explorer xlt total transmission replacement at 6600 miles. Bought new though it did have 2k miles on the odometer. Asked why they didnt replace the very flimsy, failure prone transmission cooler at the same time. Get the suprising answer that the original cooler had cracked and been replaced prior to my purchase. This was never disclosed. They claim the cooler failure did not cause any damage to the transmission ! the tranny failed 6 months 4k miles later. also a water leak that required replacement of carpet and padding prior to to sale was never disclosed.
10 days after the sale had a total total dead battery , ford roadside assistance managed to jump it and I took it straight to the dealer. of cource they could find nothing wrong , think I may have left lights on ! ? Problem repeats once a month with the message car in deep sleep mode.
Durring the 24 day transmission repair , the car went in deep sleep there so they could no longer deny the problem. Battery replacement.
much complaining and calls emails gets lots of sympathy , minimal results. Started lemon law notifications ( Florida ) they are taking the claim more seriously. Ford did provide a 3 year extended warranty to help satisfy our concerns and unhappiness. Good but not enough. No resale value. Ford wont buy it back - - yet.

^^Welcome to the Forum Stephen. :wave:
Leaving the headlights ON won't have killed the battery. The Battery Saver Program would have turned them OFF after 10 minutes. Do know if the dealer performed the software updates for the Deep Sleep Mode issue? Deep Sleep Mode - Battery Drain Issue?

Peter

Back